rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Defence
Stockers (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 21:40
Pretty darn good tonight. That defensive set at 35 minutes was awesome.

GOD
Re: Defence
Saintsby (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 22:39
+1 thumbs down

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:01
It was very good. To temper slightly, quins didn't offer a great deal. But still, we defended with heart and some of the stuff on our five metre was great to see

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:28
Good line speed all evening.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 07:50
Most pleased with the mentality.

Once we scored we got our heads straight on too the next job which is securing the kick off.
Working the angle for the kick and then a good exit.
And then we switched straight on when it was time to defend or kick chase.

So often this season we have scored a try and then conceded a soft soft try straight away.

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 08:22
Quote:
Nath-coys
Once we scored we got our heads straight on too the next job which is securing the kick off.

So often this season we have scored a try and then conceded a soft soft try straight away.

I was most impressed with the mentality too. I don't know if anything has been said to the players, but whenever we conceded a penalty there was no arguing or negative body language, we just simply raced back 10 metres ready to defend.

And when Gibson's 'try' was disallowed by the TMO, we simply accepted the decision and ran back for the scrum, even though the team were back in our own half ready for the kick off.

I looks to me like it has been a message from the coaches and it is a great mentality to have. You're not going to change the refs decision so let's get back in the defensive line as quickly as possible and keep the body language positive.

Line speed was awesome too.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Saint Jericho
Quote:
Nath-coys

I was most impressed with the mentality too. I don't know if anything has been said to the players, but whenever we conceded a penalty there was no arguing or negative body language, we just simply raced back 10 metres ready to defend.

And when Gibson's 'try' was disallowed by the TMO, we simply accepted the decision and ran back for the scrum, even though the team were back in our own half ready for the kick off.

I looks to me like it has been a message from the coaches and it is a great mentality to have. You're not going to change the refs decision so let's get back in the defensive line as quickly as possible and keep the body language positive.

Line speed was awesome too.

Agree with the above. One exception was when we seemed to get marched 10 for chat.

banburyst
banburyst (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 10:31
Not sure but I thought we got marched back for kicking the ball away, maybe someone with a reflink can confirm?

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:19
Yes it was nut i think pur man was pushed and the ball flew backwards from him.

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:30
Quote:
banburyst
Not sure but I thought we got marched back for kicking the ball away, maybe someone with a reflink can confirm?
not a great nightcfor reflink. The refs. visual signals were sadly lacking , and he was not very verbally communicative either , so reflink was not that useful. Normally get great feedback on reflink and would really miss it if it wasn’t there. IMHO

MESSAGES->author
BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 12:52
JP seemed to be doing most of the reffing!(Sm151)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net