rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Christoff
What a brilliant performance
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:11
That's it, simple as! Gardens sounded great tonight. Well done all 16 men.

MESSAGES->author
Re: What a brilliant performance
Matthew (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:12
Fewer than 8,300 in the ground too. If you weren't here, you missed out on a cracker.

Just where has this team been hiding all season?!

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:13
Really good saints. Enjoyed that. Not necessarily the result but the endeavour shown and playing for each other. Great to see.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:17
Onwards and upwards

Christoff
13 January, 2018 19:17
We won the 2nd half by the way, 24-6

TonyTaff
TonyTaff (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:18
Thank you Saints.

Gaffney is a savvy bloke!

Now for Sarries in the Land of my Fathers!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

NorfolkFalcon
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:20
You guys were bloody brilliant. Where has that been all season!?

Fair play, let's hope you guys can push on now (apart from at St James Park).

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:22
Where was the crowd?

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 January, 2018 19:25
Quote:
shendy
Where was the crowd?

dead rubber, £30 per head to sit together...

Christoff
13 January, 2018 19:25
Not sure of the attendance but the home support sounded loud on TV.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 January, 2018 19:26
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

confusing your sports there Geordie lad?

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:27
I think 8,235 was announced. Don't forget that includes season-ticket holders who may not have attended. They missed out on a cracker.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:28
We're playing Newcastle there Wolfie. Do keep up ;-)

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:31
A great game thoroughly enjoyed that at the gardens. A full dedicated 80 minutes performance from all of the side, well done lads

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:34
Now, who was it on here that was slagging off Foden and his family life?
Homme du Match, I believe?

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:46
Quote:
shendy

+1

Been wanting to see him back at 15 for aged

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 January, 2018 19:50
Quote:
shendy
We're playing Newcastle there Wolfie. Do keep up ;-)

My bad !

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 January, 2018 19:51
Quote:
SaintsMan87
Quote:
shendy

+1

Been wanting to see him back at 15 for aged

yeah someone did and I defended him, heís a great bloke and very committed to Saints. Top man needs to play 15.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:55
3 English wins so far this weekend - although with Quins v Wasps we were guaranteed at least one...

Christoff
13 January, 2018 19:56
I was worried about Harry's kicking off the tee but he got better and better as the match wore on. He was knocking them all over in the end. If he'd have got the rest of them we'd have won by a clear 20 points.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:05
A lot of season ticket holders absent without leave.....disappointing

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:13
Crowd in great voice. Not sure 8k does include non-attending STHs? If it does they must have sold very few tickets.

Excellent team performance. Thought Api had a very solid match - given some game time he's really coming into his own on the ball. Sucks in defenders like a sponge and nearly always makes a yard or two in contact.

Kudos to Mallinder for keeping his head after a couple of unlucky goal kicks and one from hand out on the full, steadied himself and came back on form.

Lineout was much better tonight and the scrum was largely competitive against a decent front row who were pushing the rules as well as the opposition

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:16
Excellent performance tonight. Thought our play with ball in hand was much improved, there was real fizz to the way we handled the ball. Really liked the Stevo and Horne centre partnership, hard tackling, physical and good hands. Lots of good individual performances, great to see the improved confidence in the side.

There may only have been 8300 in the ground tonight, but the place was rocking. Great atmosphere and fantastic to have a performance to really shout about.

Christoff
13 January, 2018 20:19
Andy Goode was pundit on Sky. At the beginning I was dreading it as he's never complimentary to Saints however tonight he was. To give him his due he said lots of encouraging things.

Bernie's Dad
Bernie's Dad (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:34
Great to be at the Gardens for a performance brimming with guts and pride. After a shakey start we grew in confidence (and possession!) and by the end we looked like a team that was enjoying playing for each other, and with control too, against formidable opposition. Excellent to see!

For anyone sitting at home and wondering whether to put down the TV remote and get back to the Gardens, donít think twice... this rebuilding fortress is an exciting place to be!

CíMON YOU SAINTS!

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:38
What chance of Parra being cited if he did punch T? Not seen any footage but mentioned on another SN forum.

