rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

TheGent
The Board
TheGent (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:02
Have to say I've been very impressed by the board's conduct since letting Jim go.

You could argue that that decision came too late but since it's been made they have brought in a great short term solution to stabilise and gone about finding a quality long term dor in a quick, efficient manner with limited fuss.

No idea if Chris the right man but he's got the pedigree to do a great job and we're in a lot better position than most of us expected 6 weeks ago - well done Mark and the board.

shiversaint
Re: The Board
shiversaint (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:07
Quite agree - as supporters we can hardly complain. The steps that have been taken post Jim are entirely those of a well functioning, pragmatic business. We all cried for a quick solution after Jim and then immediately started crying for a long term solution. Both have been delivered, and without knowing what the future holds, its hard to imagine we could be in a better position right now.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:07
Totally agree

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:12
+1

As much negativity as there may have been this year, lots little things seem to have changed for the better as well. One of the best for me is the openness about injuries.

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:12
Agree completely. You’d hope they’ve given old Boydy free reign on his back up coaching staff and playing squad and budget. Someone mentioned John Plumtree as an option to come with him- would be brilliant.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:16
Agreed. Well done Board. Not mucked about at all.......finally.

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:16
I'm really impressed with the urgency they've shown to get this done - hanging around much longer would have posed a serious risk to recruitment/re-signing.

One of the main jobs of a board is to appoint the highest calibre executives to run the business, and hold them accountable to the shareholders.

With the impressive Mark Darbon running the business side, and now an exceptional candidate selected for the rugby side too, they've done a great job.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 16:19
The board have really delivered on this one and hopefully dug themselves out of a hole.
It just goes to demonstrate how much talent exists in the SH. Very much looking forward to seeing how he motivates the club.

Former Hollywood Saint
29 January, 2018 16:33
lets not forget the little things like actually letting the fans know what is going on on the injury front too. Little things like that make a difference as well.

If he can use his contacts from Dubai and get some billionaire backing as well, that wouldn't go amiss!

FHS

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:27

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:28
What I like is that the club kept the developments tight. No hints to mates, any of that crap. Much more professional.

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 18:49
Professionally done and congratulations. All that remains are for the bar queues and stewarding adjacent pitch to be sorted out*

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 January, 2018 19:16
Chris is patient and likes warm beer...

unlucky guys

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:57
Impressive interview by Mark D

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 22:00
You have to laugh at those posters on here who castigated the Chairman for daring to be in the Southern Hemisphere when the club was supposedly in crisis!

HungryLikeTheWolf
29 January, 2018 22:24
Quote:
Stockers
You have to laugh at those posters on here who castigated the Chairman for daring to be in the Southern Hemisphere when the club was supposedly in crisis!

agreed

Hollywood JK
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 22:30
Don’t want rain on anyone’s parade, but our Chairman ans CEO are very well paid, and what you are describing is they’ve been competent! Which is the very least we should expect, and I’m sorry it wasn’t a tough act to follow after Hewitt and Robson.

A ruthless streak in our board was long overdue!

I will save my compliments once the recruitment is down for next season, as Dan Biggar alone won’t make the difference if we don’t provide him with front foot ball!

World class Props, winger and no.8 still needed!

Christoff
29 January, 2018 22:55
Quote:
Hollywood JK
Don’t want rain on anyone’s parade, but our Chairman ans CEO are very well paid, and what you are describing is they’ve been competent! Which is the very least we should expect, and I’m sorry it wasn’t a tough act to follow after Hewitt and Robson.
A ruthless streak in our board was long overdue!

I will save my compliments once the recruitment is down for next season, as Dan Biggar alone won’t make the difference if we don’t provide him with front foot ball!

World class Props, winger and no.8 still needed!

It's inconceivable that he won't be involved in recruitment in some way for me. Not only that I think we may be viewed entirely differently by players who may be on the move. Big step forward. My feeling is that Dan Biggar may be feeling very differently to how he felt the night we got creamed at home v Ospreys. Maybe it was just me but it seemed that he was very uncomfortable about things that evening. He may feel entirely different now.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 23:24
Sackings mid-season r high risk particularly when it meant we had an out-of-his-depth Dickens in charge. No criticism of Dickens as he's only just become a first team coach.

