rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

edwigg
Conditioning
edwigg (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 07:50
It’s clear for everyone to see that our conditioning is not at the level it has been in the past. We have some players carrying to much weight and others not enough.
The effort that was put in during the week, into the Gloucester and Clemont games obviously emptied the tanks and against Sarries we were a spent force.

Poor line speed, players slow to get back into the line and back onto their feet.
The last 30 mins the squad were running on empty.

We all know it’s a totally different game, mentally and physically when you are defending.......it’s harder work but it’s this time of the year where a strong conditioning regime pays dividends.

It’s a major problem and one you cannot solve during the season, so it will not improve.
Nick Johnson wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he knew how to run a strength, conditioning & medical dept.

I think Allan Gaffney realised yesterday that he won’t be able to sit with his feet on the table whilst he tops up his pension pot!!

Walks11
Re: Conditioning
Walks11 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 10:12
Do you think he ever thought that?

It’s a mind set for me not a physical one. The players are being asked to adapt to a new regime and this will take time to become consistent.

If you think we were missing Courts and T two of our catalysts and Wood who has been much better these last two weeks.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 12:35
I remember reading when the Hood was sacked that a lot of it came from player pressure and players not happy with the brutal regime.

It worried me at the time and with hindsight did it Mark the start of our decline.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 13:11
80 minute performances were put in against Gloucester and Clermont so it can be done

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 15:30
Quote:
SaintMaul
I remember reading when the Hood was sacked that a lot of it came from player pressure and players not happy with the brutal regime.
It worried me at the time and with hindsight did it Mark the start of our decline.

There were several rumours flying around, the main one being that he wanted to be more involved in selection & player changes during the game

TimperleySaint
TimperleySaint (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 16:59
It's really hard for us to make any concrete claims re: conditioning this season. Any team that is lacking in confidence like saints will tire more quickly. Any team that has been beaten as heavily as saints will tire more quickly. Any team that spends most of the match defending will tire more quickly.

I think we need to see how we are when we actually play as we could consistently. If we are playing well for 60 minutes then dropping off the cliff then that is a clear indication.

I think everything that has happened over the last few years has culminated in a negative mindset that takes time to undo. This mindset is at the heart of our slump rather than fitness.

Obviously just my opinion!

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 17:35
Conditioning not the issue, I posted a question to a chap I sit with (a former academy coach) and stated v Gloucester and clermont you could physically see we were 2 up tackling and I said. We’ve never done this we could fall apart with 20 to go as we’re not conditioned for it.
Post game we said clearly we are we just haven’t had he desire to work that hard.

Yesterday was not about conditioning. Sarries have something over us. For the first 20 we stuck to our new routine in attack and defence, looked like we’d do ok. A couple of errors crept in under pressure and all of a sudden we reverted to where we’d been. This happens when teams are in transition and put under pressure. You revert to what you know best even if it’s not the best for you.

Hopefully a few weeks of working on this while he LV is on and the new way will become more natural to us.

Bob Fossil
. (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 12:51
"You can't coach desire"
Paul Grayson

Teddyb
Teddyb (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 22:29
There was no sacking, it was common knowledge NJ left because he’d had enough of DW....a common theme at this club. There’s been a marked decline since his departure I agree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net