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:13
That was only my second trip to the Gardens this year and what a night it was!! The place was absolutely buzzing.

Well done to everyone in the crowd for making such a massive amount of noise despite the relatively low turn out. I'm still smiling now.

As for the team, that's the best I've seen them play in months and months. I was hugely impressed with Api and I also think Rob Horne deserves a mention as he was my man of the match...mostly due to his immense tackling!

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:36
Best performance in a long, long time. Confidence built throughout the game and the second half was brilliant. See what happens when Fodes backs himself and doesnít kick it away. Thought Api had a great game and busted the gain line with some confidence. COYS

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:37
A fantastic evening at the Gardens, not felt that sort of buzz for a long time. The team grew and grew in confidence through out the game, heart, pride and passion in bucket loads. Great to see Foden rolling back the years, lets hope its the start of a long run of form.

Once a scrum half .... always a scrum half

Sadsaint
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:06
Thought we were up against it at half time, but it was all Saints after the interval. They all played so well but I was delighted with Ben Foden's try, a brilliant effort like the Ben of 6/7 years ago. But for the injuries which disrupted his career Mike Brown would have far fewer caps.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 January, 2018 23:09
Quote:
shendy
What chance of Parra being cited if he did punch T? Not seen any footage but mentioned on another SN forum.

agreed heís such a pelutant so-and-so

if you watch the replay, after that try he hits Teimana in the family jewels, blatantly as well

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:44
I'm not a great fan of George Clancy - he's had a few stinkers at FG and watching in the stadium I wasn't too impressed with him but when I re-watched the game on tv and could hear what he was saying I actually thought that apart from the blatant missed forward passes he had quite a reasonable game. Whether I would feel the same if we had lost I'm not so sure !

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 02:42
Quote:
Mobbs

Questioning the attitude and method of support is a repeated and even more disappointing behaviour on this forum. Give it a rest.

I happen to live in the USA right now, but I'm a season ticket holder. I haven't been able to attend for nearly 2 years. I have been a season ticket holder for 14 years. Firstly, I don't want to give up my specific seat because I'm friends with my seat neighbours, and secondly, I'm happy to financially support the Saints in this way. I watch every game possible online through an extremely expensive means.

My father sits next to me, and is a very ill man. He makes 3-5 games a season and it's a tough one for him. He's had his seat for over 50 years, pre Churchers stand build. He doesn't want to lose his place too, and he's happy about the cost.

There are lots of us, and you shouldn't question our commitment. I watched with pride today from sunny California.

HungryLikeTheWolf
14 January, 2018 06:38
Quote:
shiversaint
Quote:
Mobbs

Questioning the attitude and method of support is a repeated and even more disappointing behaviour on this forum. Give it a rest.

I happen to live in the USA right now, but I'm a season ticket holder. I haven't been able to attend for nearly 2 years. I have been a season ticket holder for 14 years. Firstly, I don't want to give up my specific seat because I'm friends with my seat neighbours, and secondly, I'm happy to financially support the Saints in this way. I watch every game possible online through an extremely expensive means.

My father sits next to me, and is a very ill man. He makes 3-5 games a season and it's a tough one for him. He's had his seat for over 50 years, pre Churchers stand build. He doesn't want to lose his place too, and he's happy about the cost.

There are lots of us, and you shouldn't question our commitment. I watched with pride today from sunny California.

+1

I live in south London, 5 hour round trip. Have had a season ticket or Ďseatí for 30 years. I go when I can, our man Les Marseillaises used my ticket yesterday, doesnít mean Iím not emotionally committed.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:27
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Quote:
shiversaint
Quote:
Mobbs

+1

I live in south London, 5 hour round trip. Have had a season ticket or Ďseatí for 30 years. I go when I can, our man Les Marseillaises used my ticket yesterday, doesnít mean Iím not emotionally committed.

