Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
jdusty964
Sarries Vs Saints
jdusty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:47
Lads are playing well so far, few mistakes that Saracens are making the most of but overall not a bad performance, 2 More tries are more than possible and a win is not off the cards yet.

Keep it up lads.

Christoff
Re: Sarries Vs Saints
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:51
How's our defence. See we've no conceded 4 tries in the first half so can't be wonderful, however not watching.

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:52
Can someone explain why we aren't utilising press defence, is it tactical?

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:52
Not so sure to be honest. 5 tries conceded in First half. 20 points down at half time and staring down the barrell of another humping by Sarries.

Christoff
20 January, 2018 15:53
Uhm.....5 tries before HT.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:54
Malinder not playing well at all. Weak defense and flustered on the ball. Hope we see Smiler out for the 2nd half.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:55
Look good with ball in hand, precious little last 20 mins though. Not had the best of luck with bouncing ball or some 50/50 decisions. Sarries ruthless when they get a sniff

jdusty964
jdusty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:55
Defence has been inconsistent but as I said they are not playing badly its just that Sarries are taking the opportunities when they present themselves.

5 Tries scored against us before the break but we have also scored a couple of good efforts ourselves.

I have a feeling that Saracens may come out for the second period thinking the job is done but that would most definitely be their undoing.

Keep going guys we are not completely out of this game yes. 40 more minutes to pull it back.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:56
Messy. We just can't contain Saracens' power when they have the ball in hand and keep conceding ground. Then add in the errors and penalties.... Like being penalised at our attacking line out near the Sarries line only to infringe in the next lineout, conceding the length of the field as territory.

A shame, because we've had some spells of really slick handling. Need to keep the ball more in the second half. Courtney going sick probably isn't helping (but not much we can do about that!)

The game's not over yet though!

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 15:58
Two of Sarries tries did have what looked like forward passes in the build up. Need to tighten our defence

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:00
Quote:
smitferbrainz

22 tries conceded to Sarries in 2.5 games...

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:00
Quote:
smitferbrainz

22 tries conceded to Sarries in 2.5 games...

Joe Davison
20 January, 2018 16:01
Thought this as well. Amazing how the referee could see Benís Ďforwardí pass from 30m away but canít see Earle passing to wigglesworth or the pass to Goode. Still, poor defending and forward passes donít matter anymore.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:04
Both with momentum, I'm afraid.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:09
Quote:
MarchingIn
Malinder not playing well at all. Weak defense and flustered on the ball. Hope we see Smiler out for the 2nd half.

Are they reading this LOL

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:14
Must says feels a bit like one step forward and two back. Sarries the better team but we do seem to have a knack of making them look like superhumans. Yes they have pressured us into mistakes but we simply have to put more pressure on them, esp in contact. Ref hasnít been kind to us. And not particularly enjoying usual BT sport sarries love in.

jdusty964
jdusty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:24
Need to regain some composure

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:26
The BT love in is a little over the top. But fair play to Sarries they're giving us ANOTHER spanking in some style. 60 points this time? I can see it happening.

banburyst
banburyst (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:27
Don't think we're going to win the second half somehow*

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:32
It seems the law to pass backwards has been scrubbed from the law book

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:38
The frustration is that on several occasions the game has been changed by forward passes and dodgy bounces on the plastic pitch.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:43
That maybe Whiston but it does not account for such an horrific scoreline yet again.

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:45
To think we used to give these guys as good as we got, including wins at their place. Very tough watch now.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:49
Quote:
ElySaint
60 points this time? I can see it happening.

And...there it is.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:50
Now the most points we have ever conceded in Europe.

@#$%& poor second half and appalling scrum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 16:51 by MarchingIn.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:50
Embarrassingly bad

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:52
Not good. We got thrashed against Scarlets last week so many know how it feels.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:53
Not seen the game, but from the scoreline it's pretty unacceptable

Shiraz_Saint
Shiraz_Saint (IP Logged)
And Sarries have been kicking penalties not kicking for the corner.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
Our scrum is absolutely pathetic

Ow3n
Ow3n (IP Logged)
What BS, if only we started Brussow.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
Quote:
Bucksaint
To think we used to give these guys as good as we got, including wins at their place. Very tough watch now.

