Re: Gaffney says no more coaching changes this season
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:44
Darbon says that.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:50
Entirely expected. Would think a new DOR will bring new coaches where they see they are needed. I would hope AG will recommend a forwards change of coaching in some areas is needed.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:51
Who would come in? Until you know the new top man it would be foolish for a coach to come in and maybe be replaced in three months time.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:53
I think that happened to Peter Sloane before Jim came in. Forwards coach then head coach then disappeared. As much as itís needed itís the sensible call.

nottsaint
nottsaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:32
Just said on FB that training has been good this week.....

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:50
No surprise in this, why let him sack coaches then bring in new ones. Leave at the end of the season new DOR comes in and sacks the lot again

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:02
Very interesting interview with Alan on FB via the Offy.

He talks about second involvements.We're not good at them. Glaringly obvious really but not a term you hear mentioned. Get back in the game after a tackle , after a pass , after a breakdown. Increase the number of players actively involved in the game.

I liked the way he talked about confidence. He's backing the coaches, he has to . He's very impressed with Phil Dowson.

Listen to what the guy has to say. He gets it.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:15
Quote:
nottsaint

That's alright then

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:16
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
nottsaint

That's alright then

Bit early to be hitting the Jim-juice, don't you think?**

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:18
Good interview, I am glad he has not gone in and singled out players. He said he is keeping it to the facts, as a manager myself I believe this is massively important. If you can show a person that they only sold x many cars and give them ways to improve the number and encourage them to do so, then has a massive effect. If you attack them personally then they wont work hard for you. Very very good interview, IMHO.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:25
Quote:
twsaint
He talks about second involvements.We're not good at them. Glaringly obvious really but not a term you hear mentioned. Get back in the game after a tackle , after a pass , after a breakdown. Increase the number of players actively involved in the game.

I got the feeling that this was the reason why Luther was exited by Eddie Jones. He just wasn't getting back into the game.

MESSAGES->author
GazzaTheDonkey (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:38
He said something positive about DW - does that mean he doesn't know what he is talking about???

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:39

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 17:21 by Robby Richmond.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:44
This was imo a good interview. The pertinent questions were asked and positive answers were forthcoming. Of course the responses had to be made with the caution of a live interviewee but I feel there wasn't a lot unsaid and some hints of his influence increasing as time passes.I will be amazed and disappointed if we do not see a positive reaction on Saturday.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:53
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
nottsaint

That's alright then

He said a lot more than that. For instance he said that Saturday was unacceptable. He said there had been some straight talking. He's identified a lot of problems. Dorian has been positive, but it's obvious that Gaffney knows what's being said.We'll all in it together. He believes it can be turned round quickly.

Don't go looking for the cheap bit of criticism. The guy looks very much like what we need. Back him.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:53
Sorry. Pressed the button twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 17:06 by twsaint.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:03
Fully agree with TWS. In addition, he said he was a skills-oriented coach - music to my ears! He also mentioned that the team will still be picked by the coaches in the short-term.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:13
Does this mean we can have a couple of weeks off from calling for peoples heads while he settles in a deals with the issues he has spotted.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:19
I particularly enjoyed the last 2 minutes where he commends the supporters. That acknowledgment has been missing over the last few years....

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:23
It means I hope he is assessing everything. Dowse has already made an impression. We have to trust the guy is going to give the board an in depth report on the whole club. I think he deserves the rest of the season without being slagged off

HungryLikeTheWolf
02 January, 2018 17:25
Iím not sure anyone on this board has anything but a positive view of Alan Gaffney? That interview is better than any interview with Jim IMHO.

We will be fine.

MESSAGES->author
HRsaints fan (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:37
Quote:
Garracc
It means I hope he is assessing everything. Dowse has already made an impression. We have to trust the guy is going to give the board an in depth report on the whole club. I think he deserves the rest of the season without being slagged off

+1 thumbs down

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:38
We will. Good ballsey call from Dickens too, the guy is clearly a sponge and this is going to help him be better too. Hopefully he can move his post match interview technique on too from the last 10 years style(Sm14)

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:40
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Iím not sure anyone on this board has anything but a positive view of Alan Gaffney? That interview is better than any interview with Jim IMHO.

We will be fine.

Was just thinking what a breath of fresh air that interview was in comparisson to what we've listened to the past few years.

From that interview I feel so positive we are in safe hands. COYS!!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 18:06
We could do with a big crowd against Glaws

Shire
Shire (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 18:08
Very refreshing interview.Obviously of the school of thought that has it that : "those who don't make mistakes don't make anything."
Other take for me was he obviously rates Dowson.
Feeling more optimistic.Like the straight talking.

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 18:17
Liked that ta Robby! He used three of my favourite and relevant words 1 the U word = Saturday was unacceptable yep! 2 the S word = Skills (at feckin last) and finally the C word = Confidence. Get those three and his comment re getting back in the game i.e. work ethic we will hopefully see a turnaround slowly gently but steadily. COYS!

