rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

riverlodge
George North looked full of passion today
riverlodge (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:43
Looked to be where he wanted to be, with guys he wanted to be with.

taffman
Re: George North looked full of passion today
taffman (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:54
He certainly did. It just goes to show what can happen if you get the ball out to the wing! The Saints style of play last year and this, left a sense of frustration! [Gaffney would have been better advised to have commented about why this hadn't happened]. Well done GN, well done Wales.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:54
Sure did. Canít remember the last time he managed a turnover at the breakdown single handed.
Obviously his Ďissuesí subsided during the week!

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:57
A cynic might say that today was a high profile shop window for someone still in need of a contract for next season.
Fwiw, I'm a fan of his and think it's a real shame if his time with us ends like this.

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:01
He will be molly-coddled, kow-towed to and convinced, if he hasn't been already, that he should leave Saints immediately and I for one.

Garracc
Garracc (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:10
I think he did a turnover against Irish, stand to be corrected though. Big fan, but as stated above we never used him properly. Real shame he is leaving he would have been perfect next year.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:38
Good luck to George for the rest of his career. Just hope he learns to handle himself better in the future (silence speaks volumes).

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:50
If it takes someone a load of media coverage and internet criticism to achieve their ability then maybe he needs a psychologist and it suggests heís been coasting for us

taffman
taffman (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:57
Quote:
HungryLikeTheWolf
If it takes someone a load of media coverage and internet criticism to achieve their ability then maybe he needs a psychologist and it suggests heís been coasting for us

Based on your comment, one could then legitimately argue that despite the vast amount of media coverage, Courtney,Dylan nor Foden have achieved their full ability! .. one also has to note the increasing publicity around Hayward, Horne, Collins et al!

Brackleysaint
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:01
Not just down to getting the ball to him, he needed to adapt and to start working to get in the right positions to receive the killer pass. Would have done him good to have studied Flash and a few more top league players, he also needed to work on his defence. He's class but with more application could be totally outstanding. Shame it has come to this.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:06
Think we have had this thread in various guises about 4times now. There are those that donít like him and want rid and have no room for accepting a different side and those who maybe a bit more even handed. Faults on both sides for me.

saintsnuttall
saintsnuttall (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:44
yes north has been a good player and I think gagney was right to out him as he played for us against London irish to get in the wales team but he is also contracted to play he should just come back prove gafney wrong and play his last few games for saints and leave a legend not just a glory hunter but no player is bigger than any club but he signed comtract and should just honour it not just walk away from the club and fans who love him

HungryLikeTheWolf
11 March, 2018 22:41
Quote:
Walks11
Think we have had this thread in various guises about 4times now. There are those that donít like him and want rid and have no room for accepting a different side and those who maybe a bit more even handed. Faults on both sides for me.

aha of course, your view would be even handed and empathetic whereas the nasty other people hate him and want rid... ok.....

Iím not arsed, he hasnít pulled up trees here, seems a nice enough bloke, if he isnít bothered about playing for us and would rather move back to Wales now then cool.... I only want people here who want to wear the shirt especially when others do.

looking forward to us using marquee money on a key position, this move (Jimís) has been a failure however itís cut.

SuffolkSaint
SuffolkSaint (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 23:01
Could see it coming - precisely why I stuck him in my fantasy team this week!

saintsnuttall
saintsnuttall (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 23:55
I do agree if he doesn't want to play for us yes move on yes he is a nice bloke but he needs to put the record straight as he is a saint and us as supporters need answers if all this in press is true

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 01:04
Has North ever said that he doesn't want to play at N'ton to the end of the season? Don't believe so, in fact he has said very little. Yes, Gatland had a little go at the bosses at Saints, if anything, it is they who have made North unwelcome with their comments. That's why Gatland intervened.

Super off-load and a super run by North for his second try. The magic of off-loads, missing from the Saints game plan.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 06:17
Quote:
Eif Jones
Has North ever said that he doesn't want to play at N'ton to the end of the season? Don't believe so, in fact he has said very little. Yes, Gatland had a little go at the bosses at Saints, if anything, it is they who have made North unwelcome with their comments. That's why Gatland intervened.
Super off-load and a super run by North for his second try. The magic of off-loads, missing from the Saints game plan.

