rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Sarries new (old) signing
shendy (IP Logged)
25 January, 2018 22:05
Strettle going back to Barnet for a season after 3 at Clermont.

Lamont4Saints
Re: Sarries new (old) signing
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 06:43
Very surprised by this. Not a great signing on the surface of things but who knows!

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 08:09
Liam Williams (Lions), Sean Maitland (Lions), Alex Lewington and David Strettle.

I think they'll survive!

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 08:29
Heís gone a little off the radar with the emergence of Raka. Still, there are means and ways to get in under the salary cap, which is utterly meaningless.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 08:55
The guy is a top footballer. Good skill set and let's be honest playing on the wing for sarries when they are on form isn't overly taxing for an international player

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 09:09
HLTW I wouldn't have said he was on that much? Has had a few years top up money in France, the new rules means they need offload some foreigners, so if he want reasonable money, why not go somewhere he was for years, knows the set up, coaches etc

My question I would ask is this because Earle has left, or did Earle leave because he was returning... Id hope the former, Earle is a huge talent.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 09:09
plenty of room in the Sarries salary cap

just saying ...
just saying ... (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 09:22
Looks like a decent replacement for Chris Wyles.

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 January, 2018 09:49
Salary cap is meaningless

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 10:06
Quote:
Neil-H
HLTW I wouldn't have said he was on that much? Has had a few years top up money in France, the new rules means they need offload some foreigners, so if he want reasonable money, why not go somewhere he was for years, knows the set up, coaches etc
My question I would ask is this because Earle has left, or did Earle leave because he was returning... Id hope the former, Earle is a huge talent.

Wyles is retiring after this season so I guess short term cover till they secure a permanent replacement for the season after.

Barnetsarrie12
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 10:35
We have lost Ellery to 7's, Wyles is retiring and Strettle is a direct replacement. Lewington is a replacement for Earle who we wanted to keep but Quins offered more. Alex Shaw from Rugby pass is reporting that next year we are going for a very good young winger, which i guess might be Cokanasingha but everyone we have brought in so far has been to replace someone leaving so i don't see how the salary cap can be brought up with a 34 year old winger

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 January, 2018 10:53
Strettle is not per se a cap issue on its own but:-

tolofua, george, brits vs hartley, haywood, marshall

itoje, kruis, skelton vs lawes, day, ribbans

etc etc

yes doff hat for home grown lions but they are still lions with market value

Barnetsarrie12
26 January, 2018 11:00
Skelton replaced Jim Hamilton. Itoje and Kruis are on contracts they signed in 2016 when neither of them was a lion so i doubt they will be getting much more.

Brits is off at the end of the season and i would not imagine to be on that much more. Look allegations of salary cap misconduct in the past yes maybe but at the moment every signing makes sense and we only sign people when we are going to lose someone else

Liam Williams for Ashton
Skelton for Jim Hamilton
Strettle for Wyles

If we were breaking the cap, we would have kept Earle, as we could not compete with the money from Quins we can't. You guys have two TH props who have been England internationals, a wing who was broken in North, Hartley on big money. Only Lawes is value for money, we get value for the money we spend, you don't. Spend your money better

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 January, 2018 11:07
ok not for public forum!

also Saints utter misuse of the cap is different to discussing potentially playing games with it. North marquee so irrelevant.

Brooks on good money but less than Koch. Hill wonít be and defo way less than Mako etc.

Barnetsarrie12
26 January, 2018 11:13
It's all speculation. I don't know how much they earn, you don't know either. I am sure every club since the scandal with Bath and Sarries has to present their books and last time i checked, no one has said sarries is doing anything wrong.

You are also not taking into account the fact that players might take less to play at sarries at many other clubs not only for the amazing coachng, great team environment, support for family, opportunity to win trophies etc.

Speculating who earns more between Hill and Koch and Maro and Lawes or whoever is pointless, at the moment sarries are not seen to break any laws and we are getting complete value for the money we spend and you clearly are not. That should be the issue not speculation on what someone might be earning or not earning

Barnetsarrie12
26 January, 2018 11:16
What i would say and i think it is stupid they don't publish this is for Premiership rugby to publish the salaries of all the players for all the clubs.

They do that in the NFL, you know how much people earn in football, I don't get this weird secrecy in rugby, make it transparent, publish the salaries.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 11:38
You'd be pretty shocked if they did post the salaries

Sarries will have the issue(s) we had (although the raising of the cap next year will go a long way to easing the pain I expect) - as Billy, Mako, George, Kruis, Itoje, Isekwe amongst others will all be up for a contract renewal..