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 19:10
So much sense. Hope he has success and soon. We have noticed for over 2 years that particularly at home Saints often start brightly but if they fail to score and build they seem to lose confidence and go off script. In the early part of this season we played good rugby, players were handling more, all were involved. Suddenly that expansiveness disappeared and the rot set in. Will we ever know why. A new experienced supportive and analytical voice will surely help. We have good players!

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 19:20
I like the sound of that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 19:29 by Angus67.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 19:22
He also said playing with confidence means trying things but knowing you will not be castigated if they go wrong. We need to accept that and stay off the players backs!

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 19:33
Quote:
twsaint
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
nottsaint

That's alright then

He said a lot more than that. For instance he said that Saturday was unacceptable. He said there had been some straight talking. He's identified a lot of problems. Dorian has been positive, but it's obvious that Gaffney knows what's being said.We'll all in it together. He believes it can be turned round quickly.

Don't go looking for the cheap bit of criticism. The guy looks very much like what we need. Back him.

Please note the asterisks TWS - I even put two in for the sub 20-20 vision group.

He made a refreshing change to the dross dished out recently - including AD after the Twickenham debacle.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 19:35
Good interview. But it needs to translate on to the pitch.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:04
Quote:
St.Sinner
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

We will be fine.

Was just thinking what a breath of fresh air that interview was in comparisson to what we've listened to the past few years.

No itís just different, if you listen to the same person being interviewed most weeks for 10years itís going to be difficult to sound fresh. If we listened to Alan Gaffney for 10 years Iíd suggest he too would become a bit dull and heard it all before.

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:04
A straightforward honest interview. As others have said it's good to hear an acknowledgement that the last performance was unnaceptable. We have the players - let's start seeing some team performances.
Welcome Gaffer and Best Wishes!

HungryLikeTheWolf
02 January, 2018 20:07
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
St.Sinner
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

We will be fine.

No itís just different, if you listen to the same person being interviewed most weeks for 10years itís going to be difficult to sound fresh. If we listened to Alan Gaffney for 10 years Iíd suggest he too would become a bit dull and heard it all before.

No, jim was always hopeless with the press. And no-one at the club gave the kind of respect to the fans that Alan has in one interview - naturally and without being prompted.

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:42
I enjoyed the quotes below:

"The players need a lot of straight talking and hard talking"
"We've got to work a lot, lot harder than what we are at the present time"
"We've got to work on the skills"
"we've got to make sure that skill level is a lot, lot better than what it is and the accuracy we display"
"we're doing things that are [...] creating a problem"

In an understated, polite way, he's basically said that players need to buck their ideas up and do the basics far better. In all the interviews with JM that I can remember he rarely, if ever pointed out a technical deficiency in our play. Gaffney has come in and identified several straight off the bat. Very promising, I hope it filters through.

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 20:49
Quote:
twsaint

I agree but I would also say that second involvement is key to the game - even at U15 level we coach the players to be thinking about their next task after completing a tackle, a pass etc. For top level players not to be doing this is unacceptable.

A refreshing interview, it is going to be interesting seeing the changes come through.

Ow3n
Ow3n (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:58
What a breath of fresh air that interview was. Complete sense spoken.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 22:12
how very refreshing - daring to feel positive - lets all get behind him and the team - something we can show on Saturday.

HungryLikeTheWolf
02 January, 2018 22:27
Old Pete Hear! Hear!

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 22:38
Professional, sensible and at last someone who realises how we feel. He has my support unconditional.
Exactly Old Pete

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 01:16
Sorry, lack of confidence is an excuse for poor play.

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 January, 2018 02:27
Yes it is, Iíve had it in all sports Iíve played. Lose confidence in pitching wedge. start shanking everything. Lose confidence in football, canít hit a barn door. Lose confidence rugby and regularly pass to nobody etc...

Iíd actually suggest itís one of the most important facets of sport.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 07:09
Basics, basics, basics.

The Gaf said that some little things are easily forgotten but massively important (paraphrasing.)

I think that some of the best coaches in the world forget this, I think that is what happened to us.

You have a squad of pro's and expect them to do the basics and you tell them to start doing it rather than coaching it. Ive heard it a lot on this board and massively disagree with it, "they are pros and should not need coaching these simple things" or "I WAS coached this at 15, why does it need to be coached"

The All Blacks base their game around basics, high level basics are the foundation that lets them do the other stuff. They never stop polishing the basics, polish a big enough turd for long enough and it can become a diamond.

Look at Exeter, you can see that the pick an drive basics have been drilled and drilled, as has tackling technique and basic handling skills. I would wager they have great body position in Scrums and Mauls not just because they know what a good body position is, but because they practice it a LOT and it has become second nature, but that natures technique is constantly polished. Being the best is hard work.

MESSAGES->author
GazzaTheDonkey (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:00
SaintsAsh
Couldn't agree more, drill the basics so will be done subconsciously, leaves the 10% conscious to 'think' what to do and not how to do.

Reading this thread I see many who were damming the whole squad and coaches now suddenly saying the Messiah has arrived so all will be well - I really do hope so and he's not just a naughty boy....