If they have made him unwelcome because he did not want to play for Saints, then they are justified. North could have come out and said that he does indeed want to play for us, but he has not. Saints are a club that have allowed him to play for Wales outside the window and allowed him time of to support girlfriend. We have done more than enough for him and paid him generously for it.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 08:20
Let's have him moved on. Injury prone and seldom interested in the game.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 09:41
Another thought might be ;
All those calling for less game time for our top players - part of the reason England look stale - could argue that George had the stamina and power due to the reduced game time
Mind you I thought he had the same passion when he came back from injury playing for saints

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 10:18
SaintsAsh, check Gatland's interview in full. Yes, North and Gatland have spoken about the incident and Gatland tells it as it was, North being quite complimentary of his time at N'ton. Unlike Gaffney and Dickens, North has kept his silence in public, needing to get mentally ready for his return as starter to the Wales team.

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 10:46
come on Eif, pull the other one!
George knows he has screwed up and Gatland and co are circling the wagons around him to protect him from the media.

To have let it go this far is a real mistake for him publicity wise, as everything he does now will always come back to the situation with saints.

He had a good game yesterday, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, it was Italy - the team who have lost 16 or 17 6N games on the trot. So as much as its a win and a good performance, it was against a T2 nation, and i dont think that mental preparation for that game would have been so different to a euro cup game or local derby.

Plus he is a seasoned international - look at Parisse - this guy is game after game a stand-out player and would probably have got into any international team in his prime, even the AB's. He has clocked up over a ton of caps and as Brian Moore said in commentary, his mental fortitude to keep coming back for more even though he knows the likely outcome is staggering. If GN had 10% of his grit he would be a much better player.

So, no, i dont buy the need to get mentally prepared for that game, and even if he did need to 'get into the zone', is a week not long enough??

The comment made by Gatland about GN worrying about being fired certainly says a lot about the actual situation and speaks volumes about who may be at fault here.

I know he is welsh, but so am i (well as welsh as he is, anyway), and i can see through the veneer or BS surrounding this pantomime act!

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:06
George played with passion for us when released by Wales the other week. That release came with a request that he play 60 minutes maximum so that he was ready to represent his country (which should be bigger than any club including The Saints).

At the time I felt it was the right thing to do to ignore that request and was glad he played for the full 80 minutes.

With hindsight I wonder if it was that 20 minutes extra time that has caused him to say "sorry boss not available this week, I need to be fit to represent my country next weekend".

If that is the case I do have a good deal of sympathy for George and for Warren Gatland, whom The Saints management snubbed, and I would love George to come and finish off the season with us, simply we are a stronger team with him than without.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:21
ďItís been a difficult couple of weeks, but itís been good to be in camp with a real focus,Ē said North.

ďIt was a case of looking at Italy and making sure it was full steam ahead.

ďHaving this game as a focus was a good thing for me.

ďTo get a start for your country means everything, itís all I work for.

ďTo get a chance to play in a great stadium like this in front of a great bunch of fans was great. Two tries was a bonus.Ē

Chron

Former Hollywood Saint
12 March, 2018 16:48
Its amazing what a bit of rest can do for you *

I have to say though, I don't want to read too much in to it, but on the Saints twitter page and Facebook there were updates on the England game, all with pics of the Saints contingent.

Yesterday there was no mention of North scoring tries anywhere from Saints official channels. Not even one wishing him luck in the game fro what I can see.

Speaks volumes, and is a little sad in my view.

FHS

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 18:47
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint
I have to say though, I don't want to read too much in to it, but on the Saints twitter page and Facebook there were updates on the England game, all with pics of the Saints contingent.

Yesterday there was no mention of North scoring tries anywhere from Saints official channels. Not even one wishing him luck in the game fro what I can see.

FHS

I completely agree with you. Toys and prams come to mind.

HungryLikeTheWolf
12 March, 2018 19:04
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
Quote:
Former Hollywood Saint

FHS

I completely agree with you. Toys and prams