We had ball carriers then, and decent props. Now we do not.

Christoff
No doubt someone will give us the aggregate score this season v Sarries. Boy that's got to look awful.

Coltnet
Coltnet (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:58
Sarries +123 over us this season...so far

Coltnet
Coltnet (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 16:59
Pathetic effort today after not too bad a start. Do we not employ psychologists? If so, it hasnít worked!

jdusty964
jdusty (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:01
Write this one off and lets see what we can do next week, we could have won this one if we played consistently like we did in the first half, the guys knew we couldn't go any further in Europe so we were playing for pride. No real damage done, use this week to correct some of our shortcomings and lets try and put in a good performance in the Anglo Welsh. After that we need to ensure Premiership survival.

The first 20 Minutes was an example of what we are capable of and we now need to work on making that an 80 - 85 minute performance.

We have talent throughout the team we just need to find the formulae that works.

Chin up lads lets kick on next week and play to the potential that is out there.

Barnetsarrie12
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:06
The aggregate score from the games this season smitferbrainz is 174-51

Christoff
20 January, 2018 17:08
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
The aggregate score from the games this season smitferbrainz is 174-51

Thanks Barnet. Oh wow! A reality check for Mr Gaffney.

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:12
Fair points jdusty. But assuming we canít save everyone the hassle by agreeing a 40 point walkover (joke!), we really have to target our home league game against sarries this season and try and make a statement. Go out and hit them with everything weíve got. Important for pride, mental strength and give fans some hope for next season.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:15
Let's hope this isn't the end of a dead-cat bounce for us, and more that we just haven't figured out how to stop Sarries yet.

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:19
I really hope that there are some serious props on their way in the summer, because our scrum is still a complete embarrassment and we'll go nowhere without sorting that out. Whilst we started off well today, it ended up like the Exeter game as we fell away and got totally overpowered by a better side. Minus the ball carrying prowess of Courtney and Tei we were feeding off scraps and unlikely to cause Sarries many problems. Bringing Myler on was like raising the white flag, sadly he offers very little in terms of invention and imagination these days.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:26
Bad day for sure but Sarries are two classes above us, they wanted/needed it more and we rested players by our own admission. We are in a re-building process and todays result was always on the cards. What we need is a resolution of our DOR situation so that the club, its players, coaches and supporters ve some idea in which direction we are heading for next season.

I can only agree with comments about the BT adoration of all things Saracens and especially Itoje !!!

Oh, and the Cobblers won and are out of the relegation zone......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 17:32 by Mobbs.

saintjock
saintjock (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:41
We were beaten up in the forwards. We need power in the forwards. Saracens accuracy and lack of mistakes consistently. They were just class.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:43
Quote:
Mobbs
Bad day for sure but Sarries are two classes above us, they wanted/needed it more and we rested players by our own admission. We are in a re-building process and todays result was always on the cards. What we need is a resolution of our DOR situation so that the club, its players, coaches and supporters ve some idea in which direction we are heading for next season.
I can only agree with comments about the BT adoration of all things Saracens and especially Itoje !!!

Agreed - but Itoje does earn the adoration, don't you think? I wish we had a couple like him. Isiekwe not far behind him. They can afford to off-load/lose Earle. They bring on a tank at No.8 to replace a Springbok who in his retirement plays better than anyone in our back row. And the one Vunipola who could play carried 14(?) times?

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:43
Pumped again. Exactly what I wanted us to avoid.

We were lucky to finish second in that match, typical that a misfiring team fire against us, it will be interesting to see Mr Gaffney deals with this.

Whiston Saint
20 January, 2018 17:46
Quote:
Abington Adam
I really hope that there are some serious props on their way in the summer, because our scrum is still a complete embarrassment and we'll go nowhere without sorting that out. Whilst we started off well today, it ended up like the Exeter game as we fell away and got totally overpowered by a better side. Minus the ball carrying prowess of Courtney and Tei we were feeding off scraps and unlikely to cause Sarries many problems. Bringing Myler on was like raising the white flag, sadly he offers very little in terms of invention and imagination these days.

