rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

twsaint
Clermont back line.
twsaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:34
It looked more than possible earlier in the week that Clermont might not have 7 fit backs for Saturday.

But surprise, surprise Toeava has escaped from a disciplinary hearing with no punishment . Parra would otherwise have been forced to play 10 with a rookie scrum half in Trussardi. Lamarat is fit again.
I'd expect
Spedding
Abendanon
Betham
Lamarat
Grosso
Toeava
Parra

They'll be pretty short on the bench but it's a pretty handy back line when they are missing Laidlaw, Cassang, Lopez, McAllister, Fernandez,Raka, Nakaitiaci,Fofana,Strettle,Rougerie,Penaud .

Could have problems are hooker with 2 out and potentially a third. A few other big units are away but Chaume and Slimani will be propping. It will be best to avoid dropping the ball and giving them a scrum.

Clermont are in a real mess in the league. They rested 12 guys on Sunday and were duffed by 50 at Racing. It will be a different team on Saturday but we've got a chance.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Clermont back line.
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 10:05
Iím afraid unless we have suddenly sorted the scrum, we will have to do some pretty special things in the backs to win.

We are likely to conceded serious ground and points from just the scrum. Slimani best in the world. Our scrum weakest in England IMHO.

Sometimes with this matchup you can get lucky with minimal set pieces and it doesnít have a big impact. Just donít drop balls Saints!

MESSAGES->author
Le marseillais (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 10:21
Your analysis twsaint is perfect, I could'nt say better.
It is just "Lamťrat" and not "Lamarat"
We are in a very poor time because of too many injured.
We've never seen that before.
19 I believe are out in the pro squad !
But we are still optimistic and come to win in the Gardens because we have to.
It will be an interesting game.

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 11:11
Interestingly in the last game we got pummelled in the Scrum, nothing new there. And pretty sure it will be the same this game.

However we had large chunks of possession and at times dominated the game away from the set piece.
As has been a running theme this season (and previous)
We aren't just quite clinical enough at taking our chances.

Hopeful with Gafney looking a lot more at Skill levels and individual skills we can tidy up our error count and make a real fist of this game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 11:12 by Nath-coys.

Former Hollywood Saint
11 January, 2018 11:23
Even with a load of injuries they are still tres dangereux.

It worries me that they rested 12 players against Racing. It means they are fresh whereas we arenít.

Even though we played well last week, sadly Iím still expecting a pasting on Saturday! (I know, Iím very positive!)

FHS

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2018 11:37
I enjoy the "tres dangereux" (Sm91)
Only Parra and Abendannon were absent last game vs Racing for having rest.
The others were injured: Kayser, Betham, Stretttle etc...
So they could be back on saturday, but with no pace.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:08
Courtney needs to get "introduced" to Parra early on. After all, they're great mates, n'est-ce pas?

The Battle of The Stoop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 12:17 by Stockers.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:09
Now is a good time to play Clermont. I am still feeling positive having predicted a win vs Gloucester. If we can sort out the scrum and lineout (not expecting a masterclass just keep our own ball) and cut out some of the silly mistakes I think we can win and we will win.

Remy63
Remy63 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 12:54
Quote:
Stockers
Courtney needs to get "introduced" to Parra early on. After all, they're great mates, n'est-ce pas?
The Battle of The Stoop

This "introduction" resulted in a 6 months injury for Parra. I find it inappropriate to wish it happen again.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:01
anyone want to bet on us rotating a number of players and a media storm about "weakened side".. regardless of what other clubs put out?

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:03
Nope, all signs from the club are we are not treating this as a dead rubber and I expect we'll see more first choice players than we normally would in this situation

We have a little momentum at the minute and need this to snowball through the ECC and Anglo Welsh games so we hit the Prem runnning

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:20
Parra 9 must mean Courtney at 6 😁

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:26
Quote:
Remy63This "introduction" resulted in a 6 months injury for Parra. I find it inappropriate to wish it happen again.[/quote

I don't think anyone on here would want any player to be injured, especially with something as serious as to result in a 6 month lay off.

However, a big hit that would make Parra think twice for the rest of the game would be just the ticket!

As for playing a weakened Clermont team, i don't think we should consider that we're playing a weakened side. This could be our undoing. Lets just focus on the fact that we're playing Clermont and that a good result for us could be considered to be quite a scalp.. perfect for maintaining confidence

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2018 15:59
Do you know when your team will be up ?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:08
12 Noon on Friday

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Le marseillais
Do you know when your team will be up ?

Tomorrow 12

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2018 16:16
Thank you both.
I think there is a big uncertainly about the two teams.
What about our injured? are some of them coming back ?
Do Saints will let play there best team ?
I really don't know.
Answers tomorrow.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 17:10
Saints should play their best team without question. We need to build on a win last week. Its fifteen against fifteen and Clermont are beatable. Remember Agincourt !

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2018 17:25
We do remember Azincourt, Jeanne of Arc, Waterloo and so on...
But also Austerlitz, be carefull !

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Stockers
The Battle of The Stoop

Donít think Parra will get any awards for fighting, that was to be frank a pathetic attempt.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:21
Quote:
Remy63
Quote:
Stockers
The Battle of The Stoop

This "introduction" resulted in a 6 months injury for Parra. I find it inappropriate to wish it happen again.

Remy, I have no wish to see any player injured and out of the game. I was trying to humorously suggest that a strong and legal tackle on Parra by Courtney would be worth watching!

TerraceD-ave
TerraceD-ave (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 21:03
Always hopeful/optimistic of a Saints win.
Agree we should play our best team to build momentum, even if we don't win to hopefully build confidence with a positive performance.
Worried about 'deckchair' props in the scrum

Big shame about Clermont's injury list.
I was looking forward to seeing Raka, Fofana etc.

Coys

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 22:32
I wouldn't worry Stockers as Lawes tackle was perfectly legal

The fact that Parra was injured from a legal tackle isn't our concern

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net