rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Garracc
Saturday selection
Garracc (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:30
Now feel it is time to start again and pick a team to build for the future. Enough chances have been given, enough drivel has been spouted by coaches. My team for Saturday would be 15 Mallinder, 14 Elliott, 13 Horne, 12 Stephenson, 11 Collins, 10 Grayson, 9 Groom, 8 Eadie, 7 Harrison, 6 Gibson, 5 Lawes capt, 4 Ribbans, 3 Hill, 2 Haywood, 1 Waller. That would be my pick from a fully fit squad. Obviously that is not the case but that would be my starting point .That team would play week in week out on form. Most of those positions have equivalent replacements, we have a great squad in my opinion, what we don't have is new ideas. All of us want to get up in the morning looking forward to work,after 10 years of same old same old can any of us say that? Good luck Mr Gaffney, I hope you enjoy your time with us and we love your time with us and if I were a saintsman here's to enjoying work this week

SaintsMan87
Re: Saturday selection
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:55
Youíve picked 3 injured players and there is a reason we havenít seen Mitch eadie for the first team.... heís not good enough. 15 mins showed me that

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:23
Thanks, fully aware 3 are injured, that's why I said "obviously not the case". My point would be he is an 8, we bought him to develop him and I said it was my team for the future.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:26
Not yet, new boss, new year, new start, new chance to impress and save face/careers. I expect a strong, experienced selection for Gloucester at home.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:31
I am sympathetic to your dish Garracc. Iíd like to see us get a core nucleus of players together to build around for the next few years. Theough the spine of the team - Haywood, Ribbans, Ludlam - half backs is trickier since we knkw our 10 for next year - Stepho, Horne, Mallinder.

As has been pointed out, this ainít gonna happen straight away. I wish it could though. Build that core, and build a culture out of it from the centre.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:48
Maafu
Haywood
Hill/Jamal
Lawes
Ribbans
Gibson
Nutley
Harrison

Groom
Myler
Estelles (north if fit)
Stephenson
Horne
Tuala
Foden

Myler did well off the bench and we need all the experience possible right now. Territory please. If we were chasing 4th Iíd go Grayson but we are in the doo doo. That back 5 in the pack looks more active at breakdown. Glaws arenít that dominant at set piece. They do play fast rugby so I want to slow that down. Harry rested, mental and physical.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 07:31
Hard to disagree with that selection Wolfie, other than maybe Ludlam for Nutley. The three England elephants - H,W,B - are surplus to requirements at the moment until they sort out their heads. Mallinder most certainly needs a rest and a spell on the bench will not do him any harm in the long term.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:26
I think we are being a little harsh on Burrell IMO as he seems to me to be trying quite hard to put him self about. OST of the time. Wood and Hartley for sure are not playing well at present.

Iíd like to see XV who are going to run around for 80 minutes and tackle everything that moves and donít really care who they are providing they are up for a fight

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:55
It isn't hard to start dabbling around with different names such as Nutley, Ludlam etc and that's why I feel our squad is good enough. I love the fact Biggar is coming as well for his apparent character as well as his ability. I can't even comment on younger guys because I haven't seen them. All this squad needs is fresh coaching and a new found love of going in to work for a start, then someone can work on fitness and basic skills. It's going to be a step at a time and pick up what points we can.

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:25
Agree with that team HLTW and your reasoning. The back row has to be changed - it really is not working with Wood and Gibson on the flanks. Ribbans back for more dynamism. A massive step-up from all those retaining their place from last week is needed (apart from Lawes, T, Gibson, Groom and Horne, who I thought were decent).

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:49
Unfortunately I donít think nutley will make it fully, the lads 25 and no nearer regular 1st team selection and thatís for a reason.

When he broke everyone said he was the new Lewis moody but he hasnít pushed on, looks too good for wandies but not good enough for the prem. By 25 you should be a regular or moving to become one

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:03
I think the back row is a problem too, if you were Wasps and had Haskel and Hughes, then it would be a really balanced back row if you added Gibo. Gibo for lineout and maul defence, Hask for clearouts at breakdown and general grunt and a massive ball carrier in Hughes. But we are playing Gibo and Wood who are similar and do not have the grunt Hask has with Harrison who also does not have grunt. In the first example you have two out of three with grunt, but in our example you have 0 out of 3 with grunt.

When we play Wood, Gibo, Harrison together and Gloucester have Afoa or Hibbard over the ball, which of them are going to knock him of the ball?

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:07
I wouldn't disagree too much with the selection.

But, my only concern would be having Stephenson at 12 alongside Myler.
Myler plays deep and to get some go forward with the back line it needs a big 12 to make ground.
In fairness Myler had his best performances playing alongside the likes of J Downey. It also gives Burrell a chance to get up some speed before he hits the defensive line; which is probably his strongest asset.

Stephenson would be something like the failed experiment of playing Dom Waldark at 12, next to Myler, as a battering ram; unfortunately more like a battering lamb.
Francis, when he settles, will give Stephenson an opportunity to shine as a quality ball player at 12.

My only other thought would be Collins rather than Tuala. Collins has some serious pace, something we are sadly missing, and comes in looking for the ball. Was sadly unimpressed with both starting wingers against quins who stoically kept to their narrow wing channels when we needed something different to get on the front foot.

Ludlam on the bench to spell Nutters after 50 mins.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:18
Don't think Collins is fit and Ludlam might not be

Rupes
Rupes (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:23
Genuine question from a non-Saint - from the team above, is Grayson Jnr any good or too early in his development to tell?

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:28
He's the real deal in my opinion, hopefully with good coaching and sensible use he will be more than ready to take over from Biggar in a couple of seasons. By sensible use I mean used and not dumped after a game as he has been.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:29
Must be good but we are in the @#$%& so I donít really want inexperience in my team.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 18:00
I wouldn't just play the kids - we will get relegated and some of them might not recover career wise

Stop listening to Dalaglio - pick Dylan, let Eddie / Gafney / Gustard sort that issue for us, 50+ cap hookers are gold dust
Stop messing up our set piece - pick Daisy, sort the maul, fix the lineout - in particular our utter failure to compete with the opposition and then bring on dynamism in Patterson or Ribbans on 50mins as things break up - alternatively, move Jamie G to lock and just go 5 backrow with him and Lawes
Stop playing guys in the backrow that are non complementary - be clear with Wood what is expected but then play an #8 that goes to those places - not just charging anywhere they see space.. at this level, anyone from 1-15 can turn-over an isolated player - we are just handing over possession
Stop waiting for the attack to come to us.. up as a line - no charging out for a big hit / intercept - and reset..

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:27
Seems easy put like that doesn't it ....... however Jamie G at lock 😦😦😦 oh No No No not for me if we want to learn anything from players stuck in out of position !!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 07:13
I do not think all our players can turn over an Isolated player, I have seen us miss umpteen chances at this. I think that our basic skills are not up to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net