A ridiculous comment about Myler, with Harry totally overrun in the first half. In the 2nd half we could have had the All Blacks back division and it would have made no difference because we barely saw the ball. Forwards win games and backs decide by how much.

We need some Props or a Forwards coach who will work very hard on technique (not an ex-Leicester 9 to 5 man like we currently have). Despite 2 massively improved games, we still have the same falability in the forwards.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:53
Well said Whiston, pointing the figure at the fly half on such a day is laughable.

Can we also make our minds up if itís Wests fault or the props arenít good enough? Scrum seemed to be ok for most of the first half. Out of our 6 front row players in the squad 4 are internationals

MESSAGES->author
20 January, 2018 17:53
Quote:
Whiston Saint
Quote:
Abington Adam

A ridiculous comment about Myler, with Harry totally overrun in the first half. In the 2nd half we could have had the All Blacks back division and it would have made no difference because we barely saw the ball. Forwards win games and backs decide by how much.

We need some Props or a Forwards coach who will work very hard on technique (not an ex-Leicester 9 to 5 man like we currently have). Despite 2 massively improved games, we still have the same falability in the forwards.

Precisely what about my comment is ridiculous? You think that he offers invention and imagination? Really?! The only positive about bringing him on is that it protected Harry, who was not having a good day at the office but was our only hope of contributing anything positive in attack.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:54
As soon as Myler came on we went from side to side with little forward penetration giving Sarries the easiest defensive sets they could have wished for.

Desperately need some new props. Those that we have seem unable to improve scrummaging - but maybe coaching. I wonder how long some are contracted for? Brookes off by all accounts thank heavens.

MESSAGES->author
20 January, 2018 17:55
Quote:
Walks11
Well said Whiston, pointing the figure at the fly half on such a day is laughable.
Can we also make our minds up if itís Wests fault or the props arenít good enough? Scrum seemed to be ok for most of the first half. Out of our 6 front row players in the squad 4 are internationals

It wasn't Myler's fault, far from it, but once he came on there really was no hope. That we scored no points at all in the 2nd half was not solely down to him, but he's no longer a player who can influence the direction of a game.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 17:59
Dead rubber, players out, away at double European champions.

Forget about it and move on.

But Mr West, your scrums are an utter embarrassment

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:00
So disappointing
Have we really slipped so far that a hammering by Sarries is to be accepted as the norm
Jimís legacy is getting very dark
Letís hope we can regroup during LV and make achieving 8th or 9th in the league a target or possibility
While Brussow may add something in the forwards he canít cover one to eight - we may have misplaced expectations
I need a drink

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:00
Quote:
Walks11

I've been totally underwhelmed by our new props JFR and Van Wyk sadly. Ma'afu and Brooks seem to give away endless penalties at the scrum and poo Hill doesn't seem to get much look in. Area needs some serious attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 18:02 by ElySaint.

Barnetsarrie12
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:03
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
Mobbs

Agreed - but Itoje does earn the adoration, don't you think? I wish we had a couple like him. Isiekwe not far behind him. They can afford to off-load/lose Earle. They bring on a tank at No.8 to replace a Springbok who in his retirement plays better than anyone in our back row. And the one Vunipola who could play carried 14(?) times?

I agree with everything you said. I watched the game and i did not think sarries were given any more adoration than the deserved considering the game ended 62-14, why would they not give adulation to that team.

The Itoje thing is the same, he is one of the best players in the world so again, why would he not be given adulation.

I just think the two teams are at different stages of their journey. Sarries already have a well oiled machine and even though there has been many bad points this season, we have been able to blood young players like Isiekwe and i think you played some good stuff in the first 20 minutes.

I just think this off-season, your new coach has to come up with a new plan to suite the players you have and also a bit more tactical nous, I think Biggar will help, a few more forwards like Lawes and you will be on your way.

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:04
Scrum was dismal but some of that was the referee allowing Saracens to drive forward before the ball was even put in.

We started with confidence, made a couple of errors that allowed them to get in front, they then lost belief and went into their shells fearing another hammering which confounded issues and delivered the outcome they feared.
The decision to bring on Myler was probably a damage limitation exercise that backfired because we then had no creativity going forward.

