rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Sadsaint
Atmosphere at rugby 2018
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:23
I would be interested to know how others view the atmosphere at grounds these days. Sometimes it feels like the football Iabandoned 26 years ago. I have been to the Ricoh the last two seasons but not this time. Last year we gave WAsps a great game and should have won, but to make it worse, the booing of so many decisions going against the home team became oppressive. Added to that were the continuous prompts from the tannoy to rouse the WAsps fans.
I e-mailed WAsps to voice my concerns and after 10 months, still no reply.
The only other occasion I wrote to a club to complain was Blackheath when we beat them down there in the mid 90s after having to listen to two young women who spent most of the match shrieking abuse at Tim Rodber and one or two of our other star players. No reply after 23 years!
Am I/was I over sensitive? I do believe rugby union crowds are fairer and better behaved than football, but is there a danger this may not always be the case?

tedge
Re: Atmosphere at rugby 2018
tedge (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:48
You may have a point

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 02:43
I think inflammatory questions like this are the last thing Saints supporters need to think about right now.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 06:34
This is a fair topic and interesting point. I live in Blackheath and am surprised at that, usually the old guard would monitor that these days but of course was a while ago.

There is a very strong correlation between crowd noise and respect. Munster, Clermont, Toulouse, Ulster, Glaws etc all loud and local crowd respectful.

Itís down to each club. We are very strong both sides (loud and respectful) and itís just up to us to keep that going.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:05
Itís a reflection of society in general IMHO. Manners need to be taught and a large influx of new supporters, as might happens when a club relocates, will take time to learn rugby traditions.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:26
I agree with you Stockers, that manners need to be taught. Setting an example to new supporters, showing them by our own actions how we should respect the players and officials. This, then, will hopefully continue into the future. I was a little dismayed yesterday at a lad in front of us and his father (I assume). Senior berating the referee and banging his fist on the empty seat next to him after seemingly every call that went against Saints. His son, maybe 10 or 11 years old, shrieking at the referee AND at the players - at one point screaming at Harry Mal that he was stupid to go for the posts. Now, when I was taken to watch my first rugby match my grandad made sure I knew about respecting, not only the players and officials but also your fellow supporters - of the game irrespective of the colours they wear - my grandad was a Tiger and never once questioned my support for Saints so long as I took enjoyment in the game.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:36
Agree with you sadsaint. Said the same last year and got pilloried for it. Found the atmosphere draining with the booing, buzzing, drumming and tannoy. That said others may think otherwise, tis only my opinion.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:56
The supporters helping to educate the oficials in the error of their decisions has always happenied and always will. This is fine IMO as long as it isn't abusive. Some refs don't actually help themselves though as they do not clearly signal what their decisions are.

For example, yesterday Mr Clancey awarded us a free kick from a scrum but he didn't signal the offence that he was penalising. Having ealier giving us a free kick for an early push by Cleremont the assumpotion was that his was the same offence and therefore should have been a penalty. I tied to educate Mr Clancey of the errors of his ways as one does. Had he signalled clearly that he was penalising Clermont for not hooking the ball I would have known that it was a different offence and that his decison was correct.

I think that rugby could find some way of better communicating with audience. We are now shown the reason for some penalties on the big screen hovever this only seems to be for a few offences. If all decisions were similarly communicated then it would probably reduce the need for the crowd to educate the officials.

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:12
Initially I too was puzzled that Saints were awarded the free kick, but then from my view in the Churches Clancy did in fact signal the "not hooked" decision.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:12
Listening on ref link, the assistants had a lot of input for decisions especially at the scrum.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:13
In fact, in their previous location, the insects crowd was not the most knowledgeable and chants of cheat, cheat, at officials were unfortunately too frequent. So they dont have the most promising base to build on. The same thing happens at the Madjseki, we had constant calling of Courtney being a 'dirty player' from a couple of families behind us, so kids of about 10 were being shown the football way not the rugby way. But generally the other more established rugby grounds are OK

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:19
Certainly not denying that Saintly Pursuit. The issue for me yesterday was the frequency, manner and volume of the advice offered to Sir from an individual - even when he got calls right. Once this begins to impact on others enjoyment of the spectacle then that, for me is a problem. I'm not easily offended and by no means a snowflake, but the values of respect in Rugby are for me central to it's enjoyment.

