Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

woodface
Telegraph - Boyd
woodface (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 07:48
Saints beat Blues for Boyd
In demand: Chris Boyd opted for Saints
Northampton Saints landed a major coup when securing Chris Boyd from New Zealand Super Rugby side the Hurricanes last month as, it is understood, there was a lucrative counter-offer from Cardiff Blues.
The Hurricanes’ desire to keep the 59-year-old, as well as Cardiff’s strong interest as a replacement for Danny Wilson, ensures that Boyd will take up his new post as the highest-paid director of rugby in the Premiership, on a package believed to be more than £500,000 per season.
Boyd, who coached the Hurricanes to their first Super Rugby title in 2016, has signed a three-year deal and will start his post at Franklin’s Gardens in August as the permanent successor to Jim Mallinder, who was sacked in December.
Northampton’s financial commitment to the coaching structure represents a serious sign of intent after seasons of decline.
Cardiff are expected to announce a successor to Wilson in the next two weeks, with former Ospreys forward Filo Tiatia, previously linked to the post, now expected to remain in New Zealand.
Mallinder and former Bath and England coach Mike Ford are also thought to be under consideration.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Telegraph - Boyd
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 08:27
Glad that we managed to get him. Hope the signing gets the season tickets sales up again, think we need about an extra 1000 to cover his costs?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 11:29
Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Glad that we managed to get him. Hope the signing gets the season tickets sales up again, think we need about an extra 1000 to cover his costs?

Assuming that they manage to keep all current STH which is a big if.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 11:29
Full house needed every week.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:15
I'd prefer to spend £500k on the right coach above any player in the world.

Money well spent IMHO.

Aylesbury Saint
Aylesbury Saint (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:22
How does the Telegraph "believe" they know how much Boyd is being paid? There can only be a handful of people (club and coach) that know how much his contract is really worth. I can't believe that either of these parties would go shouting about the value of the contract.

R Kelly believed he could fly - didn't make it true!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:26
or maybe know how much Blues offered and then taking a hunch on the higher offer, e.g. turned down £450K therefore £500K seems a logical higher offer

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:38
I very pleased we recruited Chris.
Don't really care what he's paid, suffice to say he is worth more than any player.
I really hope he brings an ethos to the team which the supporters can relate to.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:44
Probably means an increase in chip prices in the Village...............

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:29
North leaving pays for Boyd!

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 19:44
Hopefully the board accept that in order for us to get back to where we should be, they may have to put their hands in their pockets

Harpole Saint
Harpole Saint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 10:28
How much was Mallinder on?
Would've been a sizeable chunk?

Stevie Myler's right boot
09 February, 2018 10:33
Quote:
St.Sinner
North leaving pays for Boyd!

And who has the bigger impact?
Everyday I would rather spend the marquee money on coaching than a player - the coach is the bus driver whereas the player is the passenger - only one person can ultimately have the wheel - if everyone wants a go at the wheel you get the carnage we have seen for the last few seasons

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:00
i wonder is Boyd is planning to bring his own Bus with him in August?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net