rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

tedge
Gaffney's Opening Gambit
tedge (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:59
I was speculating about how Alan Gaffney might approach his challenging task and what he might say to the players when he first meets them; possibly something along the lines of:

"You are all top class rugby players, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Between you and we coaches we can and will sort out the temporary blip we are going through. Let's start by you individually telling me how you personally might do better "

This is Rob Horne's view of Gaffney:

BBC Rugby

St.Sinner
Re: Gaffney's Opening Gambit
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:50
Not liking the part where Dickens knows him well & that Gaffney tried to get Dorian to work with him previously. Suggests he likes them & might not help with the neutral outsiders view we need to make tough decisions. I hope that's not the case. He's here to save the club not make friends. If Dorian stays we get relegated, we need a new beginning. I just hope Gaffney comes in and is straight to the point.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:00
Quote:
St.Sinner
Not liking the part where Dickens knows him well & that Gaffney tried to get Dorian to work with him previously. Suggests he likes them & might not help with the neutral outsiders view we need to make tough decisions. I hope that's not the case. He's here to save the club not make friends. If Dorian stays we get relegated, we need a new beginning. I just hope Gaffney comes in and is straight to the point.

Interim managers are more than just managers. They are accustomed to going in, sorting out the s**t and moving on. Nothing different there.

The problem that is Dorian was allowed to become serious by Dorian and Jim Mallinder. Gaffney is a different kettle of fish and time has moved on considerably since their last encounter. No relevance today.

Whatever Dickens says, has to be taken with a pinch of salt, as he could well be seeing his own career go out of the door, shortly after the end of the season. So again, no relevance.

I think we just need to take a chill pill, now. Let him settle in and watch quietly - note quietly! All change takes time, and this is no different. If we win 2/3/4 more games this season, we'll be doing very well, considering where we are.

Then it is up to the new guy.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:03
Quote:
St.Sinner

Soon after Gaf tried to get him at Saracens Dorian coached our forwards to the prem. That was an astute move from Gaf, the right coach at the right time. Hopefully and now that the game has moved on he would recommend someone that has moved with the times

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:20
I am pretty sure Alan will be speaking candidly to senior players to get a handle on the dysfunctional issues at the club.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:28
Bear in mind that Gaffney's forte is backs rather than forwards so he will be pretty dependent on West.Calls for West to go now are not realistic otherwise he would have gone with JM. He will remain as the only forwards coach until at least the end of the season (IMO of course) so there will be no radical change in the pack coaching. All we can hope is that Gaffney can inspire them to greater effort.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:46
Quote:
tedge
Bear in mind that Gaffney's forte is backs rather than forwards so he will be pretty dependent on West.Calls for West to go now are not realistic otherwise he would have gone with JM. He will remain as the only forwards coach until at least the end of the season (IMO of course) so there will be no radical change in the pack coaching. All we can hope is that Gaffney can inspire them to greater effort.

not necessarily Tedge, I'm sure part of his remit is to provide the board a view of what he thinks is wrong and a proposal as to how to rectify it. this would need to be a fairly quick assessment taking on board a number of different viewpoints. if there is as we believe a bad apple that is caustic to moving forward he could and should recommend an individual(s) is removed for the good of progressing. of course that either requires another temporary replacement coming in for said individual or another shuffle of the current coaching staff to accommodate.

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out our scrums have been poor and our ball carrying in the forwards is not cutting it. queue conversation with West as to what he has and is doing about it, if he doesn't provide a satisfactory response then it should be farewell. we will see

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:48
If you’re Gaffney what do you do? New Year New boss clean slate no assumptions and stick with senior players for the time being. Or having seen the Quins game do you make a statement and drop senior players or change the captain?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:57
He might feel obliged to give the seniors an opportunity to impress him - clean slate and all that ?

acl saint
acl saint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 14:57
Quote:
andysaint
If you’re Gaffney what do you do? New Year New boss clean slate no assumptions and stick with senior players for the time being. Or having seen the Quins game do you make a statement and drop senior players or change the captain?

I hope with his experience just by watching one game he’s cotoned on to a few problems that need addressing.
If they don’t impress at training I hope he makes it clear they’ll be warming the bench.
He also watched the wandies so May see a few of them in the first team.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:25
'You have ten days to show me that you want to play for this club......'

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 16:56
Quote:
Mobbs
'You have ten days to show me that you want to play for this club......'

Or what?

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 17:14
Quote:
acl saint
Quote:
andysaint

I hope with his experience just by watching one game he’s cotoned on to a few problems that need addressing.
If they don’t impress at training I hope he makes it clear they’ll be warming the bench.
He also watched the wandies so May see a few of them in the first team.

I’d imagine he’ll have watched a few videos of performances since taking the job. Do your research for the role before starting, it’s what I think most do before starting a new role.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 17:17
Gaffney's job is partly short term. He therefore has short term objectives in terms of performance. He will be setting out what he wants from the coaches and players next week, next month, next 3 months. During that time, those who can perform and those who can't will become clear to him.

I daresay the other part of his role is longer term. Why are Saints where they are? How did that happen? What recommendations does he have to avoid repetition of past mistakes? How do we move forward and transition from poor through good to being great again?