when the ref gets it wrong, obviously wrong, I expect him to come in for a bit from the crowd and at times this helps build atmosphere and can galvanise the crowd and players. But I'd hate to see some of those more unwelcome elements become the norm.

alexc
AlexC (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:24
At the twickers game there was a group of 20 somethingís essentially drunk and swearing every time they opened their mouths surrounding by families with kids. Now at that age I guess they donít think so much about their conduct but it took a few times from various people around them to tell thEm to cut the language. As mentioned, blame society, as crowd sizes grow you get people coming who lack the thought, care and courtesy for others. Unfortunately it is with the clubs and stewards, who often show little want to get involved.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:28
I gave Sir a fair bit of advice yesterday. Its tough when the officials give you multiple reasons to inform them of the laws, as was the case yesterday. But its never personal.

Its part of competitive team sports that fans can try to pressurise the officials a bit in their favour.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:33
One of my worst experiences was at Loftus Road sat behind a Wasps fan with my then 10 & 15 year old sons, he kept tuning around to us making really aggressive comments almost in the face stuff and I remember thinking football supporter. Unfortunately I think in a attempt to increase crowd sizes the sport in general is attracting more people with this sort of mentality.
Mind you I had an even worse experience at Welford Road but that's another story.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 10:56
I donít like the constant booing at decisions, some clubs are worse than others, Bath for example being one. Itís almost like itís a panto! What has also crept in is the howls of derision at any hint of a high tackle that was fair game 1-2 seasons ago. Every marginally high tackle deserves a red it seems from the more vocal of some crowds. I do think the Saints are better than most but itís getting slightly worse as each season passes

The tannoy revving up the crowd at Wasps, Irish et al is just unnecessary.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:12
Quote:
Walks11
I donít like the constant booing at decisions, some clubs are worse than others, Bath for example being one. Itís almost like itís a panto! What has also crept in is the howls of derision at any hint of a high tackle that was fair game 1-2 seasons ago. Every marginally high tackle deserves a red it seems from the more vocal of some crowds. I do think the Saints are better than most but itís getting slightly worse as each season passes
The tannoy revving up the crowd at Wasps, Irish et al is just unnecessary.

Iím afraid to disagree, we are very bad for it. Always blame the ref for losing.... my mates do it, everyone around me does it, the terrace does it etc

Neutral guests of mine usually comment on it, not a big deal but it grates on me

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:16
They're not very happy with their PA announcer over on thr Bath forum - a long term issue but specifically some splendidly ill judged attempts to gee up the crowd as they were getting stuffed by Scarlets.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

Shiraz_Saint
Shiraz_Saint (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 14:45
If referees make howlers they should be made aware of it.

We badly need the standard of refereeing to improve - some of it is criminally bad. If particular refs get booed regularly eventually someone may take action.

And Wayne Barnes should always be booed.

Sadsaint
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 17:06
Puzzled by your comment. Thanks to others for their thoughts.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 20:20
When I was working, it took a great deal of planning and effort to organise my rosters to get to all the games at the Gardens. Away games were a complete lottery but over the years we went to more grounds than I can perhaps remember, the seasons in the second tier being especially memorable. Upon retirement I had always planned to take in a great many more away games and the odd trip to Europe. However, getting to the point at last, for us at least, the change in atmosphere within Premiership rugby has led us to be much more selective than perhaps we used to be. We still enjoy Gloucester and Worcester, Newcastle and Exeter are ok, Sale is just too bleak and Welford Rd is, well, just Welford Rd and one day we will win there again ! The sheer artificiality of the atmosphere at the Ricoh and Madjeski we can live without; the Stoop is a four-sided Barwell Stand experience and Allianz Park is where most of the razzmatazz all started in the first place. We used to love an away game at the Rec in the saturday afternoon sunshine but even that would be spoilt by the abhorrent guy on the PA trying to wind up tne crowd.....yuk. The Gardens has also changed, tne fans are more fickle, less tolerant than once we were and we seem to be on the cusp of not learning from the mistakes of others........then again, I have reached old f*** status now !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2018 20:22 by Mobbs.

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 23:51
To the original poster. If you are still awaiting a reply from Blackheath after 23 years, you probably have to accept it isn't going to happen, unless they have a really cluttered in-tray.

Best to put it behind you and move on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net