jonniejon (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:05
Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games then sign our petition here:

[www.change.org]

MESSAGES->author
Re: Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:38
Sorry Jon, if you think they'd even entertain listening to supporters on this issue you're off your rocker.
The clubs/regions/franchises have sold themselves to the tele companies and that is very much that.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:02
We have discussed this topic many times before and no question, there is not a level playing field as Sarries and Chiefs are not 'allowed' to play at home on a friday whilst Quins and Tigers seem to have a great deal of 'influence'. No people power nor indeed club power until such time as BT and SKY get together and reduce their payments to PRL/RFU due to the demands of ever more greedy wendyball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 14:05 by Mobbs.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 14:19
Some of us who play on a sat and work shifts prefer different kick off times/days

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:19
I love a Friday night game, something special about the atmosphere. That said its an absolute pig to get to from work on time.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:35
Money talks SHOUTS! end of.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:42
We are run for the owners on a profit-basis (or rather not loss).

As such, the club will have to squeeze revenue from all avenues. Until that changes, tough titties.

SaintGinge
SaintGinge (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:53
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
tough titties.
+1 thumbs down

Maverick1
Phil. (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:26
Quote:
SaintGinge
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
tough titties.
+1 thumbs down

I prefer soft, warm ones mesalf - but that's probably just me... (Sm14)

[

"It's not the despair, Saints, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 16:39
Round ones square ones some as big as your hat

Is there a PC correct rugby songs book I can get my hands on :-)

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:04
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
We are run for the owners on a profit-basis (or rather not loss).

As such, the club will have to squeeze revenue from all avenues. Until that changes, tough titties.

Many of us are still part (very small part) owners. We are of course all living on yachts on the profits we have made.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:48
It is a fact that the average age of a STH at the Gardens is over fifty and as such friday evenings in the depths of winter can be a bit of a turn off and whilst they still count as attendess when they are watching at home, the empty seats tell their own tale. Not just Saints either, it will be interesting to see the stats at the end of the season.

ramseysaint
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 18:08
As an over 50 STH I certainly don't find Friday evenings a turn off what difference does age or day of the week make, the weather can be just as cold and miserable on a Saturday afternoon. Personally I would rather they were all played on a Friday night as it would make things much easier for me to attend, as it is I have to do a lot of swapping duties around to get to a Saturday match.

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 19:11
Quote:
Phil.
Quote:
SaintGinge
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
tough titties.
+1 thumbs down

I prefer soft, warm ones mesalf - but that's probably just me... (Sm14)

Never saw one that wasn't worth a second look winking smiley

saint1969
saint1969 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 19:17
Personally we just love Friday night games ! so do the people who sit near us...great way to start the weekend.

And no we do not live in Northampton and yes it is a bit of a rush to get there in time but I see it as all part of the fun.

More Friday night games please!

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 19:59
Fair Comments on both sides but whether you love them, hate them or remain loftily indifferent, your opinion will count for nothing whilst BT and SKY rule the rugby airwaves !

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:31
I can see how Friday night games can work for some people especially those that live within 10 miles of the ground and work Monday-Friday 9-5. A good way to start the weekend leaving Saturday and Sunday free. I am not included in that crowd so miss all Friday nighters now. There are those that work weekends so prefer a Friday night. You canít please everyone, money counts more, people demand to see the best players. What can you do? You canít please everyone.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 21:48
Anyone like to predict when the next Friday night thread will come up? And no....that's not a challenge so no putting the date in your diary ;-)

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 00:15
Appreciate and understand why it's done but personally I prefer watching in daylight,preferably in sunshine and 15 degrees - I know, let's play in the summer

Bernie's Dad
Bernie's Dad (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 01:36
With a young family, getting to a Saturday/Sunday game can be tricky. I enjoy the atmosphere under Friday night floodlights too at the end of a working week (with a beer in hand)! To me itís a win-win!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 02:38
Obviously the tele money counts but in Wales when the regions were formed it was agreed that regional games would not clash with Welsh Premiership Club games usually on Saturday 2:30. Hence a game on 2W on a Friday night is always organised.

MESSAGES->author
StBleach (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 05:53
The poll is not about Friday games if you read it, it's about how some teams manage to avoid them. The argument raised us that clubs should be forced to usibg alternstive grounds if restrictions exist.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 06:32
Quote:
Mobbs
We have discussed this topic many times before and no question, there is not a level playing field as Sarries and Chiefs are not 'allowed' to play at home on a friday whilst Quins and Tigers seem to have a great deal of 'influence'. No people power nor indeed club power until such time as BT and SKY get together and reduce their payments to PRL/RFU due to the demands of ever more greedy wendyball.

