Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Josh Bassett
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 13:32
Stays with Wasps.

[www.wasps.co.uk]

How bad are things? We're back to being the jam in the sandwich, that's really, really bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2018 13:32 by Robby Richmond.

Walks11
Re: Josh Bassett
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 13:51
smacks of another agent touting his client about just to get him a better deal at current club. cant blame them i suppose but poor if they have got into protracted talks with other clubs. all those in the know 'done dealers' retreat into the background at a rapid rate of knots. Did Fisler & RIL report this as done

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 13:59
All reports have suggested a u turn by him and at present with uncertainty and a strong likelihood of challenge cup rugby, I can't blame him.

HungryLikeTheWolf
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 14:46
Just on rugby terms, if I was him I would have gone. He won’t get enough rugby at Wasps but maybe they whacked an extra £20k or so on the table and money talks...

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 15:26
If you don't get committment then nothing is lost. Playing us off probably.

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 15:32
Cut RIL some slack folks, he and Fissler were nowhere near the only one reporting this as a done deal.

This was definitely more than agents playing games to get more money out of his current club - and when you look at Foden's remarks this week as well, I can understand how he would have decided to back out of a deal with us.

COYW15
COYW15 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 15:32
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Just on rugby terms, if I was him I would have gone. He won’t get enough rugby at Wasps but maybe they whacked an extra £20k or so on the table and money talks...

He started pretty much every game for us this season until he picked up an injury.

Moorio_Wasp
Moorio_Wasp (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 16:04
Speaking as a wasps STH, the idea of Bertie not being anywhere near the top of the pecking order is nonsense. Was keeping Marcus Watson out of the match day squad entirely for quite a while, and only stopped starting as (as well as needing a rest after playing during Elliot’s post lions rest period) Juan de Jongh was so integral defensively at 13, that Daly was slotted in at wing with Bassett on the bench. And given the way the premiership is breaking players left right and centre at pretty much every club, is it wise at all for any player to play every game? And for the commitment comments he’s been getting on this board (not necessarily this particular thread), his initial decision to join you guys was obviously based on conversations with Mallinder, now obviously rendered irrelevant.

HungryLikeTheWolf
25 January, 2018 16:04
Quote:
COYW15
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

He started pretty much every game for us this season until he picked up an injury.

think that was before Watson was a regular, would be surprised if picked ahead of him now and also surprised if another winger isn’t signed. Happy to be proven wrong.

Raggs
Raggs (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 16:30
He's not been playing because he's injured...

Ow3n
Ow3n (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 17:08
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

Just on rugby terms, if I was him I would have done what I could to get out of a contract to come here (if such ever existed). No confirmed management structure for next season. No clear direction from top to bottom. No overt recruitment strategy, so bad long-term players are left out in the cold. Minimum two-hard seasons of plugging away just to 'compete'. And still a boil that remains to be lanced.

Good luck to the guy, its a short career.

Hakuna Tuala
Hakuna Tuala (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 17:28
Quote:
Ow3n
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

Just on rugby terms, if I was him I would have done what I could to get out of a contract to come here (if such ever existed). No confirmed management structure for next season. No clear direction from top to bottom. No overt recruitment strategy, so bad long-term players are left out in the cold. Minimum two-hard seasons of plugging away just to 'compete'. And still a boil that remains to be lanced.

Things really aren't that bad..

I'm sure all prospective signings are fully aware that we already have lots of top players including the England captain and first choice Welsh fly-half, a fantastic stadium, plenty of past cup winning pedigree and competitiveness at the highest level consistetly.

By signing for Northampton you are 100% not throwing your career down the drain!

Things ARE on the up!

And as the board say people are queuing up to take the job!

So chin up Ow3n and anyone else feeling the blues!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 17:30
Quote:
Ow3n
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

That’s not true though is it. There is a clear message from the board, whether we believe it or not is a moot point but the messages are clear.