The timing and the time it took to announce an interim DoR made me worry we were making panicked, reactionary, unplanned decisions to appease our fans.

However, hats off to the Chief Exec and all those involved for finding Gaffney as interim and then Boyd as permanent. Two quality appointments.

Ultimately Chief Execs are paid to make tough calls and navigate their organisations through change successfully. Darbon inherited a challenging situation, not of his making and many a Chief Exec would have mishandled such a challenging situation IMHO. Ultimately Chief Execs live and die on results. On the evidence so far, we've got a good Chief Exec. I'm both impressed and relieved in equal measure.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 01:07
Might boost season ticket renewals

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 07:11
Quote:
tedge
Might boost season ticket renewals

I think it definitely will Tedge, a wave of optimism all round. Even if results may be slow to turn around you would expect a fresh and exciting brand of rugby. We will see.

I really thought we would have to wait until the end of season and be fairly underwhelmed by the appointment. Wrong on both counts. Now for some positive supporting staff and player appointments too.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 07:40
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
What I like is that the club kept the developments tight. No hints to mates, any of that crap. Much more professional.

+1 to this

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 07:59
I'm confused. Reading the board a few weeks ago, I thought the board were useless, complacent and should all be sacked. Now they're geniuses...

Christoff
30 January, 2018 08:26
Quote:
shendy
I'm confused. Reading the board a few weeks ago, I thought the board were useless, complacent and should all be sacked. Now they're geniuses...

Don't be. They acted, decisively. In the end. Arguably, it was a fair bit later than my personal opinion. There it is. They've acted now and I'm very pleased with the result. Credit where credit is due.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:04
I get the feeling that if the new guys had been in place a year sooner changes would have come faster. Starting a new roll you have to get to know what is and is not working before you can make changes. It was a risk to change mid season but TBH the bigger risk would have been taking no action.

So far the new Regime seems very good. As said a number of times, just telling us about injuries was a small but significant change in Saints way of operating.

As for the interim and permanent solutions. Both very good and both made fairly quick.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:07
In effect a lot of the board have moved on.
New ceo and chairman, plus two new non execs, thats big changes.
Still far too many directors for such a small company in my opinion but thats the way they want it.
I hope we have the budget to enable Chris B to be competitive, but money isn't everything in this world.

HungryLikeTheWolf
30 January, 2018 09:09
Quote:
shendy

as others have suggested, there has been change in the key decision making roles - there seems to be clear thought, a vision and decisive action

(no more 5 year contracts)

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:09
If one can be critical of those paid to be in charge of a company/business(and many Saints have been oh yes me included) then equally praise for good work and correct action and the success in securing this top world rugby talent then it's BRAVO board! from me and well played Mr Darbon. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2018 10:42 by Bob Stainsby.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:54
Quote:
Bob Stainsby
If one can be critical of those paid to be in charge of a company/business(and many Saints have been oh yes me included) then equally praise for good work and correct action and the success in securing this top world rugby talent the BRAVO board! from me and well played Mr Darbon. Thank you.

+ 1

It is not until you see actions that are clearly designed to endorse the statements made that the fog/ platitudes of the previous few years starts to clear

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 12:59
BTW I worded my post badly - should be "I thought the board were supposed to be useless", based on the contributions on here :-)

Stevie Myler's right boot
30 January, 2018 13:30
I think a lot of people have been overly harsh with the Board. As an example Mark Darbon only took up the reigns in July and in my view gave Jim every opportunity to turn the previous seasons around (13 games) and when it became obvious that he couldn't was decisive and took affirmative action. The recruitment of CB has been done in a calm, professional and efficient manner (with no leaks) and looks to bode well for the future

Christoff
30 January, 2018 14:33
Quote:
shendy
BTW I worded my post badly - should be "I thought the board were supposed to be useless", based on the contributions on here :-)

Fair enough. Doesn't change my particular response. The board dragged their heels for a long, long time. Finally they acted and how. Credit where credit is due............in the end.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 15:11
I think the point is we are talking about 2 different boards, ie the chair and ceo.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 16:32
+1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net