+2 my wife and I have also held season tickets for a number of years and due to various factors cannot attend every game. I will try and make sure they are used when we can't make it - been the first experience of live pro rugby for many friends and family members over the years. Yesterday I sat with my dad who hasn't been to the Gardens for a few years and he enjoyed it so much he is considering an ST himself next season. Besides which we had a great day out together, in spite of the 5 hour drive round trip it is time spent in the best possible manner. For me that is the real value of our STs.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:15
We live 10 minutes drive away and have been STH's for 30 years but we do miss the odd game for holidays, or illness or even occasional apathy this season. Clearly the attendances for the Ospreys match and this one were well down on what has been the norm at FG but people shouldn't be blamed for not going. I am sure that if performances like this and league results start to pick up the crowds will be back. The other big factor is tv = few games are not watchable on one channel or another.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:17
No, sorry,no retraction from me on this one, it was a disappointing attendance figure. All of us have reasons from time to time to miss games, of course we do, my son for example finds friday night fixtures very difficult. The lady STH who sits next to me has shattered her knee cap so we look forward to her return. My comment was not a dig at individuals, it was based on an attendance figure that is about 55% of capacity - we got bigger gates when we were in the second tier. Sure, the run from October to New Year was more than unsatisfactory, but yesterday we were hosting the French Champions and last seasons Cup runners up. We have a new coach, there is a little more hope in the air and last week we got a much needed win against Glaws. Those who were there yesterday got a cracking atmosphere going in the second half, what would fifteen thousand have sounded like ?

nb Personally I thought the quoted figure of 8,300 looked a little low !!!

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:22
Has to mentioned that the ASM supporters absolutely played their part in generating atmosphere. A real credit to their club.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:25
Mobbs I agree about the quoted attendance - I thought there were about 9/10K in the ground. I think 2 wins, the second being in a dead rubber as far as Saints were concerned, coupled with the awful ko time and the time of the year and the tv coverage, is not going to be enough to bring back the "walk up" customers who normally make up two thirds of attendances. Many of those will be looking for a longer term trend before becoming regulars again. Saints have only themselves to blame for the dross which has been served up for 2/3 years and persuading people to part with their cash and resume a habit is never easy. The real litmus test will come at the end of this season when people see how the Saints have/have not progressed under Gaffney, who the next DoR is and the standard of recruitment for next season. The take up of season tickets will be a reliable guide to how the rugby public will be viewing Saints' prospects

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:35
Mobbs I would also add that the noise in the ground was consistent with the place being full but it was just over half.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:12
Totally agree Mobbs : blimey people get sensitive these days over somthing that wasn't even said !!!
You clearly stated that the attendance was disappointing and did not "blame" anyone. I Agree with you it was a very disappointing sight.
p.s I have missed 5 games this season due to pre booked holidays , illness etc so of course some can't it.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:41
Quote:
blimey people get sensitive these days over something that wasn't even said !!

Agreed.

Christoff
14 January, 2018 12:11
From viewing on the TV and listening to you guys it looked more than 8.3k. The atmosphere from the TV seemed good. That new stand nearly always looks empty. I see it had a "Redrow" banner across some of it last night.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:16
I quote my next door neighbour this morning whose Company has a block of season tickets in the Tetleys...' I did not realise there was a game on and I won't go to any game that is not at three o' clock...'!!!!!!!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 18:52
Good win Saints. On your way back to winning ways.

p.s. the Friday night games are a pain in the whatsit. we have them at Bath too - next two key games v. Exeter and yourselves are both on a Friday night at 19.45 kick off. Making life very difficult indeed if any supporter who has to travel up or down the M4/M5 as many do and no doubt your geography is as tricky. Never mind as long as the clubs get their huge fee from BTSport which dwarves the amount from seatsales, they won't bother about how many season ticket holders (who have already paid) turn up.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

NobbyClarke
NobbyClarke (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 12:28
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

confusing your sports there Geordie lad?

I think the Falcons v Saints game has been moved to St James Park - bigger capacity I guess!!

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 09:02
Apart from the sparse crowd it was like rolling back the years for more than just Fodes. If we had played that way in the league games we would have won a good proportion of them and be sitting comfortably in the top 6.

It was the style, aggression, passion that made such a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net