No DoR in place agreed.

At the end of the day these guys are professional rugby players and it shouldn’t matter a jot who is in charge. He could have signed for Jim and Jim be sacked 6 months later it’s the nature of the beast. Do we in our chosen professions throw the towel in every change of leadership

HungryLikeTheWolf
25 January, 2018 17:35
Quote:
Ow3n
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

HOW MANY TIMES do I have to bang on about Johan Ackermann before the notion of it taking 2 years to become competitive is clearly absolute BS.

With decent resources all it takes is one too DoR, his team and some sensible recruitment and all you need is one summer to turn a squad from bottom half to top 4.

If Ackermann has this squad from last summer we would be top 4.

Granted, there is hiatus over the DoR right now but the idea that someone wouldn’t sign because we are guaranteed to be lower table for 2 years is for the birds.

RugbyInsideLine
RugbyInsideLine (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 17:36
Quote:
HerbieSaint
Cut RIL some slack folks, he and Fissler were nowhere near the only one reporting this as a done deal.
This was definitely more than agents playing games to get more money out of his current club - and when you look at Foden's remarks this week as well, I can understand how he would have decided to back out of a deal with us.

I think if he goes back and reads our tweets, then Walks11 will find we were spot on with this.

Tonga'uiha Signed Tweet

Not Signed Tweet

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 18:09
I said this on the thread about Wasps signing Lima Sopoaga...

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Quote:
As I've said previously, finding a new job/club is tough. Some players have loads of trust in an agent, others will worry intensely about it, it depends whether you're feeling the love and wanted. Sometimes the grass isn't greener too.
But if you're out of contract, for the most part, you'll tell everyone you're going (whether you want to or not) & the dressing room, physio room & gym will be awash with claims, numbers and promises.
Brinksmanship.

I was told he'd signed 'heads' as we've seen that's no guarantee of signing. It's even something where you can go into the DOR & say, that's it, I'm going... ...make me stay... Josh he even told former players & assorted wasps supporters at a pre-match lunch that he's offski, a former player has then used his media profile & podcast where he & his mate talk endlessly about penises to spread that about. Now that's brinksmanship of the highest order. Kudos.

I wonder if Goodey is getting 5%? *

Wolfy says we should have just gone in and offered him an extra 20k, yeah, fine, but there's no one at the club to actually do that.

This is a lad who saw off Frank the Tank, is someone I wanted saints to sign back in 2013, and unlike a lot of wingers, is actually getting better with age. Fair play, he's staying at Wasps. I wouldn't come to Saints at the moment, no right minded player would. Once again, recurring theme we've completely balls up recruitment this season. We'll end up offering Fodes a new deal now, fair enough.

On recruitment from now until probably September (Or when they eventually give Dickens the job) -

• We'll panic about just getting bodies in rather than bringing in the RIGHT players.
• We'll be mentioned in dispatches by Fissler & co for every. single. player. on. the. market. & sign none of them.
• We'll be used (as Bristol currently are) by agents as a bargaining tool to get lads new deals at their current clubs.

That's being the jam in the sandwich, that's a return to 10 years ago, that's the end of the beginning of the end.

HungryLikeTheWolf
25 January, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Robby Richmond
I said this on the thread about Wasps signing Lima Sopoaga...
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Quote:
As I've said previously, finding a new job/club is tough. Some players have loads of trust in an agent, others will worry intensely about it, it depends whether you're feeling the love and wanted. Sometimes the grass isn't greener too.
But if you're out of contract, for the most part, you'll tell everyone you're going (whether you want to or not) & the dressing room, physio room & gym will be awash with claims, numbers and promises.
Brinksmanship.

I was told he'd signed 'heads' as we've seen that's no guarantee of signing. It's even something where you can go into the DOR & say, that's it, I'm going... ...make me stay... Josh he even told former players & assorted wasps supporters at a pre-match lunch that he's offski, a former player has then used his media profile & podcast where he & his mate talk endlessly about penises to spread that about. Now that's brinksmanship of the highest order. Kudos.

