rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Nath-coys
What can we expect?
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:36
So Gaffneys first game at Saints isn't all too far away and a tough game against Gloucester is what he is greeted with.

So what can we expect?

Well from the players themselves I hope too see some desire and fight, fingers crossed the straight talking sessions Gaffney has eluded too will have finaly hit a nerve with these players.
I want too see some attitude from all the players but especially in the Forwards. Franklins Garden is there patch, there turf, where they get the privilege of wearing the Badge in front of one of the best sets of Supporters in the land.
Nobody should turn up and push them about, dominate the collisions like has been going on over the last few months.
If that takes 15 minutes of the forwards being involved in a pushing and shoving match and exchanging pleasantries with there counterparts then soo be it.
But the foundations of fortress FG need relaying and up front is where it starts.

As for Game plan, tactics and so on....

Well personally just IMO I think the attack needs stripping back too basics.
Let's crawl before we walk, and walk before we run.
Hard running off 9 and 10 instead of static easy targets.
Desire too get back in too attack and work round the corner, making the defence constantly work.
Let's play too start with a style of rugby we can keep hold of the ball for 10 phases, instead of the 3 or 4 we only seem capable of at the moment.
We need to nail basics such as running lines, support lines, little changes to the point of contact.
Let's get over the gainline and build momentum.
Then we will start stressing defences, and either creating gaps too exploit or causing the defence in too causing a penalty.
If the attack becomes static and looses momentum you kick. But you kick the ball off the pitch and reset the defence or you kick to compete and chase like your life depended on it.
But all of this needs doing with more controlled aggression, dynamism and purpose than we have seen for many months from this team.

Somebody else can go in to the defence..... But just line speed, and hitting somebody backwards would do for me to start off with! Hahaha

I'm optimistic it can be turned around with some clever coaching and the players buying in too whatever is being said.

COYS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 11:16 by Nath-coys.

tboullem
Re: What can we expect?
Mobbs (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:52
Stop going sideways......
Compete at the breakdown....
Get nasty....
Look as though you mean it.....

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:21
I guess, based on the interview, it boils down to "compete, compete, compete"..

make a tackle, get up compete for the ball, or get up and compete to make the next one.

See your mate make break, complete to catch up and be available..

See a ruck - compete for the ball

Drive yourselves and each other on and on..

The first person seen walking back from a tackle should get a team mate in the face..

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:32
Back to basics for me. Body angles lower when taking into contact, body angles and aggression at the breakdown, mind set in defence, first up tackles. Let's have a bit if pride in the shirt and a bit of self respect not to be embarrassed by your opposite number for 80mins.

Agree with nath that we have to strip things right back in attack. We haven't got the confidence or work rate yet for any complicated backs moves. Let's just concentrate on catching the ball.

Things are that bad

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:36
Lets just tackle for 80 mins and see if we can accidentally win by 3 points.

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:37
As has been said above - it is the simple things:
Work rate
Attitude
Defensive organisation and line speed.
Fire and Ice calls so there is competition at the breakdown.
Make the opposition work hard, keep them below 20 points.

Once a scrum half .... always a scrum half

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:14
A positive performance is the best that we can hope for and abandonment of the last 3 years game plan which has been lamentable of late. Once the players remember how good they really are we will be fine.

First Casual Tea
First Casual Tea (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:34
This is a bit more from the press conference AG did yesterday at Franklin's Gardens https://goo.gl/9Dwhed

Obviously Dylan and Dorian were discussed, as has been reflected on these boards but interestingly Harry Mallinder wasn't - even though a lot of his comments about not being afraid to make mistakes and having the courage to take bold positive decisions on the field.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:27
I am expecting a bus replacement rail service to Manchester and I am expecting that the "Gloucester Old Spots",might win the battle of the airways.(Sm128)

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:35
Wouldn't be surprised if Myler starts

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:07
Well we ain't got George. Out for 4 weeks apparently.

Covbryan
Covbryan (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:58
Purely and simply,BACK TO BASICS.
All the time every time.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 08:09
Quote:
tedge
Wouldn't be surprised if Myler starts

sitting in the stands (rather high up, I might add) last weekend, Myler appeared to give us some immediate leadership - just more 'definite' in what he did, and at least a sense of control.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:01
Well it won't be Francis, given his concussion.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 16:10
Quote:
shendy
Well it won't be Francis, given his concussion.

Indeed although on past form they might also consider Mallinder or Grayson hence my tip that it will be Myler

fatrucker
fatrucker (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 17:11
Francis has got flu. Fodes has got toncilitis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net