rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

twsaint
Is Saturday's game in doubt?
twsaint (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 12:34
I doubt very much if there will be any rugby here in Kent this weekend because of the dreadful weather.

What are the prospects at FG ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2018 14:07 by twsaint.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Is Saturday's game in doubt.
higgy365 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 12:38
The only game I can recall being cancelled at FG was during the floods way back. The pitch was reported to be playable, but the surrounding area wasnt safe!

Never say never, I spose, but the Shire is doing fine just now and Id be surprised if the weekends
match is at all affected.

Tl;dr no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2018 12:48 by higgy365.

tboullem
Re: Is Saturday's game in doubt.
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 13:38
No reason why it should be. We have had some snow in the area but not much and its three degrees in bright sunshine at the moment so the ground is not too hard. Saints have a cover for the pitch and last time a game was in doubt, supporters helped the ground staff to collect snow from the covers. Should be fine !

tedge
Re: Is Saturday's game in doubt?
tedge (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 14:27
There's a big white warm air tent over the pitch at present so I see no reason to call off the match for a frozen pitch. Virtually no snow in this area so far - it's cold but bright and sunny

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 14:36
Quote:
tedge
There's a big white warm air tent over the pitch at present so I see no reason to call off the match for a frozen pitch. Virtually no snow in this area so far - it's cold but bright and sunny

5 minutes after I wrote this we're having a mini blizzard but hopefully the pitch and the match will survive !

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 15:59
I doubt if there will be any concerns over the pitch. However, i'm sure there will be health and safety issues for attending supporters which are more likely to cause any cancellation; particularly referencing some of media comments today.
1/ Students banned from touching snow as they may be tempted to make and throw a snowball that could contain grit and if it hits an eye.
2/ Possible ice on untreated walk ways, slipping injury would attract a law suit.
3/ Car parks not being gritted properly causing RTA. Private ground so law suit again.
Is it me but has the world gone mad

Ow3n
Ow3n (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:04
Quote:
Deesaint

YES!!

Its all quite pathetic really.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:06
There is a huge swathe of snow due in Thursday night/Friday morning. Far enough ahead to be cleared and game on I would say

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:15
and grit all the pedestrian areas

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:44
Surely Nigel Felton is doing the business in these circumstances

tboullem
27 February, 2018 16:45
Snowflakes worried about snowflakes I guess !

I remember the late Dave Bowen getting the Cobblers to play in Baseball boots on a frozen pitch and they whooped the opposition.....

steve battison
batty (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 16:54
I think the game was against Sunderland who were promoted to division 1 (premier) that year.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 18:50
Quote:
Deesaint
I doubt if there will be any concerns over the pitch. However, i'm sure there will be health and safety issues for attending supporters which are more likely to cause any cancellation; particularly referencing some of media comments today.
1/ Students banned from touching snow as they may be tempted to make and throw a snowball that could contain grit and if it hits an eye.
2/ Possible ice on untreated walk ways, slipping injury would attract a law suit.
3/ Car parks not being gritted properly causing RTA. Private ground so law suit again.

The one and only time I was caned at school was for snowballing!

Prior to delivering said punishment my headmaster gave me a quick physics lesson on the compression of snow, giving us first water, and then ice. So I was not throwing a snowball, but an iceball - and that was what I was being caned for.

Simples!

tboullem
27 February, 2018 19:05
I had to laugh watching Look East a few minutes ago. All these kids, off school due to 'elf and safety, throwing themselves down frozen hillsides in a variety of sledges !

Joe Davison
27 February, 2018 19:54
Quote:
Longers
Quote:
Deesaint

The one and only time I was caned at school was for snowballing!

Prior to delivering said punishment my headmaster gave me a quick physics lesson on the compression of snow, giving us first water, and then ice. So I was not throwing a snowball, but an iceball - and that was what I was being caned for.

Simples!

Ahhh, physically assaulting children. Back when the world wasn't mad.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 20:45
If I was in charge of health and safety, I would not want to be held accountable for an accident.

If there is a doubt, there has been plenty of warning so prior notice should not be an issue.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:16
-4C on the car thermometer-thingy on the way in today, hope the ground cover is keeping the pitch toasty.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:23
Awful conditions in Peterborough this morning, a lot of snow. If this is replicated in Northampton on Saturday Id be surprised to see the game go ahead.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:43
There is barely enough snow to cover the paths in St James at the minute.

If there is snow on Saturday and the club ask for help as they have in other years, I'll be there shovel in hand.

If a game gets cancelled, it won't be because of the pitch.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:31
if everything is fine on our side, pitch, stadium safety, our team, etc but for whatever reason, the Sale team can't get here, what happens?

Does it get postponed or do we get a Bye, as per the Wasps vs Wandies fixture?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:52
The snow seems mainly confined to the East and none is forecast for Sale's area or their route to Northampton but no, the match would have to be re-scheduled. Worry not - it will all go ahead but wrap up warm !

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:53
No major snow up ere and none really forecast. That goes for the trip down on Saturday so I should think sale will be ok to arrive.
I think the yak trax should be worn

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 13:00
There might not be much around now, but consider this from the BBC

The East Midlands, the east and Yorkshire and Humber are also expected to see up to 15cm (6 inches) of snow by Wednesday afternoon.

Up to 20cm of snow will fall across the south of England, Wales and the West Midlands on Thursday and Friday - reaching 50cm over parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:07
Pitch is snug, stands will be fine it will be the approaches and car parks. Could be a heavy snowfall Thursday just depends how much and when . Probably 10% chance of cancellation

tboullem
01 March, 2018 11:04
Get the Academy lads out with some brooms....simple !

MESSAGES->author
lilyg (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 14:11
Club say, it all should be ok from the offy

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:38
Get ya woolies & Damarts out peeps - let's play ball ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net