rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

SaintsMan87
Gatland and North - wales press conference
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:31
ďWe have spoke to George and will support him 100% if he wants to quit northampton and come home earlyĒ

Plot gets deeper. Wales encouraging players to quit clubs

MESSAGES->author
Re: Gatland and North - wales press conference
Neil-H (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:37
If he wants to go let him go, don't want a player that doesn't want to be here.

Save a few quid anyway and very unlikely we will get relegated or qualify for europe

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:37
With our relationship with Wales looking very strained too say the least, hope this doesn't have impacts on Biggar and his time at Saints.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 14:59
Whenís Gatlands contract up anyway?

StGonne
StGonne (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 15:10
Interesting that as he left Scarlets a few years ago he ended up parting on bad terms with the club. Would not like the same thing to happen here but it looks as though itís going that way unfortunately.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 15:10
I do hope Saints maintain a dignified silence

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 15:15
I think it was the fact we didn't keep a dignified silience that has caused all this Tedge!

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:05
Yep Ted all hopes of this ending amicably having seemingly gone.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:11
I feel this is one of those situation where someone has said something in the heat the moment and then it get blown massively out of proportion. Sure with all done it with the Mrs / Mr at some point; regret it as soon as you've said it.

If he does leave under a cloud, which genuinely hope isn't the case, I'll still wish him all the best and thanks for the service to the club. He was part of the first team to lift the Prem for us, and for that he'll be remembered as a club legend in my book.

SaintsEdward
SaintsEdward (IP Logged)
I feel this is one of those situation where someone has said something in the heat the moment and then it get blown massively out of proportion. Sure with all done it with the Mrs / Mr at some point; regret it as soon as you've said it.

If he does leave under a cloud, which genuinely hope isn't the case, I'll still wish him all the best and thanks for the service to the club. He was part of the first team to lift the Prem for us, and for that he'll be remembered as a club legend in my book.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
Quote:
Saint Ted
I think it was the fact we didn't keep a dignified silience that has caused all this Tedge!

Indeed so let's hope they have learned their lesson

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:14
Just another example of player power in top level sport.

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 16:16
Bit more in the Chron:
[www.northamptonchron.co.uk]

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 17:06
Thanks Chris

Gatland's words are helpful in highlighting George's positive view of Saints and for me he is trying to appease the situation. The suggestion that George can leave his contract early is also helpful.

If George comes back we know he wants to come back. Equally there is a way out for all parties without needing to be protracted, messy and recriminatory, if the time for reconciliation has passed.

Garland could easily have used to situation to push an agenda of foreign clubs being detrimental for Welsh internationals. It's massively to his credit he's taken a conciliatory approach whilst protecting his player.

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 18:10
Good skills Mr Gatland, a very conciliatory stance, Hopefully both parties can work to recover from this spat.

COYS.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 20:53
What does it matter... if he doesnít want to play when available then stick him in training with the academy. No one is bigger than this club.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 21:26
To be honest wolfie, the best solution is gatlands if he doesn't want to play. Agree some mutual consent, one of the Welsh teams foots the bill for the rest of the season and we play someone who wants to play

HungryLikeTheWolf
07 March, 2018 21:41
yeah fine, just think we should be focusing on guys who want to wear the shirt and move on anyone that doesnít... Iím happy with ruthless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 21:41 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 21:55
Agreed, but if we can save £75k (at a guess) in the process that would help us

HungryLikeTheWolf
08 March, 2018 05:07
oh definitely, finesse it!

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 07:25
Nah, sod the money. Play him in the wandies to teach him some humility.

Not a great advert for welsh rugby and Iím a little ashamed at his behaviour and Gatlands comments.

Protectionism from the unions is not what rugby need right now.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 07:59
we all wanted a DoR who didn't just give passionate platitudes in interviews like Jim did (or, for Jim to change how he said things)

we now have complete directness with Gaffney, so have to recognise some things said will rock the boat.

HungryLikeTheWolf
08 March, 2018 08:47
Totally

If supporters have braved the cold weather and paid top end prices to watch us lose again, whilst a marquee wage player doesnít want to play.... well Iím all for the coaches outing that.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 08:57
Quote:
riverlodge
we all wanted a DoR who didn't just give passionate platitudes in interviews like Jim did (or, for Jim to change how he said things)
we now have complete directness with Gaffney, so have to recognise some things said will rock the boat.

Defentley, we need some straight talking to the players right now. Gaffney is here to sort them out, not make friends.

oldtoastersaint
oldtoastersaint (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:29
"we all wanted a DoR who didn't just give passionate platitudes in interviews like Jim did ..."

If I may point out two considerable false assumptions there riverlodge, firstly I always much preferred the club to be professionally represented by an invariably calm and considered Jim in any controversy rather than by an unprofessional hysterical, often irrational character such as a Cockerill or a Diamond. Which naturally gives the lie to your other assumption about your fellow posters all agreeing with you!

Would be great if certain posters in their rush to judgement were able to exhibit some of Jim's qualities of forbearance and not manage to convert a confused situation into an acrimonious one with little evidential basis for doing so in the first place.

I heartily endorse what SaintsEdward said and if George happens to read this he shouldn't be afraid of any negative reception when he next turns out for Saints, I'm confident these online detractors are very much in the minority amongst fans. Thanks for putting your body (and head!) on the line in the past George, good luck with your move for totally understandable domestic reasons, but don't feel you've completely burnt your bridges! If it came to a vote to stay at Saints you'd have a walk-in.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:44
There could be a deeper impact from this issue.

Forget who's right and who's wrong - the line has been crossed between player/coach confidentiality.

That will impact more than just George - potentially already strained relationships between the players and an 'interim' coaching set up will have worsened.

