say his mates
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Although the article says that no party is commenting about the issue

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Saint Wilf
Re: George "hung out to dry"
Saint Wilf (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:21
If he didn't want to play last weekend I very much doubt if he will want to in the remaining games this season.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:29
Ahh! 'spanish practices' uncovered Hmmm! any others? has a cornr of the rug been raised?

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:42
Sounding awfully messy and no one may come out of this looking good. I imagine there is a sensible solution here if Saints North and the WRU want to put there sensible hat on.

Aylesbury Saint
Aylesbury Saint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:43
He was alright to play on a rest weekend when it suited him.

inaruck
inaruck (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:51
Agree that no one comes out of this looking good but while the situation may be salvageable strictly from a PR perspective if everyone behaves sensibly, that is not so true from a rugby perspective. This is the sort of incident that only happens when a club is in serious decline and, frankly, it speaks volumes about what is going on in the dressing room and on the rugby side in general (although it says little that we hadn't all figured already).

I see little point in speculating on the whys and wherefores, who and who isn't to blame. The long and short of it seems to me that right now, Saints are in a complete and utter mess and turning things around isn't going to happen quickly (at a minimum, months not weeks and possibly longer). I think we need to bed in for tougher times before things eventually turn around.

I can't help but think that while Jim's firing may have been a sour experience for him, he'll be employed over the summer and soon enough think he's done well to be out of it. Given the depth of our problems, no one man can carry the can and no one man will be the solution, either.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:57
"North is understood to have had a deal with previous boss Jim Mallinder that he would not play on rest weekends.

It appears Gaffney either was not aware of or did not honour this agreement, with sources citing a lack of communication between all parties."

What is a "deal" in this context - was it a formal agreement in writing (doubtful) ? If it was a verbal understanding between a now departed coach and North nobody else might be aware of it. In any event he clearly did not want to turn out for a team desperately in need of a win - you would hope that despite any perceived or real agreement he would be prepared to put himself out for his club and employers.

Sans Culottes
Sans Culottes (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:20
Whether or not that was what had happened previously , and it hasn't been consistent as GN played on the last rest weekend when he was looking to get picked for Wales, I would have thought the such an arrangement would have not sit well with players that are giving their all to try and produce something from the season and move going forwards.

Part time prima donna springs to mind...... if what is been said is true

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:30
North can not have a deal not to play, not even a gentleman's agreement, it simply breaks Premiership Rugby rules, if it's a non international weekend the player must be available for his club. We've been fined for releasing him for an unofficial fixture in the past and this is no different, if caught again we would be in a relegation battle as there would be a points deduction this time around. This would have been a very naive and stupid thing for Malinder to do.

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:35
IMO this needs to end in one of two ways (and fairly quickly too):

1) If North did indeed have an agreement with Mallinder to rest during the 6N off weekends, then Gaffney should give an interview ahead of the cup final and mention that he spoke in the heat of the moment out of frustration with a really poor loss (for which all the players and staff bear responsibility). He was frustrated not to have one of his best players available because of a decision somebody else made, and highlighting that he perhaps wasn't fully aware of the deal.

OR

2) If there was no prior agreement the player needs to step up and explain to the club, his teammates and to the supporters why he made himself unavailable for an important game.

I worry this kind of thing (the perception of hanging our own players out to dry) could negatively affect recruitment now so it can't just be left as is, although I fear that's what will happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 16:36 by HerbieSaint.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:49
As I have said many times in the past, GN only cares about playing for wales and we or any other league club are merely wage payers whilst he is not playing for wales.

As a Welshman, I do not see why GN is so lauded. Yes, when he came onto the scene he was great. Full of energy and desperate to win and to succeed. But if late, that spark has seemed well and truly dampened, to the point that I would not pick him for the national side as he desperately needs game time and form- two things you canít get sitting on your backside.

Re GN and Saints, the boat has now sailed. Even if itís a misunderstanding, the feeling of resentment amongst all parties is growing and for both the club and GN, a mutually agreed Ďconscious uncouplingí would now be best, as we will not get the best out of him (no need for him to try as wales have him on their books) and there is an obvious disconnect between player and club.