Whiston Saint
20 January, 2018 18:06
I am sitting down and trying to work out how some other posters can have watched so many games of Rugby and not understand the fundamental basis of the game....Possession and territory.

We had lost by half time, Harry would have done no better than Myler in the 2nd half because we had virtually no usable possession. No ball means no points. He spent a lot of the first half like a rabbit caught in the headlights, running backwards and sideways.

MESSAGES->author
20 January, 2018 18:15
Quote:
Whiston Saint
I am sitting down and trying to work out how some other posters can have watched so many games of Rugby and not understand the fundamental basis of the game....Possession and territory.
We had lost by half time, Harry would have done no better than Myler in the 2nd half because we had virtually no usable possession. No ball means no points. He spent a lot of the first half like a rabbit caught in the headlights, running backwards and sideways.

"We had lost by half time". So my comment about waving the white flag was in fact pretty accurate, wasn't it? (Waving the white flag is a metaphor for surrendering/giving up)

Stevie Myler's right boot
20 January, 2018 18:20
Quote:
ElySaint

I've been totally underwhelmed by our new props JFR and Van Wyk sadly. Ma'afu and Brooks seem to give away endless penalties at the scrum and poo Hill doesn't seem to get much look in. Area needs some serious attention.

I am assuming poo Hill is a misspelling and not an analogy of our scrum *

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:22
He was getting run over so from a defensive perspective had to do something at half time. Similar to the Grayson scenario against Falcons. Iím afraid as talented as he is he needs to do something about his defence because teams are just going to do that all afternoon

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:34
Just finished watching the game having been out. A load of rubbish for 60 minutes, wrong tactics and countless errors and penalties. I didnít think we would win but I thought weíd put up a fight after the last two games. Never mind, out of a cup we had no real business being in in the first place.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:41
There was a time when we had two great props in Tiny and Mooj but they were just going beyond the peak of their powers and they chose to go for some pension payments in France. We took on PDJ who came with some potential but failed at the Gardens turning into a penalty machine. We have Alex Waller who is enormously experienced for his age but who peaked a long time ago when perhaps, just perhaps he should have gone on to full international honours. Danny Hobbs and Ethan Waller never really had the chance to develop and perhaps were simply not good enough. Keiran Brooks and Paul Hill are full Internationals but both appear to have gone backwards at a rate of knots. Campese and latterley Salesi Maafu added some south sea grunt but neither would challenge for a position in a top four side. We then sign Van Wyck and JFR who appear to fall into the same category. For some the shining exception either side of Dylan and Mikey was Alex Corbiseiro who was a class apart but predictably injury prone. There was a time when our pack and set-piece statistics were the envy of the Premiership. Our forwards coach is old school, a true Leicester man through and through; if rumours are to be believed Dorian appears reluctant to accept new ideas from the likes of Matfield, Picamoles and Hartley.

Thus if forwards win matches and backs decide by how many points......a look at the position of our principal forwards coach seems rather necessary.

Sadsaint
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:44
Missing this match today but the result and comments are disquieting. We were up there with Sarries four years ago now weíre so far behind. We needed this match to prove weíve turned the corner. Perhaps those who wanted Alan Gaffney to take over full time might think again. Now the Anglo Welsh and Six Nations approach it will be difficult to assess where we are other than in the bottom half of the Premiership. I think next season will tell us if and when we can dream of the play offs again.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:52
Quote:
Quote:
ElySaint

I am assuming poo Hill is a misspelling and not an analogy of our scrum *

It was auto-incorrect. But am considering using Poo Hill as a term for our scrum lol

Sadsaint
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 18:55
One final point; Harry is a great prospect but as a 12 or 15. I still shudder at him kicking the ball away to Gloucester when were trying to win that match. I believe in Stephen Myler and please pick him at 10 if heís fit. Yet to see much of Piers Francis who seems to be injury prone.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 19:00
Harryís game management and defence imo is not good enough for a 10 but his attacking talents are better than Mylers. We have compromise 10s atm and am looking forward to seeing Biggar next season. To be successful in this league, a 10 needs to be bagging 15 points a game

Christoff
20 January, 2018 19:28
Like I say a reality check for Mr Gaffney. Now one objective - avoid relegation. Simple as that.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 19:59
Every team has a bogey team, where all of their players attributes, exploit all of the opposing players weaknesses. Where their style of play exposes all the oppositions short comings.