I wonder if Goodey is getting 5%? *

Wolfy says we should have just gone in and offered him an extra 20k, yeah, fine, but there's no one at the club to actually do that.

This is a lad who saw off Frank the Tank, is someone I wanted saints to sign back in 2013, and unlike a lot of wingers, is actually getting better with age. Fair play, he's staying at Wasps. I wouldn't come to Saints at the moment, no right minded player would. Once again, recurring theme we've completely balls up recruitment this season. We'll end up offering Fodes a new deal now, fair enough.

On recruitment from now until probably September (Or when they eventually give Dickens the job) -

• We'll panic about just getting bodies in rather than bringing in the RIGHT players.
• We'll be mentioned in dispatches by Fissler & co for every. single. player. on. the. market. & sign none of them.
• We'll be used (as Bristol currently are) by agents as a bargaining tool to get lads new deals at their current clubs.

That's being the jam in the sandwich, that's a return to 10 years ago, that's the end of the beginning of the end.

*** No I said maybe Wasps offered extra ....

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 19:30
Quote:
RugbyInsideLine
Quote:
HerbieSaint

I think if he goes back and reads our tweets, then Walks11 will find we were spot on with this.

Tonga'uiha Signed Tweet

Not Signed Tweet

Well done.. and yet you retweeted ultimate rugby’s post about it being a done deal on the 8/1

HungryLikeTheWolf
25 January, 2018 19:33
why are you giving RIL a tough time? He’s a young lad who’s mad about the game and is just trying to stimulate some interest and discussion with gossip.

he has no obligation to provide some sort of service

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 19:37
HLTW
Putting a few words in capitals doesn't make you right : it's just your opinion !!
I just happen to agree with some that it will take a significant amount of time (2 to 3 years) to compete again for top 4. I don't think we have a squad packed with enough "top 4 players" anymore plus a number of coaches need to go hence the timeframe to fix it. Just my opinion of course.
Gloucester lost just recently to the worst Saints side I have seen for many a year. Glaws have some talent but they are still headless at times (much like our own Harry) and make crazy decisions : not a top 4 trait. I personally don't think they will finish top 4.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 20:07
Whatever you say or whatever way you look at it
It’s another kick in the nuts for the hard done by saints supporters
If it wasn’t a done deal why didn’t the club just put a break on the story - nothing definite just ‘ nothing agreed still in discussion ‘ anything but give the supporters something

The ‘ we don’t comment on anything ‘ is a load of tosh

HungryLikeTheWolf
25 January, 2018 20:26
Quote:
fleetg
HLTW
Putting a few words in capitals doesn't make you right : it's just your opinion !!
I just happen to agree with some that it will take a significant amount of time (2 to 3 years) to compete again for top 4. I don't think we have a squad packed with enough "top 4 players" anymore plus a number of coaches need to go hence the timeframe to fix it. Just my opinion of course.
Gloucester lost just recently to the worst Saints side I have seen for many a year. Glaws have some talent but they are still headless at times (much like our own Harry) and make crazy decisions : not a top 4 trait. I personally don't think they will finish top 4.

I’m just tired of this “we are doomed for years” when we have plenty of decent players. With some sensible recruitment up front and a worldy coach we could easily attain top 4 next year. Especially since we won’t be in major European comp...

On Glaws. I expect them to over achieve again during 6Nations.

They lose Moriarty and I think that’s about it.... they’ve got Tigers and Wasps at home during that time who will be heavily depleted. Worcester away, which they’ll win.

Let’s see

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 21:05
Fair enough HLTW and a good debate.
I am not generally a doom monger but due to the fact it has taken so long for Saints to do anything during our demise in results and performances, I feel it will take a significant time to fix (i.e shipping out some players who in my opinion are no longer the right ones to get us up the table again). We are loaded up with Wanderers + + quality but nowhere near enough in the first 23 to be challenging for a title in the relatively near future.

