rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

TringSaint
Ryan Wilson Citing Hearing
TringSaint (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:00
Just read the report on his hearing and although he did make contact with the eye area of Hughes, and it was reckless and an act of foul play, nothing is to be done.

Not sure how this event differed from that of Thomas Francis or a host of other players who have fleetingly and unintentionally placed their fingers in or near the eye area and got big bans (justifiably) yet Wilson gets off Scot free (excuse the pun!!)

To me, this was a clear attempt to go for the face and he could see exactly what he was doing, so how the citing commission could say otherwise does seem a bit odd!!

MESSAGES->author
Re: Ryan Wilson Citing Hearing
shendy (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:20
I bet Chris Ashton has a view on it!

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:30
Inconsistency yet again.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 22:39
Seems 6N committees have a different view to club which is inconsistent. Not good at all really.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 23:11
I have his exact injury. Never felt the need to 'make contact with someone's eye' though. Seems a bizarre let off if I'm honest

oldtoastersaint
oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:20
I wonder if it had been Dylan 'making contact with the eye area' would the term 'gouging', with all its unfair emotive connotations, not have been freely bandied around in the press? I would like to think it wouldn't, but in reality it most certainly would have been, together with endless replays-(what happened to them on this occasion?)- and it probably would have inspired the authorities into imposing a very long ban.

This decision is as far from straightforward as are, apparently, Wilson's fingers. The panel have chosen to deviate from strict guidelines concerning any contact near the eye area. They were apparently unable to distinguish any intent, however fleeting, on the notional basis that it could never be intended on account of Wilson having a 'preformed' claw. It's as if a burglar could not be convicted of attempted breaking and entering on account of his jemmy being strapped permanently and completely innocently to his arm.

As a consequence Ryan Wilson, it seems to me at any rate, can never be convicted of this offence in future, particularly if it happens at the bottom of a ruck and not in everyone's plain sight. Its a fine line between bringing the game into more disrepute by the bad publicity surrounding a long sentence, confirming as it does such foul play exists and its minimilisation by pretending it never ever actually happens "old chap"!

The panel have crossed that line in this case and moreover have set a dangerous precedent.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:31
In the interests of accuracy and veritas here's what the committee actually said:

The case was reviewed by a Six Nations disciplinary committee on Wednesday and they concluded that Wilson's action had been reckless rather than intentional and no punishment was necessary.

A statement confirming the decision read: ""The disciplinary committee, having viewed the video footage of the incident, considered all of the other evidence and heard representations by and on behalf of the player and Six Nations Rugby, found that the player had committed an act of foul play in that he had made contact (with two of his fingers) with the eye area (ie 'anywhere in close proximity to the eye' according to World Rugby regulation 17) of his opponent.

"However, the Disciplinary Committee also accepted medical advice adduced on the player's behalf to the effect that, due to a pre-existing injury, two of his fingers (his fourth and little finger on his right hand) were involuntarily in a bent or hooked position.

"The Disciplinary Committee also considered that the contact with the eye area had been reckless (rather than intentional), light and fleeting and had come about as a result of the player's attempts to grab his opponent's shirt during an off the ball scuffle.

"After careful consideration, the Disciplinary Committee did not conclude that the foul play warranted a red card, and the citing was not upheld.

"No sanction was imposed and the player is free to resume playing immediately."

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:00
But haven’t other players who have been reckless but also unintentional in their actions still been banned for long periods?

He did go for the face (vid shows that) so how can it be unintentional? Unless he didn’t mean for his hand to make contact with the face, only claw at the air around it!

For me it was s red and a low entry ban.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:10
This isn’t crazy and not in line with the other band that have been handed out.

Rugby citing commissions are still a mess.

Gazzafez
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:32
Quote:
shendy
I bet Chris Ashton has a view on it!

Not to mention thousands of Sarries fans! Trying to second guess the outcome of these disciplinary hearings is a total waste of time now. The only consistent thing about them is that most fans across all the clubs agree that the citing procedures leave an awful lot to be desired.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net