rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

NobbyClarke
Jamie George
NobbyClarke (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:52
Telegraph rugby headline this morning..Jamie George: 'Eddie will have to start me if I become world’s best hooker'

While many would agree that he is worthy of a starting position, and DH certainly needs a string of stellar performances to see him off, how will EJ view the headline?

Is he trying to paint Eddie into a corner?
Will Eddie like being painted into a corner?

What do m'learned friends on this board reckon?

Bob Fossil
Re: Jamie George
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:57
He's the best hooker in the world. The press keep saying so.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:37
Hes not even the best Hooker at his club.

He is very good though. I would expect Eddie to tell him to shut up and prove it.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:40
I suspect unless Jamie is completely disillusional the anti Dillon element of the press have twisted his thoughts to suit their own agenda

Hakuna Tuala
Hakuna Tuala (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:41
He can keep his wonky darts in Barnet. Not a patch on our Dylan!

Bob Fossil
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 12:00
It's just hookers being hookers guys.

Stevie Myler's right boot
30 January, 2018 13:15
Most likely just press talk but from my watching of his performances he's a better finisher than starter - which is exactly how Eddie plays him - his skillsets are far more effective coming on when teams are starting to tire rather than from the outset.

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:25
IMO a hookers principal requirements are: 1 To scrummage well, 2 To throw well, 3 To play well round the park. Dylan wins on 1&2, Jamie on 3, but Dylan as Captain/Leader has the advantage. Jones however will not be influenced by Press reports, only by what he sees.

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 13:26
He's quite right - IF he becomes the world's best hooker EJ will have to start him. I like the ambition but he needs to become the best England qualified hooker first.
I suspect that he's been misquoted or his comments taken out of context too.
That sort of competition and comment should be good for Dylan too. I think that Dylan likes a challenge!

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 14:01
I can’t see Eddie changing his captain and dropping Dylan so close to a World Cup, unless forced to.

I do wonder if after the next World Cup, Jamie George might get leap frogged by Cowan-Dickie who has upped his game and his darts have improved dramatically?

England lucky to have 3 top international level hookers

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 15:40
Yeah, I mean ultimately, all this is just a nice problem to have.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 17:31
Both some way off being the best in the world imo. Dane Coles has that accolade by some distance

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 19:07
Quote:
Neil-H
I can’t see Eddie changing his captain and dropping Dylan so close to a World Cup, unless forced to.
I do wonder if after the next World Cup, Jamie George might get leap frogged by Cowan-Dickie who has upped his game and his darts have improved dramatically?

England lucky to have 3 top international level hookers

Like others have said we are blessed to have 3 top draw hookers.

I'm with u Neil when it comes to Cowan-Dickie. When I saw Cowan-Dickie in the Under 20 World Cup I figured he'd be first choice England hooker one day. Everything I have seen since has confirmed that even though Jamie was deservedly the Lions test hooker. I figure Luke will overtake Jamie when Dylan retires though maybe not immediately.

The only first choice England positions/players that worry me are flankers and Mike Brown's passing game. Though it would be nice to have more power options in our back line.

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 19:45
Quote:
SaintMaul
...and Mike Brown's passing game.

Have you seen it?

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 21:11
Quote:
SaintsDuncan
Quote:
SaintMaul

Have you seen it?

No. But that's a game of hide and seek, I'd like to win!

(Sm13)

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:32
Quote:
SaintMaul
Quote:
SaintsDuncan
Quote:
SaintMaul

Have you seen it?

No. But that's a game of hide and seek, I'd like to win!

(Sm13)

In fairness to Mr Brown, he did make a couple of very nice passes in the Autumn Internationals. His pass rate is now somewhere around 1 per thousand yards. Improving!

But as with a dummy, can you afford to assume he won't pass now?

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 16:45
Having just watched England v Italy, I think Jamie George should be more worried about dropping to 3rd than ascending to first choice.

Lucky not to concede a turnover at one of the scrums as he doesn't hook well, scrappy lineout throwing wasting an attacking chance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net