rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

SaintsAsh
Can Chris Boyd do a Canes with Saints
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:23
[the1014.com]

Seems he might want some quicker forwards.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Can Chris Boyd do a Canes with Saints
HungryLikeTheWolf (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:35
Really impressive article, Daniel knows his stuff. Also worth mentioning they have a solid set piece too....

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:55
there are some obvious deficiencies in the Saints squad in order to play the Hurricanes way so I expect Boyd to adapt his style to the strengths of our side.

Having said that, I can see a number of new signings coming. Whilst this won't happen overnight, it will have to happen.

Perhaps something like 12 players out of contract in 18 months is a blessing.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:12
Great article, thanks for the link, do these guys also do a youtube show??? if so, they do appear to know there stuff!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:21
Yeah it is very good, especially for a Rugby nerd. I like watching their second screen along with the six nation games.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:09
whats the Youtube show called?

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:53
2 things. I would argue we have more players with similarities to the 'canes mould than the writer gives us credit, just coaching hasn't allowed them to perform in such a capacity.

Mikey Haywood for instance is quick, good hands and would do a great job in the wide flanks a la Dane Coles.
Lewis Ludlam is an Ardie Savea mark 2. Lightweight but a very quick/explosive player and very good over the ball.
I think young Alex Mitchell is very similar to TJ Perenara.
If Boyd can get Burrell to 2014 form we have a good alternative to Ngani Laumape.

Ageing slower players will fall by the way side for sure but I think saying Tei isn't similar to the canes style because he attacks the breakdown fringes is more of a coaching strategy than player potential. We have the foundation for a similar team to the 'canes and with quality signings and better conditioning we could get there sooner than some think.

Also the question is really do we want to be exactly like the Hurricanes? Will a weaker defence and maul cut it in the prem? Prem and super rugby are very different and I'm sure Boyd will take this into account, especially evident with his desire for English coaches who understand the league. Eddie Jones has done the same with England. Play to the strengths of the club and bring all other areas up to a world class level?

All good discussion.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:12
He has no spell check when it comes to names, its Stephen not Steven

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:56
TheGent- agreed on all fronts, sir.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:05
I expect a dose of both tbh.

He will want too implement his philosophy and game plan no doubt about that.
But a clever coach tempers his game plan and philosophy too the league he is playing in.

I expect too see us attack quicker and more explosively.

But light packs don't win the Prem and probably won't compete in Europe either.
They just won't, we will be the plucky loosers who play good rugby.
Exeter/Sarries all have heavy packs and they had won the last 3 prems.

But Boyd has already shown he is aware of the this, with his desire for English and Prem experienced coaches.

He is known as very clever coach and I expect too see that translate too our style of play.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:38
So we're hoping for a hurricanes attack, a huge and lightning quick pack who are rock solid at the set piece and a impenetrable defence.

easy!

Better get signing!

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:32
Quote:
Saint Stokey
whats the Youtube show called?

The 1014

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 February, 2018 21:22
Quote:
TheGent
2 things. I would argue we have more players with similarities to the 'canes mould than the writer gives us credit, just coaching hasn't allowed them to perform in such a capacity.
Mikey Haywood for instance is quick, good hands and would do a great job in the wide flanks a la Dane Coles.
Lewis Ludlam is an Ardie Savea mark 2. Lightweight but a very quick/explosive player and very good over the ball.
I think young Alex Mitchell is very similar to TJ Perenara.
If Boyd can get Burrell to 2014 form we have a good alternative to Ngani Laumape.

Ageing slower players will fall by the way side for sure but I think saying Tei isn't similar to the canes style because he attacks the breakdown fringes is more of a coaching strategy than player potential. We have the foundation for a similar team to the 'canes and with quality signings and better conditioning we could get there sooner than some think.

Also the question is really do we want to be exactly like the Hurricanes? Will a weaker defence and maul cut it in the prem? Prem and super rugby are very different and I'm sure Boyd will take this into account, especially evident with his desire for English coaches who understand the league. Eddie Jones has done the same with England. Play to the strengths of the club and bring all other areas up to a world class level?

All good discussion.

Spot on style wise with the players albeit Canes guys are a level above athletically. But they’ve had better coaching, management and conditioning their whole career....

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 08:18
Before everybody gets too carried away, watch some Hurricanes games they lost.

I just watched a 2016 game (a year into Boyds tenure) where they got thumped 52-10 by Brumbies. Some passages of play reminded me of watching Saints getting beaten by Saracens of late. Well organised defense catching players behind the gain line and smothering them, lots of disruption of the ball to slow it down, lost territory and out-powered up front with the Brumbies scrum and maul absolutely dominant.

Boyd (or anybody else) isn't a golden bullet and he will have to make concessions to matching the size and power of the best northern hemisphere sides in the front five. We have a highly mobile / fit / skillful front row available now in Waller, Heywood & Hill, and they've been demolished in the scrum by several Prem sides. The best handful of front fives in the northern hemisphere would have Hurricanes on toast at the scrum too from what I saw in that game.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 09:22
Good post Marching in.

And totally agree, a small pack will not win the Prem. I'd love too be proved wrong! But I'm pretty confident they wont!

Let's get the basics of forward play right first, a strong scrum, efficient lineout, good maul, ball carriers that can get over the gainline.

Then let's think about playing the 'canes' way.

HungryLikeTheWolf
14 February, 2018 09:33
I would note their prop Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen is 6 foot 4 and 20 stone

Another prop Ben May is 6 foot 4 and 19 stone

Brumbies have always had a great set piece, I wouldn’t worry about that. Remember Canes have beaten plenty of teams away in South Africa, they have a solid pack and he knows the importance of it.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 09:37
I think the biggest indicator he knows there is differences in the leagues and how you have too play, is his desire to have Prem experienced English coaches.

Smart move.

Also thinks it's exciting that if we get some young hungry coaches they will also get all the benefit of working with a top Kiwi coach.

ch saint
ch saint (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:07
The question is "Can he etc?"
Yes he can, and will because he is simply very very good. Might take a while though.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:12
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
I would note their prop Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen is 6 foot 4 and 20 stone
Another prop Ben May is 6 foot 4 and 19 stone

Brumbies have always had a great set piece, I wouldn’t worry about that. Remember Canes have beaten plenty of teams away in South Africa, they have a solid pack and he knows the importance of it.

Didn't look like they were in the side in this 2016 game - perhaps brought in due to the sort of demolition I watched.

HungryLikeTheWolf
14 February, 2018 21:54
Just checked and they both started!

Was first game of the season 2 years ago so put it down to rust and bad day at office.

They did win the championship that year and had the most points of any team in the completion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net