rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Former Hollywood Saint
Official: Sam Vesty
07 March, 2018 08:56
[www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

Its official. Sam Vesty will join the set up next season. Hopefully more rejigging and signings etc to come, I hope.

FHS

tboullem
Welcome Sam......
Mobbs (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:56
Sam Vesty confirmed as new attack coach.

Lesson 1. Don't drop the ball chaps......(Sm128)

Lesson 2. Don't celebrate before you get the ball down....

Welcome SAM !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 09:20 by Mobbs.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Official: Sam Vesty
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:01
Good it says that Chris Boyd was at the centre of the decision.
I note that Hurricanes are not playing the weekend of the 17th March. I wonder if we can assume that Chris Boyd will be checking things over at FG sometime next week for a few days?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:03
Something a little more ambitious than 1 out runners who are not big enough hopefully. Welcome Sam, I think are friends up the road would have liked him back. This feels like a good appointment

I like this bit on the official feed...

“As our new director of rugby, Chris was at the centre of this decision, and I am confident that Sam can help take us to the next level on the pitch.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 09:11 by Walks11.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:33
Quote:
Chris Hoddle
Good it says that Chris Boyd was at the centre of the decision.
I note that Hurricanes are not playing the weekend of the 17th March. I wonder if we can assume that Chris Boyd will be checking things over at FG sometime next week for a few days?

I guess he will come straight after the Canes against Crusaders (that will be well worth watching) match on Saturday and spend a week here. If Saints make the LV Cup final he could stick around for that too !

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:07
Warriors fan here. Sam has done a very good job at Wuss, but of course the new head wants his own team..
He'll do a terrific job for you. He believes in "playing what's in front of you", though he may have been held back on this aspect by previous bosses. Don't expect too much from him at Meet the Coaches sessions though; he doesn't give away a lot.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:20
We haven't evolved to "Meet the Coaches sessions" - chance would be a fine thing !

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:57
Good appointment!

Sam has a cracking rugby brain and will help to get our guys firing again.

Welcome Sam

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:10
Every best wish to Sam in his new role, he did well at Wuss, sorry to see him go but things have to evolve.

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:39
The general consensus on Twitter from 'the experts' seems to be that this is a great appointment.

Welcome Sam.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 11:59
Great news, a new coach in. Personally I hope Dowse and Dickens stay and play some role. I'd like to think that the forwards coach will be leaving with thanks from the club plus the fans.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:14
If I were DW with a year left on a lucrative contract I would be looking to see it out

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:18
Exciting news, welcome Sam!

MESSAGES->author
HRsaints fan (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:19
Although I did understand the sentiment, nevertheless this quote from our friends up the road did make me smile....

Quote:
Rich W
Gutted - not there Sam - not there!

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:27
So it appears that Vesty will be our new attack coach. I hope that doesn't mean the end of Dickens.

I hope a new forwards or scrum coach comes in. I'd like to see Dows stay on. Perhaps Dows could take on the forwards, dickens on defence and a new Scrum coach. If we retain Daisy, perhaps he could lead the lineout training.

Either the above or perhaps one chap taking on forwards and scrum with Dickens taking on skills?

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:57
Good news!

dudleywarrior88
Re: Welcome Sam......
dudleywarrior88 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Mobbs
Sam Vesty confirmed as new attack coach.
Lesson 1. Don't drop the ball chaps......(Sm128)

Lesson 2. Don't celebrate before you get the ball down....

Welcome SAM !!!

Lesson 1 Dont drop the ball - well Worcester with Sam Vesty's guidance like to drop the ball alot. Just watch our game with leicester! lol

SuffolkSaint
Re: Welcome Sam......
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:59
Good appointment.

Can we now deal with the ‘Elephant in the room’ or do we now have 2 elephants to deal with?

Former Hollywood Saint
07 March, 2018 15:15
Quote:
Saint Stokey
So it appears that Vesty will be our new attack coach. I hope that doesn't mean the end of Dickens.

There was some chatter on here or Twitter that Dickens was going back to his old Academy/Wanderers role which he performed very well. This was before Digger announced he was off, so it now sort of makes sense that he'll go back there.

As mentioned by some above, now we just need to get rid of the Westephant in the room somehow.

Some former players in the know are saying they know that Boyd and West will definitely not get on. We need to get rid of the toxic atmosphere before Boyd comes in and start fresh during the summer.

FHS

acl saint
acl saint (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:41
Real good appointment.
Can’t wait until next season to see us rebuild and develope week by week!!!!

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:01
A warm welcome Sam. You clearly like a challenge!

St John
St John (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 00:16
He has a connection with Northampton as his dad Phil Vesty was a PE master in the early 70's at the Grammar School - now NSB - although he played for Tigers

GOD
Bob Stainsby (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:26
Welcome Sam indeed! I would like Mr Boyd to continue to put 'his' coaching team together but with the exception of Phil Dowson I would like a complete clearout and fresh start including any lurking pachyderms. If an academy role suits Mr Dickens then great if that is in the clubs best interests too. But all decisions on coaches should start and end with Chris Boyd. No sentimentality just the best people in the key positions all with formal performance reviews and support. #FRESH START

P.S. Same goes for players too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 11:27 by Bob Stainsby.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 17:19
Just as there's a rule on not fielding more than a certain number of foreign players in the team, isn't there also a rule which states that no club can have more than 2 ex Tigers in the set up?

So, with Gibbo and now Vesty, that means Bye Bye Nobby!

Anyway, you just couldn't have a "Westy" and a "Vesty"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net