I'm not dwelling on this result too much.
Saracens are good. Very good.
We are a club in a period of change, we are the lowest we've been since relegation.

I used to get upset and annoyed at our performances during Jim's last couple of years, but now I've got my head round the fact we aren't the powerhouse we used to be, the club has reacted and instigated change.. and that now we have admitted there's a problem , we are starting to address it.

Results like this don't bother me as much. It can be the worst European result we've ever had. I don't care. It was always going to be a big ask to change so much so fast in such a short space of time. And again I refer to the fact, they're just our bogey team.

Let's just be happy they're the reigning double European champions. It could be worse. I remember once upon a time London Irish with a certain "Mapletoft" were our bogey team.

We have made big improvements under Gaffney & I believe the team just need our support after this. We know it was bad, they know it was bad. But sh*t happens. I'm confident In the team and the direction Gaffney is taking us.

We will have bad times , but I'm confident we will enjoy the good times again soon. Let's not over react and let's support the lads during this hard rebuilding period. I'll be there for our next home game vs Irish shouting proud & ready to watch us get a nice 5 pointer. !

It might feel like deja vu again tonight, but the futures bright, the futures BG&G.
COYS!

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 20:11
Bogey teams are a psychological problem not so much a playing problem. We've played them enough times now that we should have had a plan to combat them. Either we just didn't have one or the players bottled it. I say they choked and reverted to type. We're mentally fragile. I don't mind the loss in itself but the manner in which we reverted back to being Sarries doormats. Were did all that grit and fight go? Why did we just wait for them to run over us rather than put any defensive pressure on them? We're mentally fragile. Gaffney seemed to acknowledge that we reverted back to bad old habits. The reason being. Yep, we're mentally fragile. Bogey teams are in the head.

Christoff
20 January, 2018 20:27
The Saints I saw playing Clermont should have done miles better than that performance today. We seemed to start well but from 0-7 up we lost 64-7. I hope this doesn't put the team back again. We seemed to be coming forward again but this result is a real blow. Now what was that about 50-1 odds? Seemed pretty accurate.

Saints065
Saints065 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:04
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Like I say a reality check for Mr Gaffney. Now one objective - avoid relegation. Simple as that.

here here

Flyhooker
Flyhooker (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:10
In my opinion Saints now have far too many players who are not good enough. Gaffney should view this match and the performance of the acid test of who should be retained going forward.
I am not a supporter of Harry Mallinder he just has not got the killer instinct or mental toughness required at this level. He is a nice player but not one who would win u anything. Look at Bruce when he used to catch the ball from full back and charge forward full of intent and likewise Mike Brown. I have never seen that in Harry and we should have by now. Wish I had.
Forwards well others have already highlighted our shortcomings. Well at least we had a brief respite from our poor season to date.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 22:06
I think today was all about the top 2 inches & not much more

Given what's gone before this season it was always going to be psychological & I don't think we should pay too much attention to it

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 22:18
We have been sucked into a sense of euphoria having got the wish of Jimís departure and instantly 2 wins arrive with an interim coach. This is not a quick fix and we were never going to go an unbeaten run through to the end of the season, there was always going to be bad performances on the way. At the end of the day today doesnít matter other than a bit more hurt pride.

Give Gaffney a chance and see where we are in 4-6 weeks. Target for me is to to win against bottom half and be competitive against every one else and sneak the odd losing BP or even a win.

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 22:46
Quote:
St.Sinner
Every team has a bogey team, where all of their players attributes, exploit all of the opposing players weaknesses. Where their style of play exposes all the oppositions short comings.
I'm not dwelling on this result too much.
Saracens are good. Very good.
We are a club in a period of change, we are the lowest we've been since relegation.

I used to get upset and annoyed at our performances during Jim's last couple of years, but now I've got my head round the fact we aren't the powerhouse we used to be, the club has reacted and instigated change.. and that now we have admitted there's a problem , we are starting to address it.

