rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

tedge
North out again
tedge (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:46
2 to 3 weeks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2018 16:08 by tedge.

BletchleySaint
Re: North out aagin
Saint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:55
He adds little anyway - let players who care about the Saints have a crack.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:14
and will return just in time to join wales for the 6N, only to get crocked in the last minute of the final game, thus ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

you couldnt make it up.

dont know why we dont just agree an immediate free transfer to whichever welsh region wants him and ship in a short term cover player, as he is a waste of the cap as far as i can see.

Joe Davison
03 January, 2018 16:32
Stay classy, guys.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:32
I thought he added a lot when he game on at Quinnís
Got involved
Made ground
Put us on the front foot
Then got injured but still tried to play through it
Should we be in a relegation battle
I would want him in the team

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:36
Well said TF & DS

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:36
if GN plays more than 3 more games for us then i will be amazed!!

Stevie Myler's right boot
03 January, 2018 16:43
If used properly he is a fantastic attacking weapon however we don't use him properly and feed sh1te down the line to him and then expect him to see off 3 defenders in the 5 metre channel
Will be sorry to see him leave however we have not got the best out of him which is disappointing

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:53
Ok- am having a gripey day!
He is a 60+ cap international winger. Has he not yet worked out how to get himself into the game?

He plays the same way for us as he does for wales and is rarely an attacking threat for either team.

Compare him to other top wingers - itís like watching chalk and cheese and itís all down to how hungry they are.

George is operating well below his ability and has done for some time, so unfortunately I donít see what many of you do, other than a hugely expensive, fragile white elephant.

Expecting the barrage, but itís what I see both as a saints fan and a wales fan.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:00
Quote:
TringSaint
Ok- am having a gripey day!
He is a 60+ cap international winger. Has he not yet worked out how to get himself into the game?

He plays the same way for us as he does for wales and is rarely an attacking threat for either team.

Compare him to other top wingers - itís like watching chalk and cheese and itís all down to how hungry they are.

George is operating well below his ability and has done for some time, so unfortunately I donít see what many of you do, other than a hugely expensive, fragile white elephant.

Expecting the barrage, but itís what I see both as a saints fan and a wales fan.

I think we are all frustrated and just want to see saints back to winning ways
Good to see some passion

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:00
He can't help being injured

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:06
All I can say is we have defenitley not got our money's worth from North. I reckon he will put in a few cameo appearances at the end of the season & that's all we see of him before he's off.

If I was Gatland I wouldn't even be looking at him for the 6 nations. That Josh Adams who plays for Worcester looks worth a punt.

I know North hasn't had the ball put on a plate for him but in his time here he has played with many quality team mates & he's never shone in comparisson. Reputation only carries you so far until you need to show the reason why your 'world class'.

I know many on here wouldn't hear a negative word said but I think he isn't value for money and we can use the money better. He will enjoy his time being rested every other week to stay fit for Wales at whichever club he ends up at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 17:06 by St.Sinner.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:08
I have said it before and I will say it again...North is an International player who occasionally plays club rugby in order to get fit for his next cap. I know he has come off worse more than once playing for Saints but as a high profile signing he has been a huge disappointment. As Tring rightly points out, he is hugely experienced and should know how to get into a game even if the tactics used by the coaches are not too his liking, what are they going to do, drop him for disobeying orders ?

I know this sounds harsh on the lad and I sincerely wish him well for the future in Cardiff, or so I am led to believe. George is a very decent bloke and at least he leaves us with some medals in his pocket and hopefully some good memories. A couple of tries in the last game of the season would be a great send-off for all concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 17:57 by Mobbs.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:31
Well said TF & DS thumbs down issues? coaching? trust? lack of? re-arrange as you will or according to your prejudice

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:26
JUst a poor mans Sean Lamont*

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:28
Sadly for Saints he has not represented good value for, presumably, quite a wedge of cap. Not his fault he has had some nasty injuries, of course, but we will want to redeploy a good chunk of his wages elsewhere (front row, no 8) I should think.

I do hope to see GN in the jersey again before he departs, but won't hold my breath.

I wonder how we compare to other clubs in terms of securing short term cover - I see Saracens have brought in Stirzaker for a short spell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 18:30 by ElySaint.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:41
Some of the comments above are quite shameful and disrespectful of the player. I like George he is our best winger and our team is improved with him in it. Whether we have got the best out of George or vice versa I think is debatable but blame should not be put solely at his door for that.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:41
Some low rent comments on here IMHO. The guy always plays hard for us, is a really top bloke too. He was unlucky with concussions and has then been given dreadful service.

Would I have signed him? Thats another question and not his problem. I absolutely would not wish him anything else than good luck in whatever he does. He doesn't owe us anything.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:45
Been a fantastic player for us. In full flow and in his first couple of seasons he was breathtaking to watch. Worth the entrance fee on his own. With those memories in mind, personally I'll miss him. In the last couple of seasons he's been a snapshot of Saints as a club........crumbling. It's not his fault he's injured but he's now injury prone and we see little of him or from him. In my opinion he now, not then, now, represents very poor value for money. I wonder how much he has cost the club per game played, especially since the Nathan `Hughes concussion injury? Correct thing for both sides, George and Saints, that he is to leave us. I can't see him playing much at all now for us sadly. Personally I'd see some value in releasing him early if legal and if it was practical for player and club.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:59
FWIW, I have no personal beef with George, but I donít currently rate him as a player.
Whatever the reason, we get a cameo rather than the full performance and that is a shame.
Maybe being back in wales will do him good, but I suspect that he is more conscious than ever about injury and on that basis if you were a club would you offer a contract if you were picking up the entire (and substantial) wage bill.
Fortunately the WRU will be picking up a large chunk so for the club the financial risk is mitigated.