They also need to go shopping and replace Britz, Schalk, Wyles, Wiggy, Brad B & Bosch - all 34+ except BB who is 32 and all pivotal to what Sarries do and are

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 January, 2018 11:38
Totally agree

Rugby is so amateurish with regards transparency. Despite the US being the most capitalist country on the planet, the NFL is the most egalitarian system with draft system, properly monitored cap and open finances

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 12:14
Thanks, I didn't realise Wyles was retiring this year, so makes perfect sense.

Barnetsarrie12
26 January, 2018 12:37
Quote:
St tub
You'd be pretty shocked if they did post the salaries
Sarries will have the issue(s) we had (although the raising of the cap next year will go a long way to easing the pain I expect) - as Billy, Mako, George, Kruis, Itoje, Isekwe amongst others will all be up for a contract renewal..

They also need to go shopping and replace Britz, Schalk, Wyles, Wiggy, Brad B & Bosch - all 34+ except BB who is 32 and all pivotal to what Sarries do and are

George is signed until 2021, he signed a new deal at the start of this season, Isiewke also so i doubt he will be up for renewal until 2020 at the earliest. The only guys we would need to resign would be the two vunipola's and Maro and Kruis and some of the money for that will come from Brits, Burger, Wiggy, Brad, all of who will be leaving at the end of this season or next season.

I also think we will promote Ben Earl and Jack Nay to senior roles to take over from some of those guys

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 13:04
a players individual salary is none of our business.

the only thing that could be public is the total squad salary except the marquees.

I certainly wouldn't want my salary to be publicly visible and i'm sure most on here wouldn't want theirs published either.

Whilst the players have a job that is more in the public eye, it is still a confidential matter.

Barnetsarrie12
26 January, 2018 14:11
Most other sports do it and it is not a problem. I don't see the big deal in publishing salaries and it would remove all of the guess work over what player is earning what.

I cannot think of a single Major sport on earth where you don't know how much the players earn, you know in tennis, football, basketball, formula one, you know how much prize money is there in Boxing and MMA.

Comparing your salary and making it public and a professional sportsman is apples and oranges, every other sport does it, it is archaic this idea that they should not publish it.

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
26 January, 2018 16:15
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
support for family

It's areas like this that Saracens have long been rumoured to be breaking the cap. Were there not a few stories of houses changing hands in South Africa?

You talk about Saracens "presenting their books" and not getting pinged, so all must be well - that has to be the most naive opinion on the matter that I've ever read. Every club has had to do that for many reasons, beyond the salary cap, for a long time now. The salary cap is worded in such a way that in can be manipulated in favour of the club. You mention that you don't know individual salaries, and that fact extends to you not knowing the details of the deals offered to players. To that extent, you cannot know that Saracens are not manipulating the cap, any more than Saints fans cannot know that Saints AREN'T (aside from us not having enough money to even try it).

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 January, 2018 07:58
It isnít just the salaries which arenít and should be public itís also the completion prize money?

Any ideas what you get for winning the AP? Or the champions cup? Or Amlin? LV? Any ideas... anyone?

Elements of the game are still so amateurish

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 January, 2018 08:01
IPL cricket, open salaries in auction process

[www.bbc.co.uk]

large
To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:05
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
It's all speculation. I don't know how much they earn, you don't know either. I am sure every club since the scandal with Bath and Sarries has to present their books and last time i checked, no one has said sarries is doing anything wrong.
You are also not taking into account the fact that players might take less to play at sarries at many other clubs not only for the amazing coachng, great team environment, support for family, opportunity to win trophies etc.

Speculating who earns more between Hill and Koch and Maro and Lawes or whoever is pointless, at the moment sarries are not seen to break any laws and we are getting complete value for the money we spend and you clearly are not. That should be the issue not speculation on what someone might be earning or not earning

Why do you engage with these imbeciles?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

MESSAGES->author
Pyffy (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:59
Quote:
To Mega Therion
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12

Why do you engage with these imbeciles?

Probably because all of The City of London's best brainiacs on the Sarries site were knitting navel fluff and he wanted to help educate us country bumpkins. But welcome anyways (Sm108)

Proud member of the Saints Season Ticket Holder Happy Clapper Club since 2006.(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net