Results like this don't bother me as much. It can be the worst European result we've ever had. I don't care. It was always going to be a big ask to change so much so fast in such a short space of time. And again I refer to the fact, they're just our bogey team.

Let's just be happy they're the reigning double European champions. It could be worse. I remember once upon a time London Irish with a certain "Mapletoft" were our bogey team.

We have made big improvements under Gaffney & I believe the team just need our support after this. We know it was bad, they know it was bad. But sh*t happens. I'm confident In the team and the direction Gaffney is taking us.

We will have bad times , but I'm confident we will enjoy the good times again soon. Let's not over react and let's support the lads during this hard rebuilding period. I'll be there for our next home game vs Irish shouting proud & ready to watch us get a nice 5 pointer. !

It might feel like deja vu again tonight, but the futures bright, the futures BG&G.
COYS!

Well said.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 23:04
Blimey I have found a comrade in Flyhooker re Harry Mallinder !!!
I realise I am still in the minority but I just don't get what the majority seem to see. We keep hearing he is young and will be wonderful but in amongst an ok performance versus Clermont (still dodgy kicking) he throws in nightmares v Quins and Sarries ; sorry not goid enough if we really have ambitions to challenge in the future.

Saint Swill
Saint Swill (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 00:47
Men against shrimps!

Those bookies giving even money against a 25 point defeat turned out to be wildly optimistic!

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 06:54
Quote:
fleetg
Blimey I have found a comrade in Flyhooker re Harry Mallinder !!!
I realise I am still in the minority but I just don't get what the majority seem to see. We keep hearing he is young and will be wonderful but in amongst an ok performance versus Clermont (still dodgy kicking) he throws in nightmares v Quins and Sarries ; sorry not goid enough if we really have ambitions to challenge in the future.

I find it hard to argue with your assessment fleetg. I see a young player with great potential. At 6'5" and well over 17 stone he has the physical attributes to build a good defence but does not seem willing or able to. I agree he has blown hot and cold and he really needs to find consistency because next season he'll be 22 and with everyone fit I don't see him as having enough to be considered first choice at 10, 12 or 15.

I will temper this criticism with acknowledgment that he has filled the breach at 10 commendably with seemingly endless injuries to Piers and Myler.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 07:03
Just a note of reality..

We chose to rest Harrison, Api and Wood from the pack that beat Clermont

We lost Mitch to injury - Dylan ended the game playing #8

Our bench cover to change lock ended up being Ludlum - we replaced a tired lock with a tired lock.. no wonder the scrum imploded - Sarries brought on Skelton at the same time

We lost Courts pre game and played Ribbans at 6 alongside a very unconventional (talented but different style) Gibson - vs Burger, CC (who needs no introduction) and Maro in his usual England slot

Sarries, conversely - had signed a young but capped Tongan number 8 to cover their one weak spot (money talks) and got him on the pitch for impact with a full pack around him within a week of Billy being out

Props - agree - something has gone wrong, surprised we havenít seen something tried (consultant or different view) as replacing 4 props is ££££s

We beat Glos - that was a big line in the sand for me, we arenít top 3-4 nor can we be for anything more than a one off as we donít have the financial means to keep everyone - but we can be top 5-8

21 January, 2018 08:28
Just finished watching again and our defensive line speed was non existent - we went back into our shell and were stationary so they constantly had easy metres over the gain line every phase - for me it was the top 2Ē and itís now physiological with Sarries

OldMarovian
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 11:45
Quote:
St tub
Sarries, conversely - had signed a young but capped Tongan number 8 to cover their one weak spot (money talks) and got him on the pitch for impact with a full pack around him within a week of Billy being out

I'll go with that post being lack of knowledge rather than sniping.

Sarries have been looking for a backrow addition since it was obvious early in the season that both Billy and Rhodes would be out for a significant period of time. A number of options have been looked at and Vailanus signing isn't the result of Sarries splashing the cash a fortnight ago but rather a search that has been going on for months.

He looks a talented young chap but is 22? with one International cap and has been playing 7's for the past 4 years. If he's on half what Mitch Eaddie is on I would be very surprised.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net