rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

andysaint
Bath vs Saints
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:41
Accuracy a problem and attack. Saints needed to make more from their possession territory and penalties. Dickens did not look happy at half time and rightly so. Blew a lot of hard work in that last 20.

Banahanís try was a quite stupid one to give away through more lacklustre play. Foden, whilst backtracking i thought could have done better against another senior player.

All not lost but need to score next.

tboullem
Re: Bath vs Saints
Mobbs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:47
Tom Wood....penalty machine ?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:49
A couple of silly ones I saw from the side

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:54
Committing suicide with inaccuracy and some basic mistakes. Need to get heads up and start playing with some thought.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:12
No good for Francis. Taken off early and quite a conservative night from him. Still struggling to see where he fits in the side at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:13
Interesting backwards knock on from Api there....

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:22
Definite knock on by Wilson but ref completely ignores it!!! Who is captain now and asking for ref to review it consequence another try!!!

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:23
Game over. Like everything with this club itís been 1 step forward and 2 steps back again. A very disappointing frustrating performance.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:23
How they can fade away so much after an excellent first quarter ? Bath far more physical.

Are we going to go through the same Dickson/Kahn farce with Reinach and Groom ?

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:24
Based on the match up tonight Bath supporters can probably start buying their tickets for the AW final, I'd have thought.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:28
That was disappointing
Couldnít get ahead in first 20
Then just faded away for remaining 60
Poor

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:29
Seen nothing tonight that gives any sort of confidence for the rest o& the season. Too many players resting on their previous laurels.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:33
Another 30 points conceded 3 tries conceded, defence gone to pot again. Well done Saints.

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:35
I saw a huge amount of fight from Saints tonight.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:38
Quote:
BrianB

Need more than that though. Saints fell apart after that lucky Banahan try, just goes to show even though theyíve had a couple of wins how mentally fragile these players are.

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:38
Sack most of the team, a total bunch of disinterested prima donnas with zero passion. Very few Ďsaintsmení (another urban myth and better known as a total loser mentality)

There we have it, overpaid, disloyal and over rated. Beaten by an average and below strength team. The future is bleak and our new DOR will be having serious misgivings and dreaming of the valleys.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:40
Quote:
BrianB

Haven't seen the game, but if that result is with a huge amount of fight, I dread to think what would happen if we weren't at it....

Whiston Saint
09 February, 2018 21:41
Quote:
BrianB

20 minutes of competitive effort and 60 minutes of total dross.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:41
Hmm. I saw a Bath team that looked pretty good for their win. Their left wing looked very impressive, Kahn was all over the place, and Burns continues to convince me Bath got the better end of the Burns-Ford swap with Tigers.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:44
Good to know that the relegation battle for the bottom three clubs is still alive and well !

WesternWanderer
WesternWanderer (IP Logged)
Quote:
andysaint
No good for Francis. Taken off early and quite a conservative night from him. Still struggling to see where he fits in the side at the moment.

Austin Healey suggests Francis as a 12 - for once I might actually agree with him.

Thought we looked good for first 20 mins, but don't get enough points in this period. That silly offload at end of first half changed the game and meant we were always chasing it. I think we forced the plays and made far too many handling errors - you need to play percentages not go for glory offload sometimes.

Oh and big positive is Brookes - gaining scrum pens til he went off and then backwards...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 21:47 by WesternWanderer.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
We are an average and below strength team too..

Two knocks ons for two tries (unsure if the TMO was watching a film rather than the game because he spotted nothing), didnít deserve to win and too many individual errors. No excuse for dropping the ball, drives me insane. Very disappointing, thought we could nick a point, Gaffers honeymoon period well and truly over.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:46
On the plus, Brookes looked like a different player tonight. Solid scrum, getting around the field, tackling.

Whiston Saint
09 February, 2018 21:49
Quote:
andysaint
On the plus, Brookes looked like a different player tonight. Solid scrum, getting around the field, tackling.

So the answer was to take him off and bring on one of the normal saints recruits (jouneyman no hopers).

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:56
Lacking composure in their 22. That was the big problem. Come away from that first period with a try, or level it when back down there after theirs and it's a different game.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:06
Woods has become a penalty machine, what goes through his head.

I thought the game showed how completely unbalanced our squad is. Dorian should hang his head in shame at the weak set of forwards he has assembled. Tiny forwards lose, we know that from Smiths time. In an English winter on a muddy pitch you need go forward grunt, it is simply not possible for a fast light squad to out run a heavier team for 80 minutes on a wet muddy pitch.

Good to hear Gaffney speak honestly about our short comings. I wonder how many players will be let go at the end of the season.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:08
Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy!

Canít coach that, thatís mindset!
Also, can we now please agree that for the rest of this season, Piers is not our 10? Harry may not be everyoneís choice but he is more dangerous and with James Grayson as backup, we are developing our squad of 10ís.

Piers is a 12, so letís play him there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 22:20 by TringSaint.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:15
Hey, we played a top 4/5 side away from home and didn't ship a try bonus.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:36
Quote:
BrianB

Where? I was there, it was poor

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:37
A poor Bath side (Kahn excepted) there for the taking.

