rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Saints' Hall of Fame new members
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:31
Link with a nice section on each of the 4 new members and a link to all the Hall of Fame members

All richly deserved. I didn't realise half of what Geoff Allen has done for Saints. What a servant to the club! It'll be a sad sad day when he hangs up his microphone.

I can think of a good few players I'd love to see in the Hall of Fame but Buck Shelford stands out for me.

tedge
Re: Saints' Hall of Fame new members
tedge (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 22:24
I don't think Buck was here long enough to qualify

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 23:38
Quote:
tedge
I don't think Buck was here long enough to qualify

I hear the point he was only with us a short time but for me it is about impact rather than longevity. Pat Lam is in the Hall of Fame and was with us for 3 seasons but what a difference he made. What a leader.

Buck was with us for two. He was a pivotal player who brought an All Black professional mentality to a Saints team trying to believe we deserved to be at the top table after years in the wilderness. We got to our first ever Pilkington Cup Final with him. We was one of the key figures for why we are a major team today unlike say Richmond or Coventry.

Would Dawson have come to Saints without the impact Shelford had? Would the likes of Rodber stayed?

I guess we all have our favourites. Who would be yours who isn't already in the Hall of Fame?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2018 23:42 by SaintMaul.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 01:16
Wayne Shelford transformed us from a small little provincial club into a club that lost people who followed rugby became aware of.

He was our first professional player

He is my hero and I’d be absolutely delighted if he would be recognised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 01:17 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

harryw
harryw (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 05:11
Delighted for my good friend from schooldays otherwise known as Uncle Geoff.

His work and devotion to the club would have to pretty hard to eclipse and he thoroughly deserves the honour, as does his aptly named wife Wendy

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:14
Quote:
SaintMaul
I guess we all have our favourites. Who would be yours who isn't already in the Hall of Fame?

F.D.Sykes - Saints, England and Lions. Frank sadly died last year and appears to have been passed over for the Hall of Fame.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:33
wasn't there calls for Jim to get a place?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:54
Quote:
Saint Stokey
wasn't there calls for Jim to get a place?

I think the minimum requirement is that you actually played for Saints [:wor kid:]

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 13:05
I know it didn't end well in either case, but time to forgive and forget...Matt Dawson and local boy Ben Cohen.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:01
Budge coached at Wellingborough for a short while when he was injured one year. Trying to hobble across the pitch on crutches at HT to deliver a team talk was quite amusing. Thoroughly nice fella

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:57
Excellent to see both Geoff and Roger on the list.

I think Tedge's call for Frank Sykes is an excellent one. He and Butterfield transformed Saints play in their day.
Possibly not fully appreciated by the "modern" crowd?

I confess to not envying the committee their task in choosing.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:30
from the 'modern' era, Bruce has to join surely?

presumably it is about impact, longevity and character. Reihana had that in spades.

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 22:48
Quote:
riverlodge
from the 'modern' era, Bruce has to join surely?
presumably it is about impact, longevity and character. Reihana had that in spades.

Bruce is a legend. When they start inducting his generation I suspect he'll be the first.

From the era I stsrted supporting Saints Hunter, Bayfield and Thorneycroft are highly deserving.

Dawson and Cohen were World Cup winners as was Thompson.

When they get to the current players generation Dylan has to be up there. Though a personal favourite will always be Tiny.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 08:07
Tiny & Mooj weren't here for the longest time (but then neither was Garry Pagel), but the Tiny/Hartley/Mooj front row was a thing of beauty and could there be an argument for them to be inducted together?
(I types that as "indicted" at first, which is something else entirely!)

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:01
It would be interesting to know what criteria are used by those who select the candidates.

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 16:28
Quote:
tedge
It would be interesting to know what criteria are used by those who select the candidates.

Agreed. Even attending the second induction party on behalf of Dad, I couldn't get a handle on it. I'm not even sure who the current selection committee are.

It must be a nightmare trying to marry all the old stagers I'm plugging, against today's Saints. And for those before the war, what hope do they have?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net