rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

GOD
Scotlands Tactics V England analysis
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 09:08
From the knowledgeable Mr Pugsley via his 1014.com very interesting and insightfull worth a read. Thank you Daniel: The 1014.com worth bookmarking IMHO

fair_weather_fan
Re: Scotlands Tactics V England analysis
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 09:25
This is a very interesting read.

However the missing item is the work rate. If your players are a bit off the boil, it probably doesnt matter what gameplan you employ the opposition will probably muller you.

I would say of the pack, Hartley, Lawes and Launchbury put in their usual solid shifts. Chris Robshaw's work rate was outstanding, if the missing 4 had worked as hard as he did england would likely not have lost.

Englands play was better when Harry Wiliams came on as he cleared out all the rucks.

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 10:16
Drinking to excess is always a mistake, my alcohol intake before and during this game led to much laughing, joking and much stupidity and so my analysis is clouded in a mist.
My only input is to remind people that the Scots had no players in the Lions and after such tours the Six Nations throws up a few strange results.
Itoje especially looks jaded.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 11:11
Hants, out of England's 23 how many toured with the Lions? Marler didn't, neither did Hartley, Williams, Launchbury, Robshaw, Underhill, Hughes, Care, Wigglesworth, Ford, May or Brown. It may be true that the Celts can struggle after a Lions tour, as Wales have with so many of their Lions not match fit, but England have so many more players which means much more strength in depth.

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 12:25
Nathan Hughes was just so passive during the game. It always felt like England were a forward down in the loose.

I think that then rubbed off on others.

MESSAGES->author
higgy365 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 12:50
Itoje definitely needs a decent break.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 13:33
Quote:
Eif Jones
Hants, out of England's 23 how many toured with the Lions?
I make it 11, which seems like quite a lot!

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:07
English players have the important prem

Celtic players have the less important pro14

So they get more rest. Which is more sensible. The workload for English is far too high.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:47
HLW - its not that the prem or the pro 14 are more or less important than each other - perhaps its because there are just too many international games and tours.

However I do think that the attritional nature of the prem - qualifying for Europe at one end and avoiding relegation at the other also leads to clubs over playing players - not risking anything but the " best players " because every game is critical.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:27
Yes apologies Pete I didnít expand the point

I meant each game is more important - for the reasons you mention. Much easier to rest players in Pro14, which is great because younger guys have a go.

And yes the RFU are horrible greedy sods. Ticket prices only attract prawn sandwich fans so the atmos at Twickers is a morgue. Tours tours tours.... etc. Shame really but Saints is my priority.

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 19:02
Quote:
Eif Jones
Hants, out of England's 23 how many toured with the Lions? Marler didn't, neither did Hartley, Williams, Launchbury, Robshaw, Underhill, Hughes, Care, Wigglesworth, Ford, May or Brown. It may be true that the Celts can struggle after a Lions tour, as Wales have with so many of their Lions not match fit, but England have so many more players which means much more strength in depth.

Have you any experience of Welsh referees Eif? When tired does he, sorry they, fail to keep up with the game or just make poor decisions? Burn out could happen I suppose.

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 19:47
Quote:
Saint Tim
Nathan Hughes was just so passive during the game. It always felt like England were a forward down in the loose.
I think that then rubbed off on others.

He was targettd too. Every time he received the ball he was shut down immediately

1908 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 07:02
Mako and Cole look exhausted. Itoje needs to learn how to carry into contact and Hughes was nowhere near ready to play international rugby.

Balance of back row is all wrong. Lawes needs to partner Launch in second row. I'd like to see Mercer at 8, Simmonds at 7 and Robshaw/Armand at 6.

And send Baxter down to the training camp to show the forwards how to get a driving maul off the lineout going. I have never seen such a supine England pack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net