rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

rugbymel
Lions stats
rugbymel (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 11:09
[twitter.com]

Interesting stats on domestic appearances of Lions tourists. Go Courtney.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 11:10 by rugbymel.

Nath-coys
Re: Lions stats
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 11:40
Fair play too Courts.

However slightly worrying the workload on the English players IMO.

Bob Fossil
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 12:46
You don't actually think this is something to be celebrated do you lads?

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Robby Richmond
You don't actually think this is something to be celebrated do you lads?

No I don't Robby, hence my statement 'worrying workload'.

And that is why I think the England squad is struggling with injuries.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 14:09
No Robby, neither do I. It could lead to the undoing of England in the Six Nations and I worry for Courtneyís welfare.

Former Hollywood Saint
20 January, 2018 14:47
Echoes what has been said on a number of podcasts and interviews. The Pro14 is geared to the Euro games, so they rest their key players in the weeks prior, as not many people (fans) care about the league. The attendances are case and point for that.

The Prem is all out every single week (bar LV weekends) so our top players have to be used more than the Pro14.

Its a worrying graph as the England players are clearly going to be more knackered come seasons end. However, at the same time the graph just highlights what we already know.

FHS

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:01
Have there been any studies regarding injuries v time played that shows a non-linear correlation? It's pretty obvious that the more time played the more likelyhood of picking up an injury but not that this accelerates.

I would also suspect that a fair percentage of injuries occur outside the actual match play. I which case the number of minutes played is less of a factor as minutes spent training is far in excess of game time.

Tiredness at the end of the season is another thing.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 01:14
FHS, a few seasons ago the English were saying that thanks to the very competitive AP their players were battle hardened for Europe. With this season's dreadful Euro campaign of the AP teams, back comes the nonsense that the Pro14 clubs are resting their players for Europe whilst the poor English are so so tired.

The facts are that the Pro14 clubs gave their Lions players far more time off pre-season, I saw JD2 being interviewed and informing the interviewer that he was back in training on the following Monday but was unlikely to play in the Pro14 game on the Saturday. At Saints on the same day, Lawes was actually playing his second pre-season and was very likely to play an AP game on the Saturday.

Squads should be big enough and talented enough to allow rotation, are you saying FHS that the AP clubs are not?

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 10:22
Quote:
Eif Jones
FHS, a few seasons ago the English were saying that thanks to the very competitive AP their players were battle hardened for Europe. With this season's dreadful Euro campaign of the AP teams, back comes the nonsense that the Pro14 clubs are resting their players for Europe whilst the poor English are so so tired.
The facts are that the Pro14 clubs gave their Lions players far more time off pre-season, I saw JD2 being interviewed and informing the interviewer that he was back in training on the following Monday but was unlikely to play in the Pro14 game on the Saturday. At Saints on the same day, Lawes was actually playing his second pre-season and was very likely to play an AP game on the Saturday.

Squads should be big enough and talented enough to allow rotation, are you saying FHS that the AP clubs are not?

Or are we saying the standard squad level in the Pro14 isnít as high as the premiership, so you can afford to rest players more? And role out the full squad in Europe?

It could be viewed either way Eif, depends on your spin?

Just out of interest, with the 2 conferences in Pro14 how does European qualification stand? And is it fair? As I know some clubs donít get to play certain teams at home? Surely with fixtures some clubs have an advantage, similar to 6 Nations when one year you get 3 home games?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net