Shame it ended this way, but not a surprise.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:51
Quote:
TringSaint
As I have said many times in the past, GN only cares about playing for wales and we or any other league club are merely wage payers whilst he is not playing for wales.
As a Welshman, I do not see why GN is so lauded. Yes, when he came onto the scene he was great. Full of energy and desperate to win and to succeed. But if late, that spark has seemed well and truly dampened, to the point that I would not pick him for the national side as he desperately needs game time and form- two things you canít get sitting on your backside.

Re GN and Saints, the boat has now sailed. Even if itís a misunderstanding, the feeling of resentment amongst all parties is growing and for both the club and GN, a mutually agreed Ďconscious uncouplingí would now be best, as we will not get the best out of him (no need for him to try as wales have him on their books) and there is an obvious disconnect between player and club.

Shame it ended this way, but not a surprise.

In fairness he hasnít been the same since successive concussions

Which I completely understand

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:22
That article needs to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

No new quotes, no actual sources and written by serial saints basher Chris Jones.

MESSAGES->author
Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:32
"Sources close to George North feel he has been 'hung out to dry'

Quality journalism by the BBC's Rugby Expert.

Is phone reception bad in Northampton or Llanelli?

"George... we were expecting you at training today... where are you?" It doesn't seem too complicated.

If George doesn't like the idea of turning out for a side desperate for a win, how come he likes playing for Wales so much?

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:37
No Hungry, he hasn't been the same since he came to Saints, the Saints way of playing hasn't suited him at all, the Lions tour said all that. And Tring I will be more than pleased to see him on the wing for my trip to Cardiff this week end, Liam W was obviously not match ready up in Scotland.

An agreement not to pick him during the 6N gaps is entirely different to him being unavailable and shouldn't cause an issue with the English authorities.

Somebody should tell Gaffney that its more important to get the club playing decent rugby rather than slag off individual players, North wasn't the only one he insulted this week end. As many have said, the team is no better than they were at the end of Malinder's reign, Gaffney is obviously looking for someone else to blame rather than himself.

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:39
Quote:
Saint.Kenneth
Is phone reception bad in Northampton or Llanelli?

Probably not that good in Wetherspoons*

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:40
Quote:
HerbieSaint
1) If North did indeed have an agreement with Mallinder to rest during the 6N off weekends, then Gaffney should give an interview ahead of the cup final and mention that he spoke in the heat of the moment out of frustration with a really poor loss (for which all the players and staff bear responsibility). He was frustrated not to have one of his best players available because of a decision somebody else made, and highlighting that he perhaps wasn't fully aware of the deal.

OR

2) If there was no prior agreement the player needs to step up and explain to the club, his teammates and to the supporters why he made himself unavailable for an important game.

I worry this kind of thing (the perception of hanging our own players out to dry) could negatively affect recruitment now so it can't just be left as is, although I fear that's what will happen.

+1

This is the trouble with a candid boss being put in front of the cameras. They can let slip something that creates a £&*tstorm.

What I find baffling in professional sporting environments is how immature everyone is both from an attitude and a business perspective. The general lack of communication between bossses and players is quite staggering (not just rugby)

If I was a boss and one of my prize assets hadnít turned up I most definitely would have picked the phone up to find out why or expected some sort of communication from the player himself.

It also begs the question if a gentlemanís agreement had been made with Jim then it doesnít take a rocket scientist to work out that is goes out of the window along with Jim. Again communication issues.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:35
Quote:
Eif Jones
No Hungry, he hasn't been the same since he came to Saints, the Saints way of playing hasn't suited him at all, the Lions tour said all that. And Tring I will be more than pleased to see him on the wing for my trip to Cardiff this week end, Liam W was obviously not match ready up in Scotland.
An agreement not to pick him during the 6N gaps is entirely different to him being unavailable and shouldn't cause an issue with the English authorities.