COYS

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:49
It's when the talking stops.
There is a problem in the club and changing nothing means nothing changes.
Gardening leave is needed not talk.

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 January, 2018 10:57
Quote:
GazzaTheDonkey
SaintsAsh
Couldn't agree more, drill the basics so will be done subconsciously, leaves the 10% conscious to 'think' what to do and not how to do.

Reading this thread I see many who were damming the whole squad and coaches now suddenly saying the Messiah has arrived so all will be well - I really do hope so and he's not just a naughty boy....

COYS

Just look at Gloucester, it only takes 1 top head coach who is s leader of men and can inspire players to change it all around in a short space of time. We have many good players, enough to be top 4 without a doubt. We have a much better squad than gloucester, for example.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:51
he seems to be all about being direct & specific, but likewise building people up - that's excellent.
and no insignificant message for the fans, keep the belief.

oldtoastersaint
oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:56
Methinks this 'new' broom is very similar to the 'old' broom, except that he's older!

Maybe 'Gaffer' is the top sports psychologist I was calling for to assist Jim at the time I was totally misinformed about the Board's exact role in his departure.(It was they whom apparently wanted to bring in some assistance and Jim who declined). My question to them is, did they suggest an assistant to deal exclusively with non play-related matters? If they didn't that would have been a grave psychological error in my book, Jim was well worth hanging on to, as he will no doubt prove elsewhere.

At any rate Gaffney seems to have pacified the most lupine of critics on here, whilst at the same time praising their chief 'bete noir' Dorian even more fulsomely than Jim ever did! Remarkable!

No doubt I misunderstood their pitch and they were just howling at the moon all along! Owhooooooooh... owhoooooooh... owhoooooooh!!!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (Hamlet)

"Things can change" Jessie Burton...The Miniaturist

Happy 'stress free' New Year to all. OTS

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:11
A change is as good as a rest .... they say

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 January, 2018 18:54
Quote:
oldtoastersaint
Methinks this 'new' broom is very similar to the 'old' broom, except that he's older!
Maybe 'Gaffer' is the top sports psychologist I was calling for to assist Jim at the time I was totally misinformed about the Board's exact role in his departure.(It was they whom apparently wanted to bring in some assistance and Jim who declined). My question to them is, did they suggest an assistant to deal exclusively with non play-related matters? If they didn't that would have been a grave psychological error in my book, Jim was well worth hanging on to, as he will no doubt prove elsewhere.

At any rate Gaffney seems to have pacified the most lupine of critics on here, whilst at the same time praising their chief 'bete noir' Dorian even more fulsomely than Jim ever did! Remarkable!

No doubt I misunderstood their pitch and they were just howling at the moon all along! Owhooooooooh... owhoooooooh... owhoooooooh!!!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (Hamlet)

"Things can change" Jessie Burton...The Miniaturist

Happy 'stress free' New Year to all. OTS

Luckily I know what lupine means so I will tackle it head on:-

1. Dorian's training methods had not changed and communication between both Jim & Dorian and the players was poor. The players as a group became disillusioned and results steadily showed this decline.

2. Jim was let go, maybe as you suggest after being so loyal as to not replace his assistant.

3. Gaffney has come in to save this season, and see how it goes from there.

4. The board have clearly told Gaffney that he has these coaches until the end of the season.

So where are where we are. The dynamic between Alan and Dorian will be different to Jim and Dorian. They were best buddies, that is a tricky relationship in business especially when one of you is not performing.

Alan 'could' possibly get Dorian back to being a top forwards coach, maybe it was that previous dynamic which led to Ben Foden's criticism of coaches also being lazy? There is a picture being painted here.

Alan Gaffney is not the same as Jim... that is nonsense. He is far more experienced and at a far higher level of coaching and management. You just have to listen to his first interview to understand we are dealing with a completely different beast here both with regards playing and psychology (that is not to say Jim will not eventually reach that level).

To that end Alan therefore has my full support to improve the players AND the coaches. If this all works out, we plough on together. If Alan wants to stay and our forwards are cooking by the end of the season, who is to say Dorian won't stay and be a successful forwards coach again? Maybe his relationship with the players will improve too.

As a quick reminder, if we followed your (and others) laissez-faire approach, Alan would not be here.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 19:27
As a quick reminder, posts on here, be they laissez-faire or bombastic, have naff all result on what goes on at the club. Please don't try to claim responsibility for something that you had no serious influence upon.

HungryLikeTheWolf
03 January, 2018 19:38
who has said that? to quote my comment on another thread ďIím not arrogant to assume players read these comments or give a monkeys, I am sure they donít..... itís a very niche message board...Ē

Etc etc

That doesnít mean we canít knock about our views and I love reading contrary opinions. Sometimes they have make me consider an angle I hadnít considered before and adjust my view.... whatís the point of the message board otherwise?

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:00
I think we need to see what the Gaffer actually achieves first. As if yet it is nothing with regards to results on the pitch or even an improved performance. I hope and believe that he will but as of yet.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net