rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

pksaint
Mikey Haywood?
pksaint (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:01
Surely Mikey Haywood must be on Eddie's radar? The performances he's been putting in over the last couple of seasons. His all round ability must get him noticed. Or, has he been called up to the England camp at some time and I've missed it?

St.Sinner
Re: Mikey Haywood?
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:15
I think heís one of those few players who despite great club performances never gets a look in international wise. Thereís been a few across many clubs over the years, but itís better for us because heís always available to play & always plays well. Dylan is slated & Jamie George is overrated , we have the perfect in between man & weíre lucky heís a Saintsman!

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:55
Dan Richmond .....Just saying

steve battison
batty (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 22:42
Christian Day

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 00:00
Andy Johnson for those with a very long nemory

harryw
harryw (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 05:22
Andy got to sit on the bench a few times, no replacements in those far off days

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 07:17
Quote:
tedge
Andy Johnson for those with a very long nemory

(Sm152)

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 08:29
Some players are unlucky they play in an era with top notch competition in their position. Dylan, George, Cowan-Dickie. Then there is Tommy Taylor.

Jones, as an ex-hooker himself, understands the position. The priorities in the role are bulk, power and technique at the scrum and pack and accuracy under extreme pressure for throwing at the lineout. Hence why Test Lion Youngs doesn't get a look in. So whilst I feel for Mikey. It's a bit like Britz for South Africa. Incredible in the loose but hookers being exceptional in the loose isn't priority. It's a bonus.

I'd also add that I thought the commentators, and Goode in particular, came with the pre-conceived agenda of questioning Dylan's England selection. He started bigging Mickey up very early in the game and saying a lot of Saints fans believe Haywood should start over Dylan. For example, around half an hour in, he was singing Mikey's praises after a side step that made about 3 metres even though Mickey got isolated and conceded a penalty.

Mickey had a good game but personally I took what the commentators were saying with a pinch of salt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 09:09 by SaintMaul.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 08:55
Quote:
SaintMaul
Some players are unlucky they play in an era with top notch competition in their position. Dylan, George, Cowan-Dickie. Then there is Tommy Taylor.
Jones, as an ex-hooker himself, understands the position. The priorities in the role are bulk, power and technique at the scrum and pack and accuracy under extreme pressure for throwing at the lineout. Hence why Test Lion Youngs doesn't get a look in. So whilst I feel for Mikey. It's a bit like Britz for South Africa. Incredible in the loose but hookers being exceptional in the loose isn't priority. It's a bonus.

Agree with this st maul. Mikey needs a hard edge (not illegal, hard and some players don't get that). The group I was with agreed Mikey the other night looked good and showed some really good hands in the 10 and 12 channels. But is this where you want your hooker?

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 09:16
I love Mikey, great club man, good player but unfortunately just not big enough for the international scene. Tom Dunn at Bath has made massive strides, deserves his shot too. Unfortunately, Sarries love to remind everyone in the media that GEORGE WHATEVER HE'S CALLED IS THE GREATEST HOOKER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME!!!
Some of you with longer memories will recall when Leinster and Ireland did this with Cian Healey...

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 10:09
Going on since last year, I have said to friends, that I can see Cowan-Dickie leap frogging George after the World Cup.

You would assume Dylan stays captain and first choice through to the World Cup, I just canít see them changing captains so close to the World Cup unless the wheels suddenly fall off?? And think Jones is to good a coach and to many good players to see that happen.

I think after that, Dylan will step down and Cowan-Dicke will be number one, he just seems to have matured this last year

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 10:22
Sorry tedge, this must be the first time Iíve disagreed with you (Sm14), Andy was very quick hooking the ball at the put in, but was no existence in the loose. Roger Horwood for me, which gives you a clue to which team I played with.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 11:13
I'll just throw this one out there - what's Mikey got that Thacker doesn't have at Tigers?

Every time Thacker has played against us for Tigers he was one of their stand-out players. He's good enough in the loose and over the ball to come on 7 as well... but he couldn't get picked over Youngs & is leaving them to seek a starting slot at Bristol, replaced by a lump of an Aussie who might well get picked over Youngs.

The big difference is that Youngs is off the radar at international level so always available, we should be grateful we have Dylan toddling off for England duties regularly as it allows us to retain 2 very good players in the same position as plenty of game time for each. Losing a load of players to the International window is a good thing for a club in terms of retaining top class 2nd choice players, it's certainly not hurt Sarries success in recent years.

A hooker who cannot maintain close to 110kg isn't going to be on the radar for side like England who prioritise scrumaging power & Haywood struggles to stay close to 100kg. The bonus of back row like abilities or experience in a hooker (like our world cup winner Steve Thompson who played number 8 until he was at Saints and could carry pretty well) doesn't outweigh the need for a physique similar to a lighter weight prop at the top level.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 13:37
Dane Coles doesnít do bad in the wider channels. They need to do the bread and butter stuff, scrum, lineout, tackle and then offer something else. Mikey is unfortunately 2nd choice so perhaps this alone is the reason he doesnít get mentioned in England discussions. No shame in being a standout clubman though

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 14:58
I take everything Foodie says with a pinch of salt....his dislike of anything green, black and gold would make him a worthy successor to Stuart Barnes.....!

