rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

MESSAGES->author
Saints looking to sign Fijian winger
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:53
Rugby Paper reporting we are interested in signing 6 time capped Fijian Patrick Osborne

Does anyone know anything about him and whether this is Rugby Paper hot air?

Saints have previously said we are only looking to make a couple more signings for next season.

We are now in March and no big signings in the forwards.

If we get two international wingers but don't recruit well in the forwards I'm going to start thinking the coaches have a cunning plan of the Baldrick variety.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Re: Saints looking to sign Fijian winger
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:55
RIL had this weeks ago, I heard about it and posted on here ... thank you for posting article

Very good player, wonít be expensive but prop please

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:04
Apologies if I missed your thread

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:19
There is an associated article lower down the page on the linked article suggesting that Franks (ex AB prop) has been approached as well.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:21
Nothing against really top quality players from overseas but are we not in danger of over doing it ?

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:21
I honestly thought we would have a clear recruitment strategy to strengthen our obvious weaknesses but with no high profile forwards being signed, marquee money on a fly half and a winger signed so far. Iím worried.
We may as well have stevie wonder out on the wing, it doesnít matter cause at this rate they wonít be seeing any of the ball regardless!

Big scary gainline breakers.
Monster scrummagers.
Please!

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:27
If Saints really are willing to spend 300k on a back up to Mr Waller then it serves to prove they've learnt nothing whatsoever.

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:38
In fairness I think our scrum has performed well in the last few weeks and weíve managed to get wide fine and find gaps. Our downfall is (IMO) we seem to struggle to approach games with the right intensity and physicality. When we get it right weíre a real handful still. Itís about getting the players to read it and up the intensity as needed like a sarries or Exeter

HungryLikeTheWolf
06 March, 2018 19:40
Quote:
St.Sinner
I honestly thought we would have a clear recruitment strategy to strengthen our obvious weaknesses but with no high profile forwards being signed, marquee money on a fly half and a winger signed so far. Iím worried.
We may as well have stevie wonder out on the wing, it doesnít matter cause at this rate they wonít be seeing any of the ball regardless!

Big scary gainline breakers.
Monster scrummagers.
Please!

With respect, we donít know who is leaving, what their salaries are, what is the cap space left for net season and so on.... so I donít think we can take an overall view on recruitment

I do know Darbon is clever, White is a passionate saintsman and Boyd is organised and sensible. So letís see how the cards fall, however indeed I want to see forward ball carriers in rumourville

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:46
Agree with Wolfy.

Darbon has in general delivered so far, and proved pretty shrewd and aware of what we need, so let's see what all falls in too place.
I hope for a thinning of the squad and the available salary cap to be invested in fewer but higher quality players.

In a perfect world a Prop, lock, back row and winger.

But I think that would be me being greedy.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:46
Our scrum has looked better of late. It's just a shame that Brookes is going and Campo is rumoured to be. Sounds like we'd be left with Waller and jfr

HungryLikeTheWolf
06 March, 2018 20:48
we donít know who is lined up so itís difficult to judge whether itís a shame or not

eg Toomaga-Allen > Brookes

Suspect any super rugby signings would be announced toward end of their season

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 21:08
Which would mean like Heinz. Arriving early 2019 So if Brookes & Ma'afu leaves that would leave Waller JFR & Hill as our "experienced" props. Painter & Trinder are too young for the front row yet so we need to at least match FR leavers in the short term.

RugbyInsideLine
RugbyInsideLine (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 21:29
Quote:
Dragonboy
Which would mean like Heinz. Arriving early 2019 So if Brookes & Ma'afu leaves that would leave Waller JFR & Hill as our "experienced" props. Painter & Trinder are too young for the front row yet so we need to at least match FR leavers in the short term.

No, Heinz was playing in Japan. Super Rugby would be free to play from the start of the season, but unlikely to see them until mid-September earliest.

HungryLikeTheWolf
06 March, 2018 21:34
Quote:
Dragonboy

Super Rugby final is on August 4th

Hence why Boyd joins late August

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 21:43
Quote:
RugbyInsideLine
Quote:
Dragonboy

No, Heinz was playing in Japan. Super Rugby would be free to play from the start of the season, but unlikely to see them until mid-September earliest.

That hadn't occurred to me so happy to stand corrected there if it happens. It doesn't help the prop situation with 2 probably out and 1 in. As so many have sad so often through many threads on here we are so underpowered in the front row with our current first choices potentially leaving. Alex Waller has in my mind always only ever been bench. Not a started and with all due respect we should never confuse his record breaking run with a top quality world class starter. How many of AW's caps were 15 mins off the bench? Does anyone know if Gary Pearce or Gary Pagels kids are of the right age ? What we would give to have those two back and in their pomp.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 01:45
Not forgetting that the RWC is not far away and many of the SH players will have to return to play for clubs in their home country if they want to take part in that competition.

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:44
I have a feeling that Boyd may be in the "if they're good enough they're old enough" school - yes I know props are "different" but I'm sure that the two U20 chaps will get some opportunities next season hopefully with another experienced (ex All Black?) to help guide them and I don't think we should under-estimate Will Davis either.

HungryLikeTheWolf
07 March, 2018 13:06
Quote:
Eif Jones
Not forgetting that the RWC is not far away and many of the SH players will have to return to play for clubs in their home country if they want to take part in that competition.

We are suggesting going for players outside of that reckoning who would still be superb at Prem level

Reihana, Blowers etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net