We, On the other hand have paid a large amount, inc a 60k fine which would have covered a couple of academy guys for a year, and our return is poor when compared with our other wingers.

As for George being a great bloke, nice chap, friendly to the elderly and likes cats, etc, I donít care. He is first and foremost a rugby player and I am making my comments on the basis of what he does (or doesnít do) on the pitch.

On that basis I wish him all the best in the rabo-magners-Celtic-pro12 league thing.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 20:28
None of us know exactly what instructions George has been given, I suspect he may have been told to stay wide continually to make the most of Mylers kicking for position.
He came here as one of the best wingers in the world and we have not improved him, he has been feeding off scraps and has not really formed a close playing relationship with any of our full backs or wingers. Compare that to a brief but great period when we had Ben Foden, Ashton and Bruce as a back three. They were always a threat, almost regardless of the forwards performance.
I would have liked to see him having a go at centre just to offer a threat and to get his hands on the ball more. I question the sense in spending vast amounts on a winger as a marquee signing, particularly when we had and still have glaring weaknesses in the heart of the squad.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 20:36
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Some low rent comments on here IMHO. The guy always plays hard for us, is a really top bloke too. He was unlucky with concussions and has then been given dreadful service.
Would I have signed him? Thats another question and not his problem. I absolutely would not wish him anything else than good luck in whatever he does. He doesn't owe us anything.

Spot on HLTW

The audible gasp of anticipation when he gets the ball in space, not many have that effect. Has scored some wonderful tries and been instrumental in many others. Jamie Elliottís try at Glos for one.

We have blamed the coach then the forwards, fly half last week and now the winger. Kev the kitman next week i suppose

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 20:37 by Walks11.

Saints065
Saints065 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 20:49
Quote:
BletchleySaint
He adds little anyway - let players who care about the Saints have a crack.

Spot on. Heís checked out guys and isnít interested in our basement battle.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 21:11
some of the comments in this thread are simply spiteful

WE are in a bad place as a club and it is all to easy to lash out in frustration anger etc.

Some perspective is called for it not the fault George North or Dylan or Harry Malinder that are the not problems and its all too easy to focus on their alleged failings and circumstances.

The problem is far deeper complex and fundamental than the performance or career choices of any one individual player.

Awaywin
Awaywin (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 21:18
More importantly ... any injury update on our form winger Tuala?

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 21:54
George be like...
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/cmon.gif

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 22:31
So are people saying that the poor on pitch performances have nothing to do with the players and that they are beyond criticism? I thought it was the 23 guys in the match day squad that determine the outcome of the game. How silly of me not to realise that itís all down to the coaches, board and Kev the kitman, unless we win by a cricket score, when itís absolutely down to the players and no one else.*

Sorry, but the performance on the pitch IS down to the players on the day. The prep and development IS down to the coaching staff. Both are responsible for ensuring success so to disassociate one from the other is naive.

George, Dylan as well as the other players who are performing under par need to hold their hands up and take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves if they really are putting in 100%.

A bit of humility and reality will do wonders.

My comments do not constitute a witch hunt, more a series of observations which are made without the aid of rose tinted glasses!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 00:54
Gatland, in his book mentions how JD2 took a while to get back into the form he lost by joining Clermont, obviously, his improvement was such that the Lions players voted him man of the series. Afraid, as with JD2 North made a big mistake joining N'ton. Their style of play has meant he's lost that try scoring instinct he had at Scarlets. Poor signing by Mallinder as the mid-field needed improvement so he spends lots on a winger.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 08:19
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

+2 in complete agreement with this.

I recall the initial disbelief, followed by complete delight, that this forum showed when that signing was announced - for all the opprobrium the coaches have had over signings / non signings, bringing the trio of Kahn, Alex and George in made a difference in belief to a 'nearly' squad & club, and shouldn't be overlooked.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:51
Quote:
TringSaint
So are people saying that the poor on pitch performances have nothing to do with the players and that they are beyond criticism? I thought it was the 23 guys in the match day squad that determine the outcome of the game. How silly of me not to realise that itís all down to the coaches, board and Kev the kitman, unless we win by a cricket score, when itís absolutely down to the players and no one else.*
Sorry, but the performance on the pitch IS down to the players on the day. The prep and development IS down to the coaching staff. Both are responsible for ensuring success so to disassociate one from the other is naive.

George, Dylan as well as the other players who are performing under par need to hold their hands up and take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves if they really are putting in 100%.

A bit of humility and reality will do wonders.

My comments do not constitute a witch hunt, more a series of observations which are made without the aid of rose tinted glasses!

To contra your argument, look at how Exeter play.Particularly the interaction between Steenson and Nowell
The pull back pass to Nowell coming at speed in behind the centres. He makes ground regularly. This also happens with the other winger Woodburn. Could you imagine the havoc that would be caused in the defensive line if that was Gearge doing the same thing. He would make ground time after time and if there was a Collins/Mallinder on his shoulder ready for a pop pass, but we dont do it.

Do you think that the Exeter boys make this play up during the game or that they practice it under a coach day in day out so they could almost do it blindfold ?

Blaming George for the lack of coaching and gameplan is not the answer.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 15:35
Yup, would love to see George doing that. So why doesnít he??
Answers on a postcard to ..........

ch saint
Re: North out again
ch saint (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 21:39
Thats the key question.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net