rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Walks11
TRP Rumours
Walks11 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:38
Rugby paper reporting we are in for Thrush and Franks from Glos and Oirish respectively.

Maybe pure speculation on the basis there is a Wellington link and they are out of contract. Ages 32 & 33, not sure if this will be a good move not. Seasoned prop maybe.

Also Patrick Osbourne still in the mix

andysaint
Re: TRP Rumours
andysaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:57
Franks I think would be a good idea as would Thrush. Both experienced, both know the league, both known quantities, both familiar to Boyd. Both stop gaps which in reality is all we will be looking at until Boyd settles.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:10
Quote:
andysaint
Franks I think would be a good idea as would Thrush. Both experienced, both know the league, both known quantities, both familiar to Boyd. Both stop gaps which in reality is all we will be looking at until Boyd settles.

Agree 100%, both also have a good attitude, and we need some of that to build the culture again.

Former Hollywood Saint
04 March, 2018 11:44
On a slightly similar subject, in one of the papers today (non sport) there is an interview with Ben Foden in a business section about what he'll do after rugby.

It mentions in the article that he is on 600k! If so, then it creates a tricky situation - he is a good player, and one who fights for the shirt and badge when not many others do. However, 600k is a gigantic chunk of the salary cap, and we could get 2 damn good players for that money.

I hate to say it, but I think it might be right to offload him and free up some of the salary cap.

FHS

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:46
I cannot see Foden getting nearly 10% of the cap, that must be rubbish. Half that maybe.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:55
Quote:
andysaint
I cannot see Foden getting nearly 10% of the cap, that must be rubbish. Half that maybe.

+1

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:57
Thatís a massive wage, if true he would be the highest paid player outside the 2 marquee spots. Where would players like Lawes fit in to the equation if people like Foden are on 600k?
Surely canít be true, and if it is, unfortunately not currently value for money!

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:00
I think they would be clever signings and good signings.

Not going too set the world on fire or scare the day lights out of anybody.
But that is not where this squad is at currently.

Unlike many others I don't think there is distinct lack of effort or anything like that, shoot me down but that's what I believe.
I don't think the guys are going out there and not giving there all, but they are going out there and getting it horribly wrong.

What we are so so lacking is a LEADERSHIP group at this time. Our decision making is woeful beyond belief.
After we got stung by a couple of tries it was crying out for the experienced guys to calm it down,
'right guys don't panic, let's get this exit right. Then we will play some territory, let's keep the ball tight, forwards let's take the ball up the jumper for a couple of minutes, take the sting out of this. Then we will work our way back in too the game.'

But no we got even looser, tried chasing it straight away and gave away further soft soft tries. And the game was over.

I think Boyd will look to bring in some experience and Know how, some players he knows well or has worked with so he knows what he is getting.
This will give him time to further assess what he wants to add to the squad and what he thinks of the younger guys we have.

He needs to get the squad crawling before it can walk, walking before it can run, and hopefully he will get it running. But I think you are looking at a couple of years project.

incastrowetrust
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint
On a slightly similar subject, in one of the papers today (non sport) there is an interview with Ben Foden in a business section about what he'll do after rugby.
It mentions in the article that he is on 600k! If so, then it creates a tricky situation - he is a good player, and one who fights for the shirt and badge when not many others do. However, 600k is a gigantic chunk of the salary cap, and we could get 2 damn good players for that money.

I hate to say it, but I think it might be right to offload him and free up some of the salary cap.

FHS

Thatís just wild speculation on the papers part.
How much did you earn last year?
Iíd rather not say. [The current team salary cap for Premiership rugby clubs is £7m, meaning Foden is likely to be on a base salary of about £600,000].

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:39
It is probably worth mentioning that Mr Fissler claimed Saints were talking to Jerome Kaino last week who was already signed and sealed to join Toulouse.
2 Kiwi's out of contract, Saints have a new Kiwi DOR. As usual, he's making it up.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:48
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint

FHS

It's a guess by the Times. Read it again before you set hares running.

incastrowetrust
04 March, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Flapjack
It is probably worth mentioning that Mr Fissler claimed Saints were talking to Jerome Kaino last week who was already signed and sealed to join Toulouse.
2 Kiwi's out of contract, Saints have a new Kiwi DOR. As usual, he's making it up.

TBF to Fissler it was 2 weeks ago and he had said that Kaino was likely to sign to a top 14 club despite Saints and Tigers showing interest in him.

Former Hollywood Saint
04 March, 2018 13:33
Didn't expect that barrage coming my way!

