rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

tedge
Hurricanes Style
tedge (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 13:51
Currently watching Jaguares v Hurricanes and must say that if Chris Boyd engenders the same loose and error ridden style we will get regularly stuffed next season although it might be an exciting ride !

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Hurricanes Style
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 13:57
Coming from a Saints fan !

They did win away in BA with a bonus point

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 13:58
Agreed Tedge.

We don't have the have the players to play the way they do.
They can play loose knowing they have world class players that with half a metre space will create something out of nothing.
Prem rugby is a lot more set piece oriented as well.

But Boyd is knows as a very shrewd operator and I think he will come up with a Style of play too suit the Prem and the squad.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:11
The final that the canes lost to Highlanders saw them getting turned over a lot and having a lot of handling errors, much like us. But they still was in that final and they won another playing that way, the bad bits might be like us, but we do not have the good bits, lol.

HungryLikeTheWolf
04 March, 2018 16:25
One could argue Exeter don’t have the players to play the way they do.....

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 02:01
Not all NZ coaches are a success here in the UK however successful they are at home. We had one of those in Glenn Ross.

HungryLikeTheWolf
05 March, 2018 02:58
Wayne Pivac done alright for your boys ?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:45
Quote:
Eif Jones
Not all NZ coaches are a success here in the UK however successful they are at home. We had one of those in Glenn Ross.

Whoever the coach wherever he comes from there is never any guarantee of success (however defined)

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 09:19
Certainly not in "wait till Boyd arrives, he'll get 'em firing" camp. That level of confidence in our club escapes me at present. He'll likely arrive about a fortnight before our first pre-season game if the Canes go all the way. So his direct impact may be very minimal this off season.
I didn't get all the hype about Brussow either - wait till he arrives he'll sweep all before him - nope.

I'll judge Boyd on results for Saints not the Hurricanes.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:24
Quote:
ElySaint
I'll judge Boyd on results for Saints not the Hurricanes.

So will we all but we have nothing else to go on yet !

oldtoastersaint
oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:52
Blimey tedge if staking half a million quid a year on Boyd is no guarantee of success maybe we should have hung on to Jim and waited for the pendulum to swing! After all he's already had major successes in the Premiership and results have not improved massively with his departure, indicating there are problems elsewhere. I'm on record as saying we should have employed a top sports psychologist to assist Jim, it's as plain as a pikestaff that the problem is more mental than physical.

Simply the act of taking those early penalty kicks instead of going for tries in the first half was a morale boost for Sale's players, they were the game changers that effectively convinced them they had the upper hand. Saints confidence that should have been sky high post Exeter sank until after the break when the game was already up, despite, be it noted, the kicks being successful.

Psychologically the game against Exeter was easier because expectations were lower, this being the case why was the motivational advantage from the narrowest of defeats away to the top team in the land seemingly not properly built upon prior to the Sale game? Do we know incidentally whether those crucial, what a psychologist would recognise as low confidence penalty-taking decisions were made on or off-field?

When we go to Bath let's show the same underdog mentality as against Exeter.

When we go to Newcastle let's make sure every player knows we massively outscore them in the tries for column, that is a significant pointer to relative ability behind the scrum, particularly when considering they play well over half of their games on artificial surfaces.Even if you don't believe that strictly to be the case, fool yourself into thinking it's so! It's called psychology!

HungryLikeTheWolf
05 March, 2018 13:50
And some of us saw this 3 years in the making .... whilst various other posts including yourself OTS called us ‘not real supporters’ ‘too negative’ ‘do you know better than jim’

Maybe with that positive record you will believe us that Boyd will be a new level above anything we have seen for a decade. Both culturally, player happiness, supporter happiness and eventually results

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:16
For a decade?? We one the thing in that time, everyone was pretty chuffed at the time I seem to remember. It was the back end of the following season that cracks started to show despite finishing top. We struggled in the last block of league games and weren’t close in the play offs

oldtoastersaint
oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:21
My quarrel with your 'positive record' HLTW is your remarkable ability to discard certain of your clear objectives without trace when it suits. I recollect that you called for Dorians's head and when they lopped off Jim's instead, you led the applause! Was it really Jim's fault that game changers such as Ashton, Samu Manoa, Corbisiero, Soane Tonga’uiha and Picamoles were all 'coaxed' away? If they had stayed longer maybe success would have been maintained in those three 'wasted' years and attracted others of similar reputation.

Let's hope that Boyd earns his corn, no doubt if he doesn't you'll be the first to call for his head!

Saint Wilf
Saint Wilf (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:33
Surely Boyd will slot in seamlessly the week before pre-season because Gaffney will have already paved the way for him - at least that is what I was told on another thread!!

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:39
It's an over-simplification I know but essentially Jim's time had come and gone as a successful Saints coach. Belatedly the Board finally recognised that and did what it should have done earlier ( a shorter contract post winning the league and if no success then no renewal). Having bitten the bullet they searched for the best available replacement based on a good record and hopefully some sound expert advice. Chris Boyd is the outcome but whether he will provide the answer is unknown and not guaranteed. Most of us are more optimistic than we were but that's all we can say at this stage.

HungryLikeTheWolf
05 March, 2018 15:58
Quote:
oldtoastersaint
My quarrel with your 'positive record' HLTW is your remarkable ability to discard certain of your clear objectives without trace when it suits. I recollect that you called for Dorians's head and when they lopped off Jim's instead, you led the applause! Was it really Jim's fault that game changers such as Ashton, Samu Manoa, Corbisiero, Soane Tonga’uiha and Picamoles were all 'coaxed' away? If they had stayed longer maybe success would have been maintained in those three 'wasted' years and attracted others of similar reputation.
Let's hope that Boyd earns his corn, no doubt if he doesn't you'll be the first to call for his head!

No that’s inaccurate. Was negative about management, with the likes of Robby and others, for 2 years plus. The writing was on the wall, but didn’t call for anyone’s head until that had become a very dark reality. Firstly it’s poor form to call for people to lose their jobs and also everyone deserves a crack to turn things around.

Of course things became so bad that change was needed and yes I applauded it. You’ll note apparently the board wanted Dorian gone but Jim was too loyal and fell on his sword.

Yes I’ve been so peeved with Dorian producing a terrible scrum for 3 years and said he should be accountable for that. Albeit scrum better the last 3 games.

Bear in mind, without the board’s pro-action we would have Jim and Dorian next year. If you would be ok with that then ok....

With regards players leaving for cash, we have enough resources to not be languishing where we are with discontent amongst supporters, players and the like.

Meanwhile Jim was hosing marquee money on a winger, a million centres, similar flankers, second rate props, whilst mis-managing player contentment. One can’t complain about finances with such a useless recruitment strategy.

Anyway the future is bright and Boyd will have my full support until and only if, the various inept practices that appeared within the old regime start to appear. All players and coaches loan the shirt, it is only us who will be here until the bitter end.

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 22:11
Many posters on here have been calling for change for 3 seasons. In that time the Saints have demonstrated that if you keep doing the same things you get the same outcome. At last the Board have taken some positive action and instigated change. We should be both grateful and optimistic. It is said that the darkest hour is before the dawn and hopefully we have reached and passed that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net