rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

The Buck
Gaffney is Boss
The Buck (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:02
It appears Mr Gatland canít dictate playing time for George which is good to see

I do like that he wants to blood the younger players - previous Head Coach always went back to the same players.

Think itís crucial the likes of Collins, Stephenson, Ludlam, Ribbans play. If we donít use hem we will lose them

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Longers
Re: Gaffney is Boss
Longers (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:08
Quote:
The Buck
It appears Mr Gatland canít dictate playing time for George which is good to see
I do like that he wants to blood the younger players - previous Head Coach always went back to the same players.

Think itís crucial the likes of Collins, Stephenson, Ludlam, Ribbans play. If we donít use hem we will lose them

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It was both interesting and educational listening to him last night on the podcast.

In the nicest possible way, and without finger pointing, he highlighted a number of issues with the current squad and how he was having to persuade them to re-learn some things, badly learned to begin with and to which they may revert under pressure.

He pulled up both Stephenson and Grayson on these, but also highlighted some of their strengths.

Good bloke who I think weilds a powerful axe if he has to.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:37
Quote:
The Gaffer he says
"We've got to fast track these boys if they're good enough, we can't leave them there if they're 19 or 20 years of age, we've got to bring them through."

Like him more each interview.

mayhem
mayhem (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 11:39
Nice to see the Beeb has got it's finger on the pulse as usual, apparently we won 24-20 at Saracens last week.
Good result!

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 12:01
Quote:
Bob Stainsby
Quote:
The Gaffer he says
"We've got to fast track these boys if they're good enough, we can't leave them there if they're 19 or 20 years of age, we've got to bring them through."

And then look at the team he picks for tomorrow???

Obviously trying to ensure a win and restart the morale building

Stevie Myler's right boot
01 February, 2018 12:45
He's like an Australian Yoda
Very impressive interview on Saints show last night very honest - well worth a listen

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 13:35
I thought Yoda was Australian? Explains the bad syntax....

I'm pretty sure with all players communication is key, if they aren't getting game time then they need to know why to stay motivated and improve.

The Buck
The Buck (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:37
Quote:
Stevie Myler's right boot
He's like an Australian Yoda
Very impressive interview on Saints show last night very honest - well worth a listen

Where is this podcast / interview. Be interested to listen to the weekly update

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 14:45
The Saints show on Radio Northampton should be on the iplayer for the next month

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 21:35
That podcast interview is really excellent. The depth of knowledge and confidence comes through, he is so willing to express his views in a quiet confident way.
Why on earth was Jim so secretive.
Thoroughly recommend it on BBC i player as mentioned above.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 02:05
Not sure why the fuss over North, it would not be unusual for a discussion to take place as to whether North would be given game time if Wales released him. It would be un-Gatland like for him to specify the amount of game time, he didn't have to release him. It would not be wrong for him to ask for it to be worthwhile, not a quick 10 minutes off the bench at the end of the game.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:22
There wasnt any fuss. gaffney states that North has to be able to play 80 mins in order to get picked. Seems reasonable to me.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:35
Quote:
Neil-H
Quote:
Bob Stainsby
Quote:
The Gaffer he says

And then look at the team he picks for tomorrow???

Obviously trying to ensure a win and restart the morale building

Great point, It's all well and good saying it but will he back it up? I mean, he's only got half a season left!

I couldn't agree more that the likes of Collins/Ludlam/Stephenson/Grayson/Mitchell/Nutley should be fast tracked, I mean half of those 'young guys' aren't really young guys any more but it still feels like they are perceived that way; Not really trusted, never given more than a few sporadic minutes. (An example; Teimana was in this bracket for so many years before he was given a proper chance and you have to wonder if he might still be there if Samu hadn't left or if things had played out slightly differently?) This imo is one of the big hurdles we face if we are going to properly turn a corner.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:54
Given the situation we are in who would you not be playing tonight?

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:58
Nutley/Collins (probably North on bench and give Foden the week off) Bench Grayson and Mitchell (again give Groom he week off) Myler is a tricky one as he needs game time. I know we want to win tonight to get the semi final but we need to start trusting these guys, which is what Gaffney said.

I'll admit to not having listened to that interview so just going of the quote, I'm not really intending to knock Gaffney, just agreeing with Neil and expressing my take on an issue at our club which I believe is a key to us moving forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net