I didn't say that it was concrete, just what has been reported. I just said that £600k was what they were reporting, and that is all. I wasn't trying to inflame things at all, and had never stated that he has to be on this salary. I'm certainly not gullible enough to believe everything that is in the media, thats for sure.

Ayerza Wannabe - it is none of your business what my salary is! (Sm125) Just like Foden I will keep that under wraps!

In other posts previously about contracts etc I've said numerous times that I thought that Foden is likely to be on around £300-350k too so I quite actually agree with the comments above that £600k sounds way too high.

To be clearer, I should say that IF it was true (unlikely that it is), then £600k is massive for one player (which it is!) and we COULD think about getting 2 really good players for that money (which you can).

I'll wait here for the inevitable bullets...

FHS

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:01
Suspect we will sign Osborne, no idea on the others. IMHO Franks hasnít looked a scrummaging power this year, Thrush a bit-part player at glaws. Both ok but would prefer some current super rugby guys

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:06
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint
I didn't say that it was concrete, just what has been reported. I just said that £600k was what they were reporting, and that is all. I wasn't trying to inflame things at all, and had never stated that he has to be on this salary. I'm certainly not gullible enough to believe everything that is in the media, thats for sure.

Ayerza Wannabe - it is none of your business what my salary is! (Sm125) Just like Foden I will keep that under wraps!

In other posts previously about contracts etc I've said numerous times that I thought that Foden is likely to be on around £300-350k too so I quite actually agree with the comments above that £600k sounds way too high.

To be clearer, I should say that IF it was true (unlikely that it is), then £600k is massive for one player (which it is!) and we COULD think about getting 2 really good players for that money (which you can).

FHS

I read the article as well
It reports that Ben wouldnít say what he is earning so the reporter mentioned the salary cap then took a guess at Ben earring £600k
In fairness Ben may well earn that in a year but at least 50% will come from endorsements etc rather than the amount he earns from Saints
As always the devil is in the detail
And reporters making stuff up

incastrowetrust
04 March, 2018 14:20
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint

FHS

I wasnít asking you how much you earn. That was the questions and answer you where talking about.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:28
Well, £600k is a wild guess by a journo. It isnít even worth speculating that it might be true.

Nothing to see here.....

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:31
Back to the rumours...

I can see why we'd be linked but neither would be cheap. For a prop, they're at they're peak. I think we can get more value for money with a less well know beast of a prop.

Our props aren't bad, just lacking direction. I'd ask to save the money on those 2 and fund a new forwards coach and try to keep Campo.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 21:29
Wot Deesaint says, with Bens profile and wife, he gets sponsors, endorsements, will be speaking, etc... could easily clock up his pay?

And signings? For a year? Why not, but proven and can do the job, give Boyd that time to get settled in

But also probably 2+2=5 cause of link

Whiston Saint
Whiston Saint (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 21:53
What a load of rubbish.

What profile? And what has his Mrs got to do with anything?

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 05:58
Whinston

His wife is famous, Iíd donít like her music, but she has sold a load of records globally, Ben does get brought in with her and why not?

The only people with profiles as high as Nens in the club are Dylan, Courtney and George.... but go outside of rugby circles and Bens might be higher cause of his wife and all publicity stuff he does with her etc?

How many rugby players have sold the rights to their wedding photos to major magazines etc?

Whiston Saint
05 March, 2018 07:00
It doesnít make the club any money. TP and others donít sponsor us because BF plays for us and they like his wifeís music. People donít buy tickets to watch Saints because BF has a famous wife. We make publicity by winning and that attracts sponsors and sells tickets.

We only have a limited budget to pay players and we are top heavy with players who are way past their best and probably on high salaries.

Professional sport requires total focus and dedication and celebrity creates distraction and split priorities.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:22
Whinston, it doesn't state he is on 600k from the club, just 600k... I am saying he probably gets a lot of money outside of rugby with endorsements etc... sorry if some confusion, no way do we pay him that kinda money.

martin buckoke
buck55 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 09:07
why would we want these 2 players .I want saints back in the top 4 to stay there and challenge for as many trophies as they can.imho we need some quality young players to give saints years of being at the top and a platform for others in the future not try and just save ourselves from relegation.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 09:18
Quote:
Whiston Saint
It doesnít make the club any money. TP and others donít sponsor us because BF plays for us and they like his wifeís music. People donít buy tickets to watch Saints because BF has a famous wife. We make publicity by winning and that attracts sponsors and sells tickets.
We only have a limited budget to pay players and we are top heavy with players who are way past their best and probably on high salaries.

Professional sport requires total focus and dedication and celebrity creates distraction and split priorities.

