rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Former Hollywood Saint
Opportunity missed?
27 February, 2018 10:26
Scarlets have announced they've signed Blade Thomson, the lock from the Hurricanes for next year.

[www.planetrugby.com]

What with Daisy in the latter stages of his career (potentially the end), we have a potential lock spot open. Daisy is on a 1 year rolling contract, and I was told by someone that he had mentioned at one of his testimonial events that this might be it for him.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we raid the Hurricanes whilst Boyd is still there, but he has been pretty highly rated as a big powerful lock/back rower and would have been a great replacement for Daisy. We might be in the market for another lock so we could/should have put an offer on the table in my view.

Thoughts?

FHS

Nath-coys
Re: Opportunity missed?
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 10:48
Quite possibly mate, he is a very good player.

And we 100% need a lock to fill the boots of Dasiy. Not only his ability and lineout expertise, but also his leadership.
Big boots to fill, as he is very important part of our squad and has been for years.

Super rugby players are fantastic players, and you can get great value for money.

If we do go for SR player I think we might go for someone with some experience and grit/edge.
We do need a bit more edge and physicality to our pack.
A big South African about 26/27 would fit the bill.

On the other hand Boyd might want too go for someone with some Premiership know how, and how the forwards game is played over here.

Time will tell, but for sure we need a Lock.

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 11:01
Possibly, but I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of non English qualified players in the squad.

Seeing as we're skint we rely on the money from the RFU for hitting the quota of EQP in the match day squad.

I feel we need to give more chances to English qualified players or replace the current foreign players we have with these quality new imports.

Next year we already have Biggar in who takes the place of an EQP. The big winger (I won't attempt to spell his name) takes North's spot so that's not an issue.

I'm sure the new coaches are aware of this and are looking at recruitment accordingly but it is starting to concern me a little. We can't just sign these awesome southern hemisphere players without getting rid of some non EQPs first.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 11:16
A choice between high flying Scarlets and struggling Saints, which would most players choose. Scarlets needed to replace the departing Berne. The Welsh are not a nation of giants and 2nd row is always a weakness.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 11:37
Maybe Chris Boyd made him what he is and is hoping to do the same with our current players?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 12:28
There's a difference between non-English players (for the EQP money) and foreign players.

I believe that teams are only allowed 2 foreign players on the field at anyone time.EU nationals,UK passport holders, South Africans and Islanders do not count as foreigners for a variety of reasons.There are numerous ways round it.

I don't know whether Rob Horne is foreign for these purposes or JP Estelles.
We're certainly limited on who we can bring , so any idea of Chris Boyd importing a host of Kiwis is out of the question.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 14:35
Probably Horne and Estelles are the only two "foreigners" in the squad although I'm not sure about Ma'afu who was born and brought up in Australia but has played for Fiji - he probably gets away with being an islander. On present form it's unlikely that Horne and Estelles would turn out together but they could if Ma'afu doesn't count. If Saints seriously wanted to sign a Kiwi they could.

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:19
I also doubt that Paretson is going to get a new contract, so that is a spot straight away.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:14
Quote:
Nath-coys
I also doubt that Paretson is going to get a new contract, so that is a spot straight away.

Forgot about him but that means Ma'afu is an islander. The way Paterson played on Saturday he might be worth a new contract

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 17:30
Paterson is English qualified.

SaintsDuncan
SaintsDuncan (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 19:40
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint
We might be in the market for another lock so we could/should have put an offer on the table in my view.

Maybe we did? Or maybe we have someone else lined up? Or maybe there are other factors that prevented an offer?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:22
Not big enough for what we need IMHO

A big heavy lock

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 22:40
We have Api, Paterson, Ribbans, Craig and Day as squad players. Lawes is the only guaranteed starter in the lock position. For me, we need another lock with some more quality to pack down with Lawes. Ribbans might be that lock eventually but heís been unable to hold down a spot. The others provide useful cover but it is a spot we need to improve the quality rather than quantity. I struggle to see Day being here next season, same with Craig. We already have Api secured and I think Paterson is useful. I think if we go into next season with Lawes Api Paterson Ribbans and one other good quality lock we will have sufficient cover.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 23:50
Where does Alex Moon feature in all This?

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 07:09
For me Moon takes Patersons place.

I really like Paterson, but for me he falls in between the second row and back row.

Very skilful player.
But not quite big or heavy enough to be a out and out Lock.
But not quite explosive enough to hold down a back row spot.

Lawes, Api, Ribbans, moon, + 1

Interesting also too see if Courtney does pack down at lock or move too 6 for saints?

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:57
Donít forget Jordan Onojaife.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:41
Ribbans seems to have recurrent niggles - second time he's pulled out in warm-up?
Patterson is a #4
Lawes is a #4 / #6
Api is a #4
Daisy is a #5 and runs / coaches the lineout but is 35 this year - ok Matfield was 38, Nacho signed when he was almost 34 for 2 seasons, but realistically times up on anything more than a rotated 50mins basis
Craig is a decent #5 but the injury tally must count against him

For me - we ideally need 3 locks, but minimum 2

Could we tempt Kruis with captaincy and more cash than Sarries can afford given his peers in their squad?

Aussie locks are a decent option given the Aussie salary cap, Rob Simmonds is the obvious pick if we want a lineout pro there but are cheaper options in Rory Arnold / Sam Carter at the Brumbies, both class (and out of the wallaby squad)

Left field NH option would be getting Kruger back from Toulon, he knows the club and at 32 could offer a good 2-3 year stint

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:48
Disagree that Peterson is a lock, too light (good guy btw, no dispute there, but not tight five weight / power)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net