This season cannot end soon enough - the club desperately needs stability, the board has done its job, now Mr Boyd has a very tough job to do to create a stable set up and new culture to drive the club forward.

It will be very interesting to watch tomorrow's nights game to see what reaction this week get's from the players!

HungryLikeTheWolf
08 March, 2018 09:56
Jim was absolutely diabolical with the media, indeed IMHO it was his biggest weakness. He did not understand or respect the importance of open communication with the fans, and indeed the club as a whole disrespected it during his reign which led to a dislocation which the club are currently working hard to bridge. We all knew his interviews were vacuous twaddle.

Back to George. If he doesnít want to play for Saints then thatís the end of that. We only want men who passionately want to wear the shirt. Thanks for the previous efforts, sorry about your concussions, good luck but we have to move on. No more sentiment than that, no red carpet, no kneeling down subserviently hoping he reads comments here from us mere mortals. There are plenty of other saintly warriors who will deserve that attention - Christian Day, Ben Foden and the like who have fought tooth and nail for the GB&G, on less money and with less fanfare.

Just because some of us donít feel the need to bow down kissing playersí feet (especially those that arenít fussed about playing) doesnít mean any of us would be rude, ungentlemanly, disparaging, heckle (unless he drops an easy catch) etc. Most rugby fans arenít like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 09:59 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

HungryLikeTheWolf
08 March, 2018 10:01
Quote:
SuffolkSaint
There could be a deeper impact from this issue.
Forget who's right and who's wrong - the line has been crossed between player/coach confidentiality.

That will impact more than just George - potentially already strained relationships between the players and an 'interim' coaching set up will have worsened.

This season cannot end soon enough - the club desperately needs stability, the board has done its job, now Mr Boyd has a very tough job to do to create a stable set up and new culture to drive the club forward.

It will be very interesting to watch tomorrow's nights game to see what reaction this week get's from the players!

To be honest I think the guys will be more focussed on their pants first half last week and will be looking for a good start. The rest is noise, it seems the players like the environment Gaffney has created so I wouldnít have thought it will make much difference.

And agree canít wait for Boyd to arrive and sweep a lot of this rubbish away.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:38
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
Jim was absolutely diabolical with the media, indeed IMHO it was his biggest weakness. He did not understand or respect the importance of open communication with the fans, and indeed the club as a whole disrespected it during his reign which led to a dislocation which the club are currently working hard to bridge. We all knew his interviews were vacuous twaddle.

Perhaps he wanted to avoid the constant trial by media/social media such as the Sh#£storm created by Gaffney this week. Easier to shoot from the hip when you are here temporarily not so when you are here longer term. Somewhere in between the two I would suggest.

Being controversial and calling out players can be good to make a point but too much would undermine relationships

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:29
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf

Perhaps he wanted to avoid the constant trial by media/social media such as the Sh#£storm created by Gaffney this week. Easier to shoot from the hip when you are here temporarily not so when you are here longer term. Somewhere in between the two I would suggest.

Being controversial and calling out players can be good to make a point but too much would undermine relationships

I wouldn't say Jim was "diabolical" - he just preferred to give little away publicly and I have a certain sympathy with that approach. On the other hand this is IMO very unfair criticism of Gaffney who was asked a question he probably wasn't anticipating on a live radio interview. His instinct would be to tell the truth and it came out with no time to consider the potential ramifications. It has nothing to do with him being temporary - he's just a guy who believes in being straight with people

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:53
Nothing wrong with being straight.. also need to be media savvy as this episode hasnít shown anyone in a good light IMO.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:53
Not wanting to play on a week when his England colleagues are not even available is understandable in my book, especially as that's how we've managed him in the past.

Players are acutely aware of the impact playing too many games in a short window has on their form and injury risk. From George's perspective it must feel unfair to be expected to play for the club in the off weeks when other internationals are contractually not even available and are rested. The original agreement with Jim was eminently sensible, and it is entirely plausible he was not even aware the club would expect anything different this time.

I would like to see all parties take a deep breath, the club to apologise for dragging a misunderstanding or communication issue into the public domain, and publically welcome George to come back and play the last handful of games he was probably due to feature in.

Rugby is a professional game, but money should never come before dignity, fairness, and even handed conduct, or the game will lose its soul.

I want to see George run out in a Saints shirt for the last time on the final weekend of the season to a warm welcome.

He has been a Saint for several years and as a multi-capped Lion, is without doubt one of the best players ever to wear the shirt. His conduct on and off the pitch has been of the highest quality, and he deserves to receive our appreciation and good wishes.

Some of the stuff written about him in the last couple of weeks has made me ashamed of the club.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:03
Wouldn't disagree with most of that Marchingin except your last paragraph. I don't think the Club has written anything about it - other people have - so no reason to be ashamed of the Club

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:26
Also agree with most of it apart from being aware of playing too many games, heís been injured for 15 weeks this season and then away with wales when not. I think he owes us the games we want him to play

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 13:43
George is looked after by us and has been for 4 years. He is a winger also, so that is not the most demanding position on the pitch, hence I would expect jo to be able to play 80 mins of rugby once a week for a few weeks without issue.
If he was a prop who had played over 150 consecutive games, for example, then I might agree with you!

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 19:54
Perhaps there's a larger underlying issue here in that Jim had too many gentleman's agreements with some of the players that has split the team?

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 08:22
Quote:
tedge
Wouldn't disagree with most of that Marchingin except your last paragraph. I don't think the Club has written anything about it - other people have - so no reason to be ashamed of the Club

I mean by my fellow supporters - we are all part of what makes Saints

HungryLikeTheWolf
09 March, 2018 12:16
What exactly was written which made you ashamed ?

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 12:53
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
What exactly was written which made you ashamed ?

Some of the criticism of North has been OTT, not all on this particular forum but also social media.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net