Normally Iíd agree Whiston, but my daughter only went in the first place because of the Ben and Una connection.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:15
Quote:
buck55
why would we want these 2 players .I want saints back in the top 4 to stay there and challenge for as many trophies as they can.imho we need some quality young players to give saints years of being at the top and a platform for others in the future not try and just save ourselves from relegation.

In the absence of a decent forwards coach i think the very thing our young props like JFR, FVW and Hill need to improve is some experience surrounding them in the team. For whatever reason the front row seem to have got together and put in place a level of communication that seems to be paying off (why did it take this long?). Add in some real experience to that mix and some security in the bigger games and we could start developing our own props again to a better level. We are also too reliant on Day at lock. Great player, Servent to the club but other than Day we dont have any leadership at lock. We also seem to be good at getting our locks injured. Hopefully we get a coach too but we all know we need Props and another lock to hopefully replace some of our weaker players would be a good thing. most have been asking for old heads. If we get one or more I will be happy.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:46
The rumour that Franks is signing might actually be that he is signing as scrum coach/player?? Pure guess.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 11:41
We won't be signing a forwards coach with no coaching experience.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:01
Quote:
twsaint

Because we have already got a very experienced forwards coach...........

Longers
Longers (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:33
Quote:
twsaint

I would be very happy to have Ben Franks come for a year or two, on the condition he works with both JFR and Paul Hill, if he hangs around, to get their propping better. He has the necessary experience for that.

And on the subject of coaching experience - we already have one of those. But Steve Borthwick had next to none. I know which one I would prefer......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 12:33 by Longers.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:45
Perhaps we will have a forwards coach and a scrum coach

Whiston Saint
05 March, 2018 14:55
Normally Iíd agree Whiston, but my daughter only went in the first place because of the Ben and Una connection.[/quote]

Ben has played most of the season in a poor team. Him being married to a celebrity hasnít kept people paying to watch.

I am sure your daughter did as you say but for the vast majority it is watching a winning team that gets them into the ground. We need a winning mentality and attitude and success and support will follow.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:16
Our lack of experience in the coaching team has been apparent for some time.
That coupled with the only experience gained by the team has been under Jim Mallinder then why would anyone expect a different approach once Jim departed.
My continuing view, we need the following;

Forward coach
Scrum coach
Skills coach
Defensive Coach
Attack Coach
New fitness team (Is The Hood free )
New Academy coach (Someone with experience )

Once we have the right coaching team there will be a totally different mindset.

Make Phil D team Manager. Motivate the players look after them deal with their issues.

New Players required ( work out for yourselves who should go )

Two new props, good scrummages, ball carriers, hard breakdown clear-out players
Lock, big hard ball carrier, strong and solid - take no nonsense attitude.
a number 6 that can sort out the breakdown Sorry but I don't think a wood or Gibson cut it today we need a Richard Hill character who gets on with his primary roll - manage the breakdown not running down the wing.
A big hard number 12 that can take the ball into contact, and keep it, and make yards.
A further big hard ball carrying winger that can knock the defender out the way, we have one we need another one. And will come into the field looking for work as first receiver.

I really don't care if we clear a huge amount of playing staff and never win another 'A' league game again but we need to see a winning first team develop

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:07
Quote:
Deesaint
That coupled with the only experience gained by the team has been under Jim Mallinder then why would anyone expect a different approach once Jim departed.

Forward coach
Scrum coach
Skills coach
Defensive Coach
Attack Coach

Make Phil D team Manager. Motivate the players look after them deal with their issues.

a number 6 that can sort out the breakdown Sorry but I don't think a wood or Gibson cut it today we need a Richard Hill character who gets on with his primary roll - manage the breakdown not running down the wing.
A big hard number 12 that can take the ball into contact, and keep it, and make yards.
A further big hard ball carrying winger that can knock the defender out the way, we have one we need another one. And will come into the field looking for work as first receiver.

I really don't care if we clear a huge amount of playing staff and never win another 'A' league game again but we need to see a winning first team develop

And a philanthropic multi-millionaire to bung in the £5 million needed to do it

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:37
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Deesaint

Forward coach
Scrum coach
Skills coach
Defensive Coach
Attack Coach

And a philanthropic multi-millionaire to bung in the £5 million needed to do it

I know I know I know
But if you have a dream

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:32
Quote:
Deesaint

This is coached not a flanker fancying a run on the wing. we did it with manoa. Its always been a tactic of ours in certain areas.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:36
It is coached because they are more use on the wing than in the breakdown, if you had a Calum Clark time flanker, then you would want him around the breakdown smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net