rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

tedge
Further Reflections
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 09:58
A week ago I posted that I thought Saints had played their best rugby of the season at Exeter, and I wasn't alone. There was no evidence that any of the players had given less than their all and that they were unlucky not to have beaten the reigning champions on their own patch.

Compare and contrast that with yesterday's performance. I said yesterday that it was embarrassing to be there and that it was one of the worst performances in the first half I could recall. Essentially the same group of players who are now being pilloried for their attitude were being complimented last week.

It's a bewildering scenario - what is the true state of this squad and why does it vary so much ?

northampton_lad
Re: Further Reflections
northampton_lad (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:01
Someone commented earlier it was a lack of leaders after Daisy went off, a Roy Keane type figure. Thought the players seem to really respond to Myler when he came on, we need to get more leaders & young hungry players in team. Hopefully this combined will lead to right attitude.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:08
Myler is a professional in the true sense of the word and would never give less than his best. Although he has been written off many times and had his limitations highlighted on this forum, he remains the best game manager and most reliable goal kicker on the books. He has been blighted by injury this season and it has been suggested that his contract will not be renewed. For the rest of this season i would be inclined to capitalise on his experience and play him at 10 with Francis at 12

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:08
Myler was constantly telling people where to stand and what he was planning to do. He has the experience to do this and people will listen and to do it. It's this sort of stability and control that we have been missing. Bigger will play the same role next season but I really hope that we keep Myler as a backup while Grayson gets more experience and the confidence to pick up the reigns.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:13
Perhaps Sale played particularly well in the first half?

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:14
I wish I knew the answer tedge, some players seem to switch off, and yet players like Foden seem to be playing as well as ever. Also in the case of Brookes, ever since he has announced his departure he has looked like an International again, yesterday he was all over the field tackling and carrying, which unfortunately one can only form one opinion, and now we have the George North story. During this weather being housebound, I watched the Clermont match again, how can they be so inconsistent?

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:16
I can only agree regarding Myler. Dan Biggar will only be a part time player for Saints and a combination of Myler and Grayson with the latter learning from the former can only be a good thing.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Chris1850

Absolutely no doubt about that - tries scored can always be attributed to good attacking or poor defending depending upon which team you support. As usual the truth lies somewhere in between !

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:25
Sale are much improved on the last few seasons. I think many on here don't give the likes of them and Newcastle the respect and credit they deserve.

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:36
Things were certainly better yesterday with SM at Fly Half - we have never believed what a diamond we have in him and the club has treated him poorly, signing a string of big names to replace him who have every time failed to live up to expectations! Francis could be the next on the list that SM sees off as he reclaims his No 10 jersey! With Luther injured; Myler and Francis at 10 & 12 looks the obvious combination to me.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:47
The Myler debate is an interesting one. We know what he can and canít do. He is very good at the basics you want of your fly half. Kicking is excellent, game management also very good. Defence is more than adequate for a 10. What he doesnít do is play flat attack the line or offer any sort of running threat. An ambitious game plan doesnít suit him.

Given where we are and have been this seasons a more pragmatic fly half may have been a better choice in hindsight. Although he was injured early season so that may have prevented this happening anyway

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:14
Quote:
Chris1850

They did, but we were also very poor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net