Is there any empirical data on the distribution of Friday night games? Only I know many Tigers fans feel they get short shrift too so just wondering if this is a case of the grass looking greener.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 07:36
Higgy

I have had a look at this in the past and Leicester get an easy ride with friday nights compared to some clubs.
Saints have not been as bad/good this time around as in the last couple of years. Glaws, Wuss and Bath appear to be the current friday favourites. If I get a moment I will have a look at the last couple of seasons.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 08:00
The numbers will be interesting with a home/away split - to show how often teams get dragged into a Friday night game as visitors.
If some sides don't have home Friday games for whatever reason, they could always be manoeuvred into several away games to make up for it...

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:25
Would a marketplace work?

Something like.... each club would be allocated games evenly across the available time slots and would then need to trade with other clubs for desirable slots or slots they cannot fulfil. So, for instance, if Sarries and Chiefs are prohibited from playing on Friday evenings they would need to find another club to trade those slots with. Similarly if Sale prefer Friday-evening fixtures then they'd need to trade with someone (Chiefs and Sarries?) for those.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

oldtoastersaint
oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:54
Shouldn't Sarries and Chiefs be made either to give up home advantage to the opposition or play a fair allocation of Friday night fixtures at a neutral ground?

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:07
Canít see that that would ever get through, OTS.

Iíd certainly be interested to see the numbers though. Thanks in advance, Mobbs, if you do get round to that.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:24
Forcing clubs to nominate alternative venues and play at them would be a ludicrous suggestion IMO and would cause more problems than it solves.

It would be interesting to the results if someone did a poll/survey in how far people travel for games. Gloucester and Bath are relatively large places with a large catchment area. There might be a few clubs around (Gloucester Bath Bristol Worcester) but are relatively well served with good links from the surrounding areas such as Cheltenham, Stroud, Cirencester, Swindon. From experience, the train stations in particular provide good access and are close to the grounds making Friday nighters a bit more accessible to some.

Northampton's catchment area I would suggest is much smaller with only Milton Keynes a realistic big hub and even then, the club has not made the most of that. Even when they have tried, there was quite a bit of vocal disagreement from fans. In an around Northampton there is Corby, Kettering, Market Harborough but they are not the size of areas suggested above. Further out, you can go to Peterborough but a bus is a good 2 hours and a train is 2hr 30 with a change. Coventry is an option but again train links are poor and they now have Wasps.

What I am trying to say is that Northampton is seemingly quite susceptible to change of kick off times and days andwe cannot possibly rely on other areas for support other clubs can. I imagine that the club has had discussions weighing up the possibility of Friday night games for the revenue from BT vs fewer fans and Saturday kick offs with more fans but maybe less revenue from BT. Times are changing and are moving on.

SK 88
SK 88 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:41
Quote:
andysaint

It would be interesting to the results if someone did a poll/survey in how far people travel for games. Gloucester and Bath are relatively large places with a large catchment area. There might be a few clubs around (Gloucester Bath Bristol Worcester) but are relatively well served with good links from the surrounding areas such as Cheltenham, Stroud, Cirencester, Swindon. From experience, the train stations in particular provide good access and are close to the grounds making Friday nighters a bit more accessible to some.

Northampton's catchment area I would suggest is much smaller with only Milton Keynes a realistic big hub and even then, the club has not made the most of that. Even when they have tried, there was quite a bit of vocal disagreement from fans. In an around Northampton there is Corby, Kettering, Market Harborough but they are not the size of areas suggested above. Further out, you can go to Peterborough but a bus is a good 2 hours and a train is 2hr 30 with a change. Coventry is an option but again train links are poor and they now have Wasps.

What I am trying to say is that Northampton is seemingly quite susceptible to change of kick off times and days andwe cannot possibly rely on other areas for support other clubs can. I imagine that the club has had discussions weighing up the possibility of Friday night games for the revenue from BT vs fewer fans and Saturday kick offs with more fans but maybe less revenue from BT. Times are changing and are moving on.

Northampton its self is twice the size (c.250k) of Gloucester (128k) and Wellingborough is another c.50,000 people roughly 10 minutes away. Daventry is 70k and Rushden 30k. Those are all pretty close, certainly closer than Harborough or Corby.

Stroud & Cirencester are less than 20k each. Bath is around 90k.

MESSAGES->author
Robby Richmond (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 15:49
I cannot believe there are so many posts discussing something that's as likely to happen as platting fog.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:04
It's called "putting the world to right" and it happens frequently so there is nothing really to be suprised about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net