HungryLikeTheWolf
25 January, 2018 21:10
I think we need to give Mssrs White and Darbon a fair crack....

Saint Wilf
Saint Wilf (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 23:05
It clearly takes allsorts - ha ha ha!

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 23:13
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Quote:
fleetg
HLTW

I’m just tired of this “we are doomed for years” when we have plenty of decent players. With some sensible recruitment up front and a worldy coach we could easily attain top 4 next year. Especially since we won’t be in major European comp...

On Glaws. I expect them to over achieve again during 6Nations.

They lose Moriarty and I think that’s about it.... they’ve got Tigers and Wasps at home during that time who will be heavily depleted. Worcester away, which they’ll win.

Let’s see

I wouldn’t go that far. Tigers Wasps Exeter Sarries Bath Newcastle Gloucester Quins and Sale surely also have designs on the top 4 with the right coaching and recruitment. Whilst we should be doing better than we are we are not the established club to be struggling and unable to come up with a quick fix solution.

welsh wasp
welsh wasp (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 23:35
Am I right in thinking that players can only sign a contract with a new club in January? This certainly is the time when clubs announce new signings from other Premiership clubs.
HLTW: Wasps have just one player involved in the 6N squads & that’s Launchbury. The only reason we will be depleted is the number of players still injured - including Bassett.

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 January, 2018 08:27
yes but Daly, maybe fit Hask, Hughes would be gone. Always amazed Robson isn’t ahead of Care but so be it. I’d also have Thomas Young in Wales squad although he needs to run with his head up and pass occasionally!

but yes you’ll still be pretty strong although think fully fit Glaws at kingsholm is one of the toughest games during this period

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 12:57
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
why are you giving RIL a tough time? He’s a young lad who’s mad about the game and is just trying to stimulate some interest and discussion with gossip.
he has no obligation to provide some sort of service

My original comment wasn’t directed at him directly but used him and Fisler as an example rather than a factual they said this or that. He Obviously took it in a different way. They all seem quick to announce told you so when they have nailed someth8ng but less inclined to say actually I got it wrong on this occasion.

I have no issue with what he’s doing and choose not to follow his posts (withstanding my tiny bit of research above) which is my choice and am sure that won’t impact his life or what he’s doing in the slightest. Good luck to him

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 13:11
Tigers have signed guy Thompson from wasps and will Spencer from wuss. Don't know much about Spencer but Thompson looks a decent bit of business

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 15:07
Always rated Thompson and it makes you wonder if Wasps are extending Nizam Carr's contract which would be a good bit of business on there part as I think he's only on a short term contract.

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 17:05
Quote:
Dragonboy
Always rated Thompson and it makes you wonder if Wasps are extending Nizam Carr's contract which would be a good bit of business on there part as I think he's only on a short term contract.

Pretty sure they mentioned in commentary last weekend it was his last match as he was heading back to SA

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 January, 2018 08:03
Quote:
herbie85
Tigers have signed guy Thompson from wasps and will Spencer from wuss. Don't know much about Spencer but Thompson looks a decent bit of business

Spencer is very good IMHO, 2 excellent signings and both ball carriers.....

We had very little ball carriers up front...

bg
bg (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:07
Quote:
SaintsDuncan
Quote:
Dragonboy

Pretty sure they mentioned in commentary last weekend it was his last match as he was heading back to SA

Carr was signed on a short term injury cover 3 month contract. He already had a Stormers contract signed which he had to honour so went back to SA last week some time. His contract with the Stormers ends at the end of this Super Rugby season.

I suspect Dai has already put an offer on the table for him to come back next Autumn but on a longer 2 or 3 yr deal but its a big step for Carr who has a wife and young kid. By all accounts he really enjoyed his time in the midlands an due to the lovely winter.. got to experience snow for the first time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net