Somebody should tell Gaffney that its
more important to get the club playing decent rugby rather than slag off individual players, North wasn't the only one he insulted this week end. As many have said, the team is no better than they were at the end of Malinder's reign, Gaffney is obviously looking for someone else to blame rather than himself.

Gaffneys not trying to blame someone rather than himself .
None of this mess weíve ended up in is his fault so why would he be looking to deflect the blame.

The short & sweet of it is, Saints pay Northís wages & he was available for selection under the agreement between prem rugby and the WRU. Heís in no danger of being over played as heís only featured in a few games the last few months.

He made himself available to play in the previous 6n rest weekend, when he had Gatland to impress for a recall to the match day squad.

But when he has nothing to gain personally, and the team still needs him, he doesnt show up for training or the match.

As a professional in the public eye, that is ridiculous, irrespective of us not playing rugby that ďsuits himĒ he has a duty to put on the shirt when asked and perform.

Gaffney has every right to call out this
Prima Dona behaviour. In hard times you want your big name players to lead by example and set the standard. George just preferred to flick the Vís to the club, team mates and supporters.
Heíd already checked out mentally, now heís quite literally checked out physically. Just shows the attitude towards the club some of our players have and this is the beginning of putting a stop to it.

No ones bigger than the club.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:38
If he had an "agreement" with Jim Mallinder then all well and good, however did it not occur to him "well Jim Mallinder has gone now so I'd better check out if it's okay not to play"? Surely that would have been the common sense approach. Just not turning up based on an agreement with the ex DoR? That's ridiculous and naive of George North. Hung out to dry? Sorry George but you should have made sure it was okay with Mr Gaffney first. Anyway like another poster has suggested he played during a 6N break a couple of weeks ago. Why did he play in that game? Because it suited him, Wales or both I'd suggest. He may well think he's been "hung out to dry". In my opinion to a certain extent they've "hung each other out to dry".

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:43
Eif, that Gaffney comment about looking for someone else to blame is not worthy of a wind up merchant even one like yourself.

These players are employees of the club and if they are not performing then they should be called out on it. They are given advice support and guidance on how to conduct themselves on and off the pitch and there are certain expectations on them as such.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:57
Oh, I do so like a juicy conspiracy theory !

Look, George is just a player, albeit a highly talented and highly paid one. No player should be bigger than a team as many have discovered over the years - Ben Cohen and David Beckham come to mind. George came to Saints because things were not working at Scarlets allied to the fact that a great deal of money was on the table. We have seen him do a lot of good things at the Gardens but sometimes the lad just goes missing. His original contract allowed him to play with Wales at some extra cost in fines to the club. He re-signed presumably because he had medals in his pocket early in his time at the Gardens and was still earning vey good money - he would not have won anything in Wales nor would have been paid so well. His meteoric rise to stardom for Wales and the Lions would probably have prejudiced his attitude towards club rugby which became very much his second priority.

George was able to play for Saints against London Irish because he needed game time to satisfy Gatland notwithstanding the fact that he could not be held by Wales on a fallow weekend - in simple terms, that game against Irish satisfied Wales, Northampton and the player himself. It can have been no surprise whatsoever to North or his agent that the same situation would occur for the home game against Sale; it would have been very naive to assume that any tacit understanding between North and Mallinder, if it ever existed at all, would have continued with Alan Gaffney in charge. The fragility of any previous agreement would have been demonstrated with his appearance against London Irish.

It seems clear to me that the players foremost ambition lies in the red shirts of Wales and the British Lions. In isolation that is no crime and bearing in mind his problem with concussion injuries it would be totally understandable if he felt he wanted to limit his rugby to prolong his career. Whichever Welsh franchise takes him on will have to accept that his availability will be very limited which is why the WRU are going to help play his wages. It is highly unlikely that any of the four Welsh franchises will win any significant trophies in the forseeable future, not that he would have done so at the Gardens either !

