rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

nsaint71
Well played Scotland..
nsaint71 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:35
England out played in every area today. Well done the jocks..

Saintly Pursuit
Re: Well played Scotland..
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:39
Scotland played well and handled the pressure excellently. They didn't allow England to play how they wanted to.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 18:43
Indeed a comprehensive win for Scotland. England were outhought outplayed and bested in every area, well thought out gameplan Mr Townsend and co Well played sirs! Methinks Eddies honeymoon is over for now.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:01
Got hammered at the breakdown- how many turnovers?
Even worse have a Scot in my living room I was at his last year he is at mine dressed in kilt and full regalia drinking my beer !!!!
Any suggestions on how to exit him - could be a long night

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:02
Englandís intensity was no where near Scotlandís. England need to get used to sides playing a cup final against them and raise there game. England were well beaten and looked quite out of sorts but that was also the worst game from Nigel for a long time. Only one team was being refereed in that game.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:22
Really happy for Scotland, well deserved, well researched and intelligent.
Nice one Gregor!

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:32
England were poor. Courtney is no 6 for me. Other than ridiculous defence, have ball carrying and breakdown work isn't strong enough for a back row. Scotland really good defensively, huw Jones a very good player. Didn't think Mr owens had his greatest game but didnt affect the result.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 19:43
A few players on the bubble as a result I feel, Hughes, Brown and Joseph. The combination of Lawes Launchbury and Itoje is not working.

And Wigglesworth, desperately slow, forgot he was not playing for Saracens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2018 20:05 by andysaint.

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 20:22
Certainly no complaints about that result...thoroughly deserved. Scotland of course looked upon this game as the be all and end all of the 6N whereas to England it was just another game.....it showed !

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 20:55
Scotland were good for their win , Owens I rate as my fave red but not his best game IMO. Although it we deserved to lose regardless so irrelevant really.

Scots wanted it more than us and it showed. Theyíre a good team & they smashed us at the breakdown.

I think we needed to lose a game to wake up , weíve been bumbling along saying how weíve won bla bla games on the trot but weíve not really gone to town on a team yet.

We havenít put a cricket score on any team yet & we could of lost a lot of games weíve won. As long as we learn & get a reaction this will be beneficial in the long run.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:10
OOOOFFTTT!!

Ya beauties! Great game and tremendous work at the breakdown by our back row.

What I love about us is the organised chaos game plan where every player knows his role in the chaos. Clever stuff!

Good to see Eddie and Dyl front up honestly after the game.

I may have to order more single malt tomorrow.....and a couple of aspirin.

Thanks for the appreciation guys.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 22:40
Scotland were immense today. Terrier like at the breakdown and attacked from everywhere.

England looked tired and bored. Hughes and brown were poor as was Joseph (positional play was nowhere near what you would expect from a seasoned international). Courts and unite looked out of sorts and just couldnít get going, but with such slow ball, what do you expect.

Highlights for me were the two counter rucks. Donít see them often!

Re Owens, he did seem quick to call contest over when England were defending but was happy to let the Scots compete for ages despite lots of resting going on, and missed a few clear offsides at Scottish kicks, but didnít change the game.

As for garces, brown tackles player into touch, garces is 3m away and with a perfect view and doesnít call it! Weird officiating in my book!!

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 02:14
For his work at the breakdown at crucial times Barclay was MOM.

banburyst
banburyst (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 08:29
I had Barclay as MOM as well,speed too,and work at the breakdown totally flummoxed England.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:12
Well played Scotland thoroughly deserved win.

Owens and co were dreadful Iím afraid. He seemed to be a club level ref ticking all his boxes for the assessor at times. His reffing of the breakdown favoured Scotland and refereed England differently. Missed some big calls, knock on in first half giving the scrum to Scotland enabling field position and eventually a score. Potential forward pass for a try not looked at and yet straight back (the right call) for the Courts knock on in the tackle. Consistency is all we ask for.

England I think thought they could bully their way to a win and when this became apparent it wasnít working failed to adapt. Their ruck clear out would have been appalling if it existed in the first place. Couple of times we had quick ball we scored one and looked dangerous. Play the game at pace for goodness sake. Thought Danny Care was poor and back 5 pretty anonymous.

This loss and a probable loss to Ireland may benefit England in the long run. Scotland i suspect have had their performance of the tournament and will get spanked by the Irish.. I hope they donít

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:25
England were out of sorts yesterday, but you can never win a game when the breakdown is refereed completely differently for the two sides.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:23
Interesting that there are so many Ďpoor refí calls going out today, yet when England played wales and there was a very close call made, all of us welshies were told to shut up and stop moaning!!

