Re: Chiefs v Saints
singinglady (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 00:52
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
St tub
Cant knock one of them - that was an amazing performance

Well I am, and he was only on the pitch for part of the game.

The box kick by Reinach at 77.30 was the most brainless act I've seen on a rugby pitch for God knows how long.

I don't care who he has played for, that was stupidity of the highest order. There is no excuse. He has let down every single squad member by that one decision, as a win was then probable. Instead we gave it away.

Strange how, as said earlier, a week ago I would probably have taken that scoreline as acceptable!

Agree wholheartedly. That box kick lost us the game.

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 08:22
Well, we travelled down to Exeter expecting to get comfortably beaten, so it was great to witness a performance like that. Defence for much of the game was excellent and we scored three cracking tries. Amongst others I thought Horne, Brussow, Burrell and Gibson were all very good.

However, I have to agree that Reinach box kicking the ball away with a couple of minutes left was a very poor decision. We still need to start showing more nous to close out tight matches.

On another note, it was disappointing that only Daisy bothered to walk over and thank the travelling support. There weren't that many of us but we did our best to make ourselves heard! Nonetheless, it was very encouraging to see such a gutsy performance - one that should have resulted in a win.

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:50
Quote:
St Marcus
On another note, it was disappointing that only Daisy bothered to walk over and thank the travelling support.

That is sad to read, Daisy was Captain yesterday and should surely have encouraged the players to go over? Could this attitude be symptomatic of what is wrong within the club, no interaction with supporters. Do they interact together a la Saracens?

I refer to my earlier post if a small clubs players can recognise the travelling fan then a big club like Saints should be able to as well.

banburyst
banburyst (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:08
Sadly this is not new, went to the Castre game in Toulose, shouted ourselves hoarse and didn't even get a nod. In the grand scheme of things not a huge deal but little things go a long way to building
The culture of the club

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:27
How can Saints not be aware of or not care about such things; it's pretty basic stuff after all ?

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:49
Email the comms director.

I mentioned on here some time ago that the players no longer had a trot round the field after the warm ups so we could have a warm up shout ourselves. Lo and behold they did it the very next home game.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:03
I don't recall them doing it at the Rec either.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:08
Not sure how much influence a Comms Director could have on what the DoR or the players do - the DoR, the coaches, the captain and the players should be acutely aware of the need to interact

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:31
Well hes a director for a start and i think weve seen his influence since he started.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:27
Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things. Not something I have ever craved home or away.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:41
They probably should have done , but they played their hearts and suffered a devastating last second detail. Give them credit for that rather than criticising them for not coming out when they were shattered. I wonder how many of those who are complaining that they didn't come out were there anyway.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:42
Quote:
Walks11
Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things. Not something I have ever craved home or away.

Possibly not but it does encourage a feeling of belonging to something and sharing an experience - otherwise why bother with supporters at all ?

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 15:17
They were probably really pd off having just lost in the last seconds. Usually very good at home handing the balls out and chatting and having photos, etc immediately after the game. Miss the odd week here and there so what.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 15:31
Yes it does matter

Its about respect for the punter travelling hundreds of miles and shelling out their own dosh to support your efforts.

It should absolutely be acknowledged. Again, this will change next year.

St Marcus
St Marcus (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:14
Agree HLTW. I know this is not especially important in the grand scheme of things but it helps build a feeling of connection/ togetherness between players and supporters - which is something that has slipped a little since our title win.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:27
Just a thought.. these are opinions, I have travelled to plenty of away games and in MY opinion Im really not bothered whether Im thanked by the players or not. So its important to you and not to me, does that make you right, or does that just give us differing opinions.

So your response should have been.. yes it does matter to me.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:48
Personally I don't feel strongly but the "connection" with supporters and the locality does matter and is equally important for home and away games. It's quite feasible for it not to matter to you whilst you might still recognise its value in the wider context.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 22:29
Spot on Walks11 ..... with the opinion thing that is. It's amazing how some are constantly right when others really know they are of course just expressing an opinion !!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 00:47
I would already be out of the stadium by the time anything happens from the players, not an issue.

MESSAGES->author
BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 00:59
It matters to me and to Mrs BBF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 01:00 by BerniesBestFriend.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 12:54
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Yes it does matter
Its about respect for the punter travelling hundreds of miles and shelling out their own dosh to support your efforts.

It should absolutely be acknowledged. Again, this will change next year.

+1

HungryLikeTheWolf
26 February, 2018 13:25
I suspect the majority of fans like player interaction and acknowledgement of their support, especially long trips

on the above assumption then yes it does matter whether yourself and FleetG are bothered or not.

even if all of the fans did not give a monkeys it still matters as a sign of respect to do so. Not all women care if you let them sit down or through the door first but yes it matters to give them that respect.

Alright?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:46
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
I suspect the majority of fans like player interaction and acknowledgement of their support, especially long trips

on the above assumption then yes it does matter whether yourself and FleetG are bothered or not.

even if all of the fans did not give a monkeys it still matters as a sign of respect to do so. Not all women care if you let them sit down or through the door first but yes it matters to give them that respect.

Alright?

I find myself in agreement with you - I am slightly uncomfortable with that ! (Sm128)

MESSAGES->author
BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 16:49
Spot on HLTW...Mrs BBC hates us being taken for granted and in the past season or 2 she thinks it seems like that

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 20:49
Having just watched the whole game on Premiership Rugby TV I must say I thought this was, by some distance Saints' best performance of the season so far; their defensive line speed throughout was terrific and the tries they scored were very well set up and taken. I am not convinced that Reinach's late box kick was solely responsible for the defeat; it might easily have been caught by a Saints player and just didn't run. Just as, if not more important was Mallinder's bad luck with the Chiefs' penalty which could easily have been batted down into the in goal area and retrieved by him. Instead it went into touch in goal. The pack was magnificent but it just wasn't meant to be. If they can build on that they should do alright for the rest of the season. I imagine there will be few selection changes, if any, this week.

shiversaint
shiversaint (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 21:30
Thing is, at 77 minutes, why would a professional player take the enormous risk that a box kick always is when being patient for 2 and a half minutes with methodical pick and drive which is both more controllable and safer is an option?

Mallinder's effort is hardly criticisable in the same way as the options of how that could have gone were pretty narrow. 5m Scrum or 5m attacking lineout? Coin toss in that game as to what was better for us.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 22:01
Hed given 18 pens against us..towards the end their 9 literally just asked the ref for pens (the wheeled scrum, the rolled maul and daisy not rolling away could all have gone the other way)

IMHO .. Zero chance with the home crowd and top vs bottom we would get away with pick and drive for 3 mins without off the feet or some obstruction - same result once that happened.. kick to 5m

Our only chance was to get into their half and force an error and the clock down

HungryLikeTheWolf
27 February, 2018 01:20
Quote:
tedge
Having just watched the whole game on Premiership Rugby TV I must say I thought this was, by some distance Saints' best performance of the season so far; their defensive line speed throughout was terrific and the tries they scored were very well set up and taken. I am not convinced that Reinach's late box kick was solely responsible for the defeat; it might easily have been caught by a Saints player and just didn't run. Just as, if not more important was Mallinder's bad luck with the Chiefs' penalty which could easily have been batted down into the in goal area and retrieved by him. Instead it went into touch in goal. The pack was magnificent but it just wasn't meant to be. If they can build on that they should do alright for the rest of the season. I imagine there will be few selection changes, if any, this week.

Spot on

Go back through the original preview thread...... this was a very good performance and shows with a few tweaks, a few recruits, a new ethos etc... top 4 is not miles away at all

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net