Whether Alan Gaffney was wise in saying what he did is another matter completely. His anger at the first half performance and subsequent result against Sale would have tried the patience of any Saint ! Perhaps, George became the sacrificial victim in order to get through a message to some heads in the dressing room ?

This needs to get sorted out quickly for the sake of all concerend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 18:59 by Mobbs.

Shiraz_Saint
Shiraz_Saint (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:22
He played a full 80 mins the other week when he needed match practice - seem to recall that was an international weekend.

Just pay his contract as stipulated and order him to clear his locker and disappear off to Wales. It has been a very unsatisfactory experience almost from the beginning, though no doubt the usual unquestioning souls will be queuing up to thank him for his services to the club.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:37
If there was an agreement between Jim and GN, then it is implausible that the other coaches didnít know about it.

DW or AD, ďOooh, I wonder where George is this week? Never mind, heíll turn up eventually..... wonít he?Ē

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 20:22
Quote:
HerbieSaint

OR

It does not matter if there was an agreement, any such agreement would mean that North did not want to playe for the club during the rest weekend. And as such Gaffa's comment would still hold true.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:05
Eify gets a little touchy with criticism of anything vaguely Welsh ... and let's face it, George is vaguely very close to being Welsh !!

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:48
Gaffers implied that GN wasnít prepared to play for Saints. That seems patently obvious. How therefore has George been hung out to dry? Saints appear to have treated him well throughout his tenure and it seems like a real kick in the teeth for a top player to miss training and a vital game without communicating with the coaching staff. Perhaps it would be better for him to take the rest of the season off too?

Saintalex
Saintalex (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:51
Iím a massive George North fan, but if this is true (we donít know either yet) then this has ended in a very very bad way. This wonít look good for the club, the other players and the supporters, has he got a new club yet? How will this look? He is a shadow of his former self as a player at the moment. But we do need to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow George a chance to explain, we probably will never know the truth. It will all get brushed under the carpet, but I suspect no smoke without fire.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:55
Just read the full Wales online article and it's comical : not a fact anywhere. If George was ok to play against L Irish I wonder why he was he not ok to play at the weekend .. oh of course !!!
Why would he also assume that any " gentlemans agreement" he had with someone no longer at the club would still hold water. Doesn't make too much sense to me but I doubt we will ever know the full facts.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:56
feels as if the silence is not a positive !

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 22:16
Quote:
St Saltaire
Gaffers implied that GN wasnít prepared to play for Saints. That seems patently obvious. How therefore has George been hung out to dry? Saints appear to have treated him well throughout his tenure and it seems like a real kick in the teeth for a top player to miss training and a vital game without communicating with the coaching staff. Perhaps it would be better for him to take the rest of the season off too?

Communication works both ways and itís poor. I suspect neither party will emerge with much credit

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 22:45
1 - had we won, would this story ever have materialised?

2 - if the side is picked mid-week, one assumes everyone would know who was in / out and where people were

3 - some players get breaks for a childís birth, others donít, skiing mid season, options for international breaks agreed in advance, arrival dates mid season, different acceptance of disciplinary behaviour (ask eif), released due to injury vs retained, not playing based on religion.. dare one say early contract termination??

The vitriol needs to be extended to a lot of saintsmen (ex and not so much) if one wants to be unbiased here..

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:24
Quote:
St tub
1 - had we won, would this story ever have materialised?
2 - if the side is picked mid-week, one assumes everyone would know who was in / out and where people were

3 - some players get breaks for a childís birth, others donít, skiing mid season, options for international breaks agreed in advance, arrival dates mid season, different acceptance of disciplinary behaviour (ask eif), released due to injury vs retained, not playing based on religion.. dare one say early contract termination??

The vitriol needs to be extended to a lot of saintsmen (ex and not so much) if one wants to be unbiased here..