Good luck Sir!

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 17:50
First team meeting:

Hi Gents I am Alan gaffney, as you know I am here for the rest of the season. Nice too meet you all.

A. Who is willing to fight and scap and put in every last ounce of effort for the Badge you are wearing!?
If so please stay seated..
If not please leave the room.

B. We have a hell of a lot too work on, are you all willing too listen, adapt, embrace new ideas and work harder than you have for the last 3 seasons?

Great.

C. You were all near enough too a man walking after 5 minutes on Saturday?
Is this because you are unfit?
Or didn't want too put the effort in?

If the answer is yes not fit enough, see you on the training pitch in 5 minutes.
If the answer is lack of effort, I will also see you in 5 minutes on the training pitch.

Either way I'm about too put you in the pain locker too see what your all made of...

Thanks for listening I'm Alan Gaffney.

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:30
Gentlemen good morning.

1) anyone who does not want to be at Saints to honour and respect the history tradition and pride of this club whatever the stage or length left on your contract I suggest you speak with your agents.

2) No One is bigger than this club and that goes from Chairman. CEO, coaching staff, physios and players.

3) We will as a team (see above) adopt total honesty and always front up,on the pitch and off.

4) No more, mealy mouthed post-match comments, tell it like it is after a humiliation like last Saturdays. Mr Dickens in the chronic "they gave 110% etc, simply utter mathematical bollocks and untrue Because 100% = 100 from 100 utter horseshit, win or lose that is what I want to see total honesty. The comments post-match from Alan Dickens should have been thus:

"Not competitive
Not Professional
Not acceptable

My role in preparing this team for this match means I share the blame equally and will endeavour to correct the issues hat were clear for all to see including the players I offer my apologies to all the loyal Saints supporters who made the trip for the capitulation of the Saints team".

Finally gentlemen we have half a season to save this club are you with me? Really because there are no hiding places.

Stingray66
Stingray66 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:31
As long as he puts us back to winning ways I'm not really bothered what he says.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:59
It wouldn't surprise me if AG has not already had a long discussion with Rob Horne, a seasoned international a player he knows well, who has not had a long association with the club, Jim or any of the remaining coaches to try and get an assessment of what the main problems may be.

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:23
He will have been studying footage of our recent matches, and will already have an idea where things are going wrong.

I would expect that he will speak to the coaches, watch a training session, and then speak to the players individually.

Then direct the coaches to do things in his way.

IT would be interesting to know if the players were in today. I think they should have been as time is of the essence.

WesternWanderer
WesternWanderer (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:43
It's quite tempting to drop Mr Hartley - which will put the proverbial rocket up everyone. Reece Marshall playing well for Wandies - so surely earned a start for firsts.

Brackleysaint
01 January, 2018 19:50
Could be wrong but can't see him dropping Dylan, don't think Eddie would want that.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:17
On current performances, Eddie would be more than justified in dropping Dylan to the England bench or more. The England coach has previoulsy snown that he is capable of being ruthless as Woody and Tee could testify.

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:03
In the world of business, I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who walks in and on day 1 says "I know exactly what we are going to do..." however, the performance of the team is extremely public and Mr Gaffney will have seen very specific issues that he will want to correct on day 1.

I suspect that there will be a couple of personnel changes - nothing wholesale - but at least 2 forwards and a 1 back.

I would then expect to see a massive week of defense training. You are not going to make the team fit in a week, or resolve the set piece issues or even correct the "psychological issues" but you can, hopefully, stop the massive shipping of points every game and you will definitely learn about who is up for a confrontation and who can (and cannot) take instruction.. based on that, more changes in week 2.

All speculation but after the shambles of the past weeks we should not expect miracles..

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 13:07
Quote:
Brackleysaint
Could be wrong but can't see him dropping Dylan, don't think Eddie would want that.

regardless of Gaffney's relationship with Jones, I am pretty sure he will put Saints needs before England's every time. he is here to turn us around, not further our player's chances with England - one hopefully leads to the other of course, but it is crystal clear his priority is the team at FG not the one at Twickers.

Brackleysaint
02 January, 2018 13:46
Quote:
riverlodge
Quote:
Brackleysaint

regardless of Gaffney's relationship with Jones, I am pretty sure he will put Saints needs before England's every time. he is here to turn us around, not further our player's chances with England - one hopefully leads to the other of course, but it is crystal clear his priority is the team at FG not the one at Twickers.

One would like to hope this is the case, I tend to be a bit cynical, no doubt we will see in due course.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:07
This is very much like the plot for the classic American war drama, "Twelve O'Clock High" where Gregory Peck's character assesses then takes command of a demoralized and under-performing USAAF bomber squadron based in England in WW2. It is highly regarded as a study of grabbing hold of a poorly performing outfit and turning it back into a crack team.

This film is used by the U.S. Navy as an example of leadership styles in its Leadership and Management Training School, as well as various other US military training establishments. It was compulsory viewing at RAF Officers training school when I was commissioned and also for senior police officers at Bramshill.

It has many similarities with Saints' current predicament. Is The Gaffer the new General Frank Savage?

Twelve O'Clock High

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:35
There are a few on here who apparently have a regular "12 o'clock high" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net