rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Saint Jericho
Vesty
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:29
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Vesty is leaving Worcester at the end of the season. It was rumoured we were interested in him as backs coach. Will we now see an announcement now his departure has become official? He's meant to be highly rated.

OlneySaint2
Re: Vesty
OlneySaint2 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:57
Joining us as backs/attack coach.

Would have thought Mr Boyd would have wanted a say in the matter. Maybe he has been consulted.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:06
Quote:
OlneySaint2
Joining us as backs/attack coach.
Would have thought Mr Boyd would have wanted a say in the matter. Maybe he has been consulted.

Heíd of been more than consulted. It would be Boyd who picked him if true.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:50
If joining us is that Dickens gone as well?

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:53
Quote:
andysaint
If joining us is that Dickens gone as well?

The original rumour in the rugby paper said that this would free Dickens up to return as the academy coach. I can't see why he would be happy with this though. I would have thought Dickens warranted a role in the main coaching set up?

nsaint71
nsaint71 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:11
Wasn't Dickens the man in charge of out water tight defence input hay day? Possible return..

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:29
Dickens back to defence coach would be a good choice, unless his time as stand in DOR has complicated things and heíd no longer get the best out of the players. Dowson will stay Iím almost certain. Boyd will want a bloke like him around. It just leaves poor Hopley redundant & thankfully West redundant.

TheGent
TheGent (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:32
Dickens did an amazing job as defence coach before moving to attack. I would be happy with him moving there and Dowse to assistant coach helping with player motivation.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:52
Be very difficult for any of them to stay. The players are not listening however good or bad they are at coaching. Compete new coaching team top to bottom for me, canít see anything else working

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:08
Quote:
Walks11
Be very difficult for any of them to stay. The players are not listening however good or bad they are at coaching. Compete new coaching team top to bottom for me, canít see anything else working

If that were the case, in all honesty Iíd have no complaints, a fresh start all round can only be a good thing. Itís just Dowson id be the saddest to see leave, I think we need some link to the BG&G in the new set up and heís a saintsman through and through, hear alot of good things about him motivating the lads and trying to get a club ethos going.

ElySaint
ElySaint (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:15
I'd like to see new coaching setup with Dowse retained. Not sure how viable this is though as Boyd is likely to not be around for a lot of preseason. I suppose he can instruct on coaching strategy from NZ for a bit if needed but this will be at same time as knock out rugby for Canes - if they qualify.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:46
Quote:
St.Sinner
Dickens back to defence coach would be a good choice, unless his time as stand in DOR has complicated things and heíd no longer get the best out of the players. Dowson will stay Iím almost certain. Boyd will want a bloke like him around. It just leaves poor Hopley redundant & thankfully West redundant.

Not sure how it can be assumed that West would be redundant - who will be forwards coach ?

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:49
It might be very hard for all concerned for Dickens to take the defence coach position again, notwithstanding how well he did it before.

No need for Dowse to go anywhere he would be a good link between Boyd and the players

Like it or not a big clear-out is on the cards after last week

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:13
Why is it hard for Dickens to become defence coach again? We are hardly trying to solve the Israel-Palestine issue ...

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:49
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Why is it hard for Dickens to become defence coach again? We are hardly trying to solve the Israel-Palestine issue ...

Player attitudes towards him?
Heís had to fill a gap left by Jim & changed his responsibilities. And in doing so will of changed his relationship with all the players?
In such a poor atmosphere I could only assume for the worst. Itís hard to stay mates with people whilst being truthful & attempting to drive standards.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:54
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

A bit like Grayson. Given the head coach role, got us relegated, accepted a lower position and arguably it is only a matter of time before being let go. If things donít start well for Boyd, Dickens (assuming West is not here) may well be the first scape goat.

It must be difficult for Dickens at the moment. Still learning his trade as attack/defence coach, Jim and Dorian being inseparable Ďpromotedí when things were at there worst and due to matters outside of his making getting worse then likely to be demoted again. Long term I hope he realises that he needs more time in a junior role but would he want that now heís had a taste?

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:29
If Mr Boyd knows who Mr Vesty is, let alone pick him out of a lineup, I would be astonished.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:33
Quote:
Flapjack
If Mr Boyd knows who Mr Vesty is, let alone pick him out of a lineup, I would be astonished.

Inclined to agree and if he's that good why is Worcester letting him go ?

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:42
Vesty is a very well thought of coach.
And was one of the young coaches taken by England too Argentina for more experience.

If so I would be happy.

And why do any coaches move Tedge?

Maybe he asked to leave for the chance to work at Saints, with Boyd?
Maybe Solomans wanted to pick his own guys?

There are endless scenarios, coaches move around for any number of reasons.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:51
Quote:
andysaint
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

A bit like Grayson. Given the head coach role, got us relegated, accepted a lower position and arguably it is only a matter of time before being let go. If things donít start well for Boyd, Dickens (assuming West is not here) may well be the first scape goat.

It must be difficult for Dickens at the moment. Still learning his trade as attack/defence coach, Jim and Dorian being inseparable Ďpromotedí when things were at there worst and due to matters outside of his making getting worse then likely to be demoted again. Long term I hope he realises that he needs more time in a junior role but would he want that now heís had a taste?

I believe Dickens has proven himself to be a very good coach in both his previous defensive coach role and current attacking coach role.

Relationship issues have stemmed from another coach

He is not a previous international and prospective saints hall of famer like Grays who hadnít really made a name of a top coach before taking on the main job and underachieving in it..?

Doesnít seem like a fair comparison to me

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:59
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Flapjack

Because Worcester are having a clear out of coaches, with Alan Solomons taking over.

D WEST
Saint James (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 21:22
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Flapjack

Nath is on the right lines, Solomans has brought his own man in (Doak) freeing Vesty up. (From alex shaw on twitter)

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 21:33
The big conversations between Gaffney and Boyd will hold the key to which players and coaches will be here next season. In my view there is one coach that most people want to see gone and at the other end of the equation, one coach that almost everyone wishes to stay. With Digger gone that leaves two others who would appear to be more than a little vulnerable. I cannot see Chris Boyd bringing in a full coaching team from down under hence the need to utilise coaches who understand the Premiership - hence Gaffneys influence.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 21:41
and Gaffney will support Dickens who would make a good defence coach if he is prepared to do it. The critical one is the forwards coach. I agree with those who suggest that our pack performance has improved of late but if there is a personality clash that does complicate the issue.

D WEST
Saint James (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 22:25
John Plumtree and Jason Holland staying/taking the reigns at the Hurricanes next season so won't be coming with Boyd. I believe Plumtree is mainly a forwards coach and worked with Boyd for a few years.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 01:49
So the coach who gave the opposition a 'starter for 4' tries was considered a success.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net