Despite the score defence and scrum / line out looked fine. Some poor kicking, poor offloads and low skill levels really cost us.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:42
A really disappointing result. First twenty we looked in it. Then seemed to lose any intensity we came with (which. Was minimal).

Francis has confirmed for me that he is not a 10. He offers his shoulder all day long and the defence just lap it up - looking forward to biggar

Tom Henderson
Bucksaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:49
Canít pass comment on that match without mentioning some shocking ref knock on calls in that game - but in all honesty once bath got in front it was clear saints werenít getting anything from the game. We were no more than tackle bags second half, very dispiriting. Like chiefs at home. Harry above piers for me at 10. And keep a competitive front row on the park.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:53
Goodness knows who at 10 you play for the rest of the season. Myler is now a bit of a sick note, Harryís defence is poor at best, Francis has no game management of a 10 and cannot bring the backs into play. Itís a real mess and a damning indictment of Jimís regime who could not bring a 10 through.

What is our best team? I donít think the coaches know.

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:58
Next week is a relegation game now. A must win game, we lose that and I feel we will get relegated. I wonder what the new DOR will do then?

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 22:58
Next week is a relegation game now. A must win game, we lose that and I feel we will get relegated. I wonder what the new DOR will do then?

LaurieK
LaurieK (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 23:00
True Simon but what an achievement. All Saints bad habits returned tonight. Wrong team wrong game plan, wrong mindset.
And us poor supporters pay lots, get cold and wonder why we went.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 23:04
Quote:
Saintalex

No where near. Irish need 4 wins with Saints to pick up nothing for that situation to become a reality. Even then 4 will not be enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 23:13 by andysaint.

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 23:06
It was cold, horrible and awful to watch. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes though. Other than that we didnít look interested, unfortunately a lot of over paid pre Madonnaís that are not fit to wear the shirt

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 01:36
Quote:
Matthew
Hmm. I saw a Bath team that looked pretty good for their win. Their left wing looked very impressive, Kahn was all over the place, and Burns continues to convince me Bath got the better end of the Burns-Ford swap with Tigers.

Ford is 10x the player Burns is, sadly.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 08:00
Bath were nothing special and didn't have to do a lot to dismantle a poor Saints team. The tries didn't seem to come from great play from Bath more feeding off Saints errors - we couldn't catch a thing last night, with all the talk of skills being worked on we looked pretty village in that department.

We didn't put a lot into the breakdown. Maybe this was tactical but Bath worked if out in the second half and we're able to control things. Francis continues to unimpress. He can't seem to bring Stevo or Horne into the game, and continues to turn outwards on receipt of the pill from 9. Thus giving the defence an easy night.

Aside from the rugby, we stood with a lovely bunch of Bathonians, amd had some tasty cider and beer around the city afterwards. Now, to take the waters for recovery.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 08:01
After all these years you'd think, surely by now somebody would've decided against the lime green away kit...

Moojís comment on Twitter.

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 08:03
Another big defeat but different from those against Saracens and Harlequins. Defence was much better - Bath scored by out maneuvering our backs rather than running straight over them - so perversely that is a positive for me.

Brooks not my favourite but so much improved in recent games. Ma'afu also looks much more solid. Well done Dorian.

If Myler is fit he needs to be at 10 in MHO.

Gaffney's analysis of Stephenson's weaknesses proved accurate last night - great heart and determination but his handling under pressure cost us the try before half time.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 09:02
Quote:
andysaint
Quote:
Saintalex

No where near. Irish need 4 wins with Saints to pick up nothing for that situation to become a reality. Even then 4 will not be enough.

Jeez! Sit down and breath, there is no way LI have 4 wins in them and that assumes those around them pick up zero points for the rest of the season.

Bit of perspective required methinks

Shire
Shire (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 09:09
While its mathematically possible,it's possible.
The laurels are available just don't let anyone sit on them.
Next week is a must win - as should be every game.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 11:51
We are not in a relegation battle. LI are probably going down, we are not.
The next game is always a must win game, particularly now if we want to get some semblance of momentum, not because we are under a fictional relegation threat.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 12:48
The result just shows that winning an Anglo-Welsh with virtually a full strength team is no guide to results away from home even if the opponents are below strength.
Failure to sign a top 4 no 10 has been a bugbear of mine, it seems a trait at Saints that signing players for urgently required positions has always been left so late, hence the poor performances over the last 3 seasons.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 14:23
Well that's also true Eif

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:22
Quote:
ElySaint
Bath were nothing special

I'd like to see Saints try and look special with 17 players missing

Stevie Myler's right boot
11 February, 2018 07:08
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
ElySaint
Bath were nothing special

I'd like to see Saints try and look special with 17 players missing

Thatís sort of the point - with 17 players out we shouldnít have lost like we did

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:22
That'll probably be the team we play in the AW semi final

Shire
Shire (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 17:26
Just noticed the reply to me that suggests the relegation battle is fictional : the mathematical possibility is not fiction,it may be unlikely but fiction it aint

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net