rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

northampton_lad
Reinach, Myler, Francis backline
northampton_lad (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 21:40
I was at the game today & first half was abysmal. But I actually went away thinking we have something to build on. Reinach, Myler & Francis at 12 produced a good attacking platform & I actually thought we could nick it at end. Admittedly, half of it was against 14 men. With this trio, do we have a very small shot against Bath?

And what do we do with myler at end of season? Personally if he still has ability to play at this level, I'd keep him on even for half a season. Behind Biggar & Grayson.

PS Not a season ticket holder but went to Quins & Sarries games at HQ, so I have seen how bad it really can be.

fleetg
Re: Reinach, Myler, Francis backline
fleetg (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 21:55
Bizarrely, with or without that trio I think we have a shot at Bath. I woukd not be at all surprised if we won in fact. The sad thing is we have witnessed the occasional heroic performance in the last 3 years : usually on the back of a shambles like today. It is short lived however and we revert to type a week or two later !

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 22:24
Sounded on radio that Francis played well when he moved to 12

TimperleySaint
TimperleySaint (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:07
I think Myler has the control we've been sadly lacking. However I think Groom is a much better player than Reinach from what I've seen (over the course of the season).

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 23:22
I think Groom was better initially but now seems to have fallen into the Dickson school of 'let their defence get lined up before we get the ball out of the back of a ruck'

Look at the way Faffy moved the ball with amazing speed today. Corbus picked up the pace like that when he came on & also has pace to break a line himself

It's a tricky one

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 01:18
Its not realistic to judge performances based on today's 2nd half, for a start they had the benefit of the slope and I suspect mentally Sale were already celebrating the win. For consecutive home games, the Saints have been unable to defend their try line adequately playing up the slope and, as today showed, they can not rely on a 2nd half recovery every time.

Not sure I understood Myler's trivial conversion effort, 9 minus 2 equals 7 and a league point. Another 7 point try and its a draw rather than still a loss.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 07:59
Quote:
Eif Jones
Its not realistic to judge performances based on today's 2nd half, for a start they had the benefit of the slope and I suspect mentally Sale were already celebrating the win. For consecutive home games, the Saints have been unable to defend their try line adequately playing up the slope and, as today showed, they can not rely on a 2nd half recovery every time.
Not sure I understood Myler's trivial conversion effort, 9 minus 2 equals 7 and a league point. Another 7 point try and its a draw rather than still a loss.

On the radio it suggested a quick conversion due to a possible forward pass

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:12
It was Francis with the drop goal conversion attempt.

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 08:26
I thought it strange that Francis kept kicking duties when myler came on. Sorry piers but kicking of any kind isnít his strongest card

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:37
Thats my prefered back line. We have the stability at 10 from Myler but surround him with creativity at 9 and 12.

What we need more than anything though is some wingers. Pisi and collins to start with fodes at 15 until Harry returns.

nottsaint
nottsaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:49
IMHO from now on, we should be starting Myler at 10 with Grayson on the bench.
PF at 12
RH at 13
HM at 15

We should pick our wingers to play on the wing.

Not sure where that leaves Foden..... when motivated and energised we want him on the field. He has played better recently than he has for a long time now.

MESSAGES->author
BerniesBestFriend (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:19
+1 Mobbs

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 22:26
Quote:
Eif Jones

Francis drop kicked it from the touchline because Horne was 50-50 knockon when he put the ball dow.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:08
Quote:
nottsaint
IMHO from now on, we should be starting Myler at 10 with Grayson on the bench.
PF at 12
RH at 13
HM at 15

We should pick our wingers to play on the wing.

Not sure where that leaves Foden..... when motivated and energised we want him on the field. He has played better recently than he has for a long time now.

Fodes is doing a reasonable amount of work thats all. If he is to be retained this season it will be because he can cover wing and fullback and is considered the best available option for that role. Otherwise we may as well promote George Furbank. Fodes is not stand-out first 15 any longer.

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:24
Myler's passing seemed particularly sharp on Saturday, whilst Francis looks like a natural 12 - committing players and creating gaps for others to run through. Not too sure what has happened to Groom's game, his service has gone from lightning fast to pedestrian. I suspect this is a reflection of the general malady at the breakdown.

Once a scrum half .... always a scrum half

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net