Yes, Owens and co did get some calls wrong, but the tries stand as does the result, so pls stop moaning!! (Just for parityís sake!!)

Ps, even without the mistakes, England were a poor second to Scotland in every department apart from the lineout.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:38
I think everyone accepts that England were a poor second and Scotland deserved the win. However it was not one of Owensí best games and I am an admirer of him. His performance had no bearing on the result.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:46
I totally agree with you Rugby Mel. To try an make Owensí decisions critical to the outcome of the match is to do Scotland a major disservice (see Stockers, I donít really hate the Scots!!) as they were outstanding and made the world no2 team look distinctly average.
I would say that Owens wasnít exactly helped by his assistants yesterday as they should be better positioned to spot offsides and forward passes.

tmc1963
tmc1963 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:21
So much drivel about the officiating - embarrassing

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:33
Quote:
tmc1963
So much drivel about the officiating - embarrassing

Nothing constructive there at all really was there? Why bother posting.

I struggle to think of a game where the losing teamís fans canít find fault with the refereeing decisions.

No embarrassment, itís just sport.

I think the majority agreed Scotland were good for the win regardless, just wasnít Owenís best game. We didnít deserve to win and we didnít. No major complaints here.

Weíre just commenting on a match, on a rugby site made specifically for sharing opinions and views. Your post defenitley lacked any of those.

But cheers for the input.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2018 18:40 by St.Sinner.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:14
Players are ok to lambast in the aftermath of a defeat but the great and good Mr Ownes is held in such high esteem itís not allowed. My comment included the other officials as itís no longer a one man job, itís 4. As a collective they had a poor game. The ref in the Engalnd Wales games was ok, the TMO let him down. It happens, they shouldnít be off limits for critical comment/debate

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 22:58
i guess, Walks, that when i created the post re the disallowed try, i was constantly told by all that it wasnt a try despite world rugby confirming that it actually was and that we should stop complaining about the decision because we lost fair and square (which we did).

I even made a comment about fans often claiming the 'we were robbed' line after a game and, again, was told this was not the case, hence my response was that it would be funny if the roles were reversed and low and behold, they were.

Now, Im not so stupid as to not realise that the Saints play in the English prem and that as a result most Saints fans will be England fans, hence my bleating about the welsh not-try would hardly go down well, but it is interesting how when the boot is on the other foot, the reaction is exactly the same as it was for the Welsh fans, despite many taking a very different stance two weeks ago.

Refs get it wrong and i have no issue with the ensuing debate, but the irony on here can be staggering at times!

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 08:13
I think Nigel Owens has to referee what he sees in real time he doesnít have the benefit of slow motion replays on ever tackle breakdown or pass
Every game has an element of referee decisions that can be debated or called either way
Owens is a top level referee
Scotland where far better on the day
Quicker and more dynamic at the breakdown
Made England look flat-footed at times
If that had been another referee it wouldnít have changed the result
For some reason England have not got into their stride since scoring two tries against Wales
The only difference seems to be Danny Care at 9

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 10:02
As much as it pains me to agree with Lil Austin he did pen a piece following Ben Young's injury saying that Care would end up back on the bench - he is perfect for adding impact late on and Wigglesworth is exactly the opposite, structured and precise.

England definitely off the pace from the start but with my England tinted specs on the breakdown didn't seem to be refereed equally, perfectly good turnover from Launchberry pinged while it seemed the Scottish tackler was allowed to compete or at least slow a lot - as above I'm not saying that was the deciding factor, Scotland well deserved winners.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 12:22
The Scots did seem to be able to compete for longer. Maybe their numbers at the breakdown suggested to Owens that there was still a contest going on and that it should play out as they were dominant.

I didnít get englandís approach tho, as they could see that the Scots were hitting the breakdown with numbers and were flooding the 10/12 channel with players in order to stifle the English back line, but at no point did ford or Farrell pop a grubbed through to keep the Scots honest, nor did the forwards attack the fringes of the breakdown to suck in the defenders.

They seemed at sixes and sevens all match and looked bereft of ideas and just didnít look bothered.

If they do that against Ireland then they will get hammered as I feel the Irish are still stronger than Scotland and pose a greater threat around the park.

Still, itís good not to see absolute dominance by a single team as it means there is still a lot for all teams bar Italy to play for.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:40
England always seem to have 'that game' where the sum of all parts doesn't add up
During the 6 nations back in 2003. England lost to Wales and got thumped by Ireland but went on to win the World Cup.
Sometimes losing helps refocus the mind
And as a saints supporter I am well and truly focused !!!

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 15:05
England won a grand slam in 2003.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net