Are you George North?*

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:37
Nope*

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:48
I have a little sympathy for North, how many games have we watched where he has stayed on the wing, 'to stretch the defence' we were told, and hardly touched the ball? Given how injury prone he is, the girlfriend and his obvious passion for his country + the dire state of Saints at the moment should we try to understand? If our games at the moment had more purpose It would be different.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 08:52
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
I have a little sympathy for North, how many games have we watched where he has stayed on the wing, 'to stretch the defence' we were told, and hardly touched the ball? Given how injury prone he is, the girlfriend and his obvious passion for his country + the dire state of Saints at the moment should we try to understand? If our games at the moment had more purpose It would be different.

It is not up to everyone else to make Saints successful for North, he is part of it. The reason Saints are in a hole like they are is because of player attitudes.

So nope imho we should not try to understand, we pay him well and he should give 100% at every opportunity.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 09:32
As long as he enjoyed his burger with Wayne thats the main thing*

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 09:45
Was talking to another welshy this morning and his views absolutely echo most on here in that GNís attitude is totally wrong.

Interestingly, he thinks that GN should go to Oz or NZ for a year or two to sharpen up and to lose the chip off his shoulder - might get him back to being a world class rugby player as opposed to a muscular barista!!

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:28
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

When the company i work for nearly went under i couldnt take time away because my mrs was elsewhere and I had barely any workload

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:36
Walks - agreed that communication is a two way thing but when I played team sports the expectation was that the squad were expected to turn up to training without invitation. Selection was then communicated by the coaches or team manager. In this case GN has blotted his copybook badly. Silence would be better than those close to him attacking Gaffney. Relying on a Gentleman's agreement made with a third party isn't a very good excuse either.
I too had a huge amount of admiration for GN until this happened.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:42
I see a lot of posts on both this thread and the others about people losing respect etc for North over this situation.

Truth is, we have one quote from Gaffney which has caused outrage. At no point so far as I can see did Gaffney say anything about George just not turning up. He just said he hadn't spoken to him.

For all we know Dorian and Alan may well have known that George wouldn't be available.

Gaffney could just be disapointed that given that there was an opportunity for North to play this weekend, when lets face it, he's not exactly clocked up a lot of minutes this season, he's chosen not to as he has an agreement in place

I can see why this may baffle Gaffney, to be honest it would baffle me, if I'm fit, I want to be on that pitch

We don't actually know if George has done anything wrong and to be fair Gaffney hasn't said he's done anything wrong

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:49
Iím not excusing North if thatís what has happened although you have made an awful lot of assumptions in Your response and have found him guilty despite none of us knowing the full facts

if i donít turn up to work itís incumbent and professional of me to ring my boss and state that I wonít be in and offer a reason why. If I failed to do that I have no doubt my boss would contact me in some way. professional sport is really no different to any other business in this regard

The point I was trying to make is Gaffney admitted he hadnít spoken to George. if both parties were seemingly at some sort of disagreement I would have expected him to step in and sort it out. Seemed odd that he was quick to pass comment and yet hadnít bothered to pick the phone up.

As I said elsewhere is all seems a bit childish and immature which doesnít show either party ina good light

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:18
However if George has out right refused to return in a conversation with Dickens then Gaffney will have switched his focus to the remaining squad and focused on the game. After all, Dickens is head coach and Gaffney is a consultant assisting him.

I canít imagine that no call was made and I canít imagine that saints simply didnít ask George to play. He is a marquee player and an available international winger, so who wouldnít want him to play?

This all smacks of george already having left the room for saints.

If we are all wrong then why doesnít he do an interview with the chron and set the record straight? I would.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:53
We have said to George, if he wants to come home earlier than next season we are here for him. We will support him 100 per cent. I understand Northampton wanting to get back on track. George has enjoyed his time up there and shown commitment to the club. He has spoken positively about how the club and supporters have been.

Gatland quoted today in Wales On Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 13:54 by rugbymel.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:31
Quote:
rugbymel
We have said to George, if he wants to come home earlier than next season we are here for him. We will support him 100 per cent. I understand Northampton wanting to get back on track. George has enjoyed his time up there and shown commitment to the club. He has spoken positively about how the club and supporters have been.
Gatland quoted today in Wales On Line.

Well thatís that then!
What a classy way to leave a club.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net