rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Former Hollywood Saint
Half time team talk
03 March, 2018 17:39
According To Gibson, the talk at half time by Dickens was essentially to start playing or pack your bags.

I think this needs to be a talk they have again on Monday. That first half was a glorified training run for Sale. We seemed to walk back to the halfway line at every kick off, out of 40 tackles in the first half we missed 1 in 4!!!

As much as I would love to lay blame on the ref or the coaches, its the players that need to be accountable. In my view they just stuck two fingers up at every member of staff and supporter who came down to clear the pitch and stadium over the past few days.

As Dickens has supposedly said: Start earning that shirt, or pack your bags. Simple.

FHS

Hollywood JK
Re: Half time team talk
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:54
I wish we could sack the lot of them!

No pride for the shirt or town! Too many journey men!

Monday morning review, I would haul them in 8am tomorrow for that first half shambles!

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:54
Some strange comments on social media under Northants sport
Gafney asked where was George North today
Replied - you better ask George !!

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:58
Has Gaffney really helped? We've not really got that much better have?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:04
Quote:
smitferbrainz

We got a reaction against Gloucester and Clermont but that has been it. There was obviously an improved performance against Exeter but the results have not been forthcoming. At the end of the day who are the players playing for? If they have a contract already it is not for a new deal. Gaffney will be gone, hopefully West to and may be Dickens. Any of those out of contract may have already realised the game is up. The decision on Jim had to be made but it was too late to save the season and possibly too late to save some careers here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 18:05 by andysaint.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:05
Quote:
smitferbrainz

His problem is that the players know he won't be there next season so although they might listen to a few words of wisdom they are not essentially having to impress him or play for him. It would appear that the rest of the coaching team does not motivate them either. I believe Boyd will be visiting in a couple of weeks (no fixture while he is here) so at least Gaffney will be able to warn him about the task which lies ahead

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:13
The conversation between Gaffney and Boyd would be one I would love to eavesdrop upon ; I'm not sure too many of the existing players or coaches would want to hear the discussion.

The players seem to enjoy social media judging by the amount of time they spend on twitter. Presumably therefore they would be unable to resist the temptation to peruse this site, maybe the message might begin to get through ?

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:43
As an old boss of mine used to say, "You can't polish a t*rd."

It's another "Jam tomorrow" season as we await the arrival of the messiah, sorry, Chris Boyd.

JohnI
JohnI (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 19:49
I go to watch Rugby to be entertained, to see my team put in 80 minutes of effort and enjoy the atmosphere inside the ground which you canít get sitting in front of the TV HOWEVER this is not entertaining, itís downright tragic that we are shipping tries like confetti, we watch a team that struggles to perform for 60 mins in a game and either loses it in within the first 20 mins by not turning up or are not fit enough to last the game. As for the atmosphere in the ground, the crowd are trying to lift the guys but to little avail sometimes and consequently a rubbish day out.

Having received an email from the club this week boasting they have kept the ST cost for next season below the 3% inflation rate Iím just not convinced that the cost of a ST or individual tickets next season is value for money at all at this time and with the prospect of finishing one place above relegation this season Iím sure there are others also waiting to see where the changes are going to happen.

Hollywood JK
Hollywood JK (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 20:17
Agreed, but what changes are likely to happen?

How many false dawns have we seen? New season, new hope, a few new players, it will all come good..

It basically comes down to are you prepared to stick with them come what may, or are you a season ticket holder that comes to be entertained?

I have empathy for both, and would not have any issue with anyone not renewing their season ticket, as itís just not very enjoyable to watch these days, but I guess Iím the optimist who thinks, maybe this season! (Sm154)

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 21:40
Bunch of tarts.
If I win the Euro millions Iíd personally hand each one their p45 pay them off & boot them out & give Boyd a blank cheque for recruitment.
Keep your fingers crossed for me !

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 01:05
Nothing much will change next season, it will take the new DOR most of his time evaluating the existing playing staff and making longer term decisions. Today's squad had far too many Southern Hemisphere players, even those qualified for England are really SH. There must be a limit somewhere, so the DOR can't be seen recruiting even more from the SH, hence his problem in building a competitive squad for next season..

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:03
This is where the pricing is all wrong.

Last time. We were relegated we had the option of a cheaper season ticket or pay the same price and a lot of golf opted to pay the same. This was because we deemed the price reasonable. The price remained reasonable for a while and season ticket sales went up.

Then the cost of tickets went up and ticket sales dropped. (Playing@#$%&probably assisted in this)

Drop the price and sell more rather than increase it and sell less. Itís not rocket science.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:04
How many half time team talks does it take. Losing your captain and 2 others quickly doesnít help but that shouldnít stop the rest from busting a gut whatever the outcome.

Itís come abundantly clear if it hadnít already that the words of Dickens and co are falling on deaf ears. Boyd needs to make some quite big changes on the coaching front. Irrespective of coaching abilities these guys are not having any sort of impact so they need to be moved on.

northampton_lad
northampton_lad (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 09:58
Quote:
Walks11
Itís come abundantly clear if it hadnít already that the words of Dickens and co are falling on deaf ears. Boyd needs to make some quite big changes on the coaching front. Irrespective of coaching abilities these guys are not having any sort of impact so they need to be moved on.

Not really fair on Dickens & Dowson, this is JM &DW's squad. The player's attitude is by and large poor, (bar Harrison, Lawes etc.). I can't hold Gaffney, Dickens & Dowson accountable for this, they are putting in all their efforts to stop a sinking ship, the same can't be said for the players.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:16
I think Dowson gets a free pass on the season. Dickens for me, I have not been impressed by if this is his team picks and the way he carries himself in the media. He has been thrown in and the deep end and needs support round him but he does not seem a natural leader. If he stays I think he will be on a fairly short leash. I donít think for him personally, becoming Head Coach at this stage was necessarily a good thing.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:24
Dickens proved himself to be a good defence coach - maybe that's what he should do.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:02
You do lose knowledge of who does what in the coaching set up but isnít Phil Dowson defence coach

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:06
Quote:
Deesaint
You do lose knowledge of who does what in the coaching set up but isnít Phil Dowson defence coach

He is now but Dickens used to be before he was changed to attack coach and Hopley took over defence

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net