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 15:35
Mikey is the long term successor to Dyls when he hangs up his boots. He has to patient and so do we as he is being managed exactly as A Waller was, drip fed a lot of experience so he's ready to step up when needed. He's still young and will be first choice at saints during his prime and I wouldn't be surprised if England looked at him then.

MESSAGES->author
04 February, 2018 17:50
Quote:
I'll just throw this one out there - what's Mikey got that Thacker doesn't have at Tigers?
Mikey can throw for a starters.

Remember kids, Dylan is soooooo baaaaaad he's got 90 caps for England.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 18:02
Mikey is good and a great clubman, we are very lucky to have him. I donít however think he has the quality to be more than that. Dylan stepped up his game for England today and I thought he played well. The intensity fell off I thought when he was subbed.

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 18:44
Iím sure that Mikey is on the EJ radar as are other players that aspire to international honours who perform well for their clubs but, based on the recent record , you canít argue that Dylan isnít worth his England place as Captain and starting hooker and Jamie George also deserves the finishing berth. EJ doesnít always pick the best player in any particular spot on club form but has a knack of picking very good teams where the players complement each other - Maro and Courts being a good example. Hopefully Mikeyís chance will come but as others have pointed out his lack of bulk may hamper international selection. We are very lucky to have him.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 18:58
It is so difficult to find fault in any player that goes out on behalf of the club and supporters and gives 100% on the field - you almost feel if you are being disloyal
Dylan will always top Mikey because he is better at the basics required by a hooker together with the extra muscle and power - mikey gets the headlines because he is more intuitive in the loose
As is Gibson but when playing 7 the other players have to manage the breakdown because he isnít doing the basics required of a 7 .
When we attack we need a back row clearing out quickly to give fast ball
When we defend we need a pain in the backside slowing ball down and jackeling
Our last two turnovers have been completed by Daisy and Api
Letís get the basics solid then look for the Ďhighlights Ď show

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 20:22
Quote:
Neil-H
Going on since last year, I have said to friends, that I can see Cowan-Dickie leap frogging George after the World Cup.
You would assume Dylan stays captain and first choice through to the World Cup, I just canít see them changing captains so close to the World Cup unless the wheels suddenly fall off?? And think Jones is to good a coach and to many good players to see that happen.

I think after that, Dylan will step down and Cowan-Dicke will be number one, he just seems to have matured this last year

Cowan Dicke is very good in the loose, the last game I watched him play in Europe he did not throw straight twice, and some of his other throws were poor.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 21:51
Quote:
Robby Richmond
Quote:

Sometimes. He came on at a recent game and having had a decent lineout to that point, Saints lost 3 lineouts in a row. He is better at it than Thacker, but not up to Dylan's standard yet IMO

MESSAGES->author
04 February, 2018 22:04
Few are up to dyls standard, worked hard to get there too

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 05:58
For all the fancy dan stuff you have got to be 100% on the the bread and butter stuff

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 08:44
Quote:
SaintsAsh
Quote:
Neil-H

Cowan Dicke is very good in the loose, the last game I watched him play in Europe he did not throw straight twice, and some of his other throws were poor.

then how going into the last round of European Cup games did he have the highest percentage line out? Look at exeters stats in Premiership?

Like Dylan when he started, he had flakey games, just think he has matured lots as Dylan did.

And spot on Robby, as I said exactly the same over the weekend, he is Englands most capped hooker, must be crap, oh and add Englands highest percentage winning captain, no idea why he in the team!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 18:49
Stats do not show the quality of the ball from the line-out or the oppositions ability to disrupt. The game I refer to was against Glasgow Warriors and his throwing a big contributor to their loss.

Dylan will very rarely if never lose a game with poor throwing.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:24
Quote:
SaintsAsh
Stats do not show the quality of the ball from the line-out or the oppositions ability to disrupt. The game I refer to was against Glasgow Warriors and his throwing a big contributor to their loss.
Dylan will very rarely if never lose a game with poor throwing.

But at same age as LCD is now, he use to... not saying LCD is better than Dylan, just saying he making Hughes strides, I actually think he is becoming the player that people kept banging on about he would be n think he will leap frog George smiling smiley

Sadsaint
Re: Mikey Haywood?r
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:20
Mikey has looked our best hooker for some time. He has a variety of skills beyond the expected range for a forward and is often a player who stands out from the rest. Itís disappointed me that Dylan seems to have been first choice whenever heís been available for us. The powers that be have treated Dylan remarkably well considering his disciplinary absences, while Mikey has got on with his job. Eddie Jones is fixated on Dylanís captaincy being vital for Englandís success. So be it but I donít believe Saints should see Dylan as skipper or first choice number 2!

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:00
Quote:
Robby Richmond

We lost 2 in a row on his throw again tonight... Daisy is our best lineout controller and he was on, so no excuses.

Be interested to see his stats this year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net