rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Casual Saint
What to expect next season ?
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:01
It looks like the ship is being turned around and calmer waters lay ahead. I am aware however that our new DOR will not be taking over until August, so I guess his influence in preseason training and planning will be limited. I am therefore not expecting any sort of miracle change come next season but with the Gaffer's steady influence until then, what can expect to see change ?

Once a scrum half .... always a scrum half

MESSAGES->author
Re: What to expect next season ?
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:27
This sums it nicely

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:34
Quote:
Casual Saint
It looks like the ship is being turned around and calmer waters lay ahead. I am aware however that our new DOR will not be taking over until August, so I guess his influence in preseason training and planning will be limited. I am therefore not expecting any sort of miracle change come next season but with the Gaffer's steady influence until then, what can expect to see change ?

In the nicest possible way Casual I think you are wrong. From the comments to date I would expect him to have a full input into what he expects pre season to look like with a view to preparing the squad for the style of play he wants the saints to play. For instance itís no good him wanting a rapid all court running game and the current coaching staff to labour on bulking up pre season. My friends in Wellington have suggested a lot less kicking will be the order of the day and playing the game at pace.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:50
onwards and upwards is definitely the order of the day.
Top quality coach, and I don't expect any prisoners too be taken.
Fitness will be greatly improved.
Skills will be worked on.
A better game plan will be implemented.

I expect there too be a improvement straight away, no doubt of that.
But let's remember we no way near have the playing personnel of the Hurricanes.
Recruitment will be key.
And the Prem is a different league and is most definitely a Marathon not a sprint.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:55
If its anything like Ackermann has done for Gloucester, I will be (very, very) happy. I've always said change doesn't happen over night but seeing the difference that Gaffer has made I'm feeling somewhat optimistic.

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:44
Quote:
Walks11
In the nicest possible way Casual I think you are wrong. From the comments to date I would expect him to have a full input into what he expects pre season to look like with a view to preparing the squad for the style of play he wants the saints to play. For instance itís no good him wanting a rapid all court running game and the current coaching staff to labour on bulking up pre season. My friends in Wellington have suggested a lot less kicking will be the order of the day and playing the game at pace.

Happy to be proved wrong - It's what the forum should be about !
I have not listened / read all the comments and I am certainly no expert ..

I'm interested in how much influence he can have over the next 6 months - will there be opportunities for him to come over to see / meet the players in action or will it be all done remotely ? With regard to the game plan - does he have a preferred game plan and then built a team around it or develop a game plan to suit the players the club has or can recruit before next season. Take Dan Bigger - excellent player but not one to base a 'Cains running game around.

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:58
I'm with Casual on this. Let's not forget that Chris has another team to run until the start of August, and doesn't begin his contract with us until then. He's made some strong remarks to the NZ press about wanting to go out on a high with the 'Canes.

I'd expect his role with us to be minimal until then. The Gaffer will have a huge role to play in the meantime.

Waggydog
Waggydog (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:58
Casual, there is a really good interview with Mark Darbon somewhere (I think it was on Facebook, sorry can't link) where he said that CB would be having quite a bit of input over the next few months.

He also did mention that they're hoping to get him over here as and when opportunities during the Super Rugby season allow.

It all sounds very positive.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 12:01
I would hope that we play to the players strengths and not try and make players play a way they are not comfortable with. No miracles expected, improve results at home, stop leaking points and we need to be seen as a serious top 6 verging on top 4 side not 7th, 8th or 9th. I do hope we are actually not in the champions cup next season to give him a proper chance to have a look at the whole squad and set up. If we can have a good run in the second tier competition next year and the league, our ranking might be improved for a hopeful return the following season.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:00
Next season, top 4 - nailed on ;-)

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:13
The key question is how the necessary changes in playing staff will be handled. I am sure CB will want to bring a couple of players with knowledge of his system but they have to be the right ones.

I think we have the most important building blocks in place for a fast game, namely two quick scrummies. In one case, lightning quick. And a third who isnt bad!

I am sure that CB will want to know exactly what the plan is for preseason and will bin it if not satisfied.

What I want to know is, as DOR, how hands on will he be as latterly Jim handled only recruitment wwe are given to understand. CB has to run the playing side as otherwise why have him.

Stevie Myler's right boot
30 January, 2018 13:21
I personally expect that Gaffers contract will be extended until September and they will be in regular contact so that foundations can be put in place so he hits the ground running. I'm sure there will be a significant amount of player data and videos being made available to him

Shiraz_Saint
Shiraz_Saint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:51
Certainly hoping Gaffney will stay to commence pre-season until KB arrives !

The last thing we need is Dickens and the others making decisions.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 14:07
How key is the retention or otherwise of DW ?

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 14:37
Quote:
tedge
How key is the retention or otherwise of DW ?

Very key in an "otherwise" capacity for me. If he is to be retained let's hope the new boss will handle things differently with him than the old one.

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 15:14
I do like an optimist, honestly!
We lost by 62 points to Sarries, we have serious coaching, fitness, conditioning and morale problems. The elephant is still around.
We really can't wait until August for a scrum coach, a defence coach, fitness, analysis......
Nothing has changed yet.
We have the players.
COYS

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 16:37
Quote:
shendy
Next season, top 4 - nailed on ;-)

Exactly Shendy.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 16:48
Its easy to forget that with Skype, Gaffer and CB can discuss Saints on a daily basis if they want to.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 08:02
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
I do like an optimist, honestly!
We lost by 62 points to Sarries, we have serious coaching, fitness, conditioning and morale problems. The elephant is still around.
We really can't wait until August for a scrum coach, a defence coach, fitness, analysis......
Nothing has changed yet.
We have the players.
COYS

I donít think we have fitness and conditioning issues.

We have coaching and morale issues Iíll grant you but these cannot be changed overnight. A few wins normally does the moralometer the world of good though

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:17
Chris Boyd is without adoubt, a major signing but i would expect us to be a table topping side overnight.

Its going to take him time to learn the league, the tactics, the style and the opposing sides. Given time i think he could do wonders with us.

I think we should remember that whilst he won Super Rugby in 2016, look at the squad that he had...
Dane Coles
Vaea Fifita
Ngani Laumape
Ardie Sarvea
Brad Shields
Jeffery To'omaga-Allen
Victor Vito
Vince Aso
Beauden Barrett
Cory Jane
Nehe Milner-Skudder
TJ Perenara
Julian Savea
Jason Woodwood

All of these players were either full All Black or either pretty damn close to it. With players like that, you should be able to win a trophy. Similarly, look at the Baby Blacks that he coached... not a bad bunch to play with.

I'm still confident that he'll turn us around, but he needs to either bring in a number of players that can play a Hurricanes style of game or adapt a style that will work with the current squad.

All i'm saying is, lets wait and see and not expect to be thumping Sarries and Exeter everytime we meet.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:50
Which begs the question how many of those type of players he can entice over with him? I'm not thinking the 'names' from the above but the Baby Blacks who are currently third or fourth in line for the main squad.....

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 15:08
Managing the squad he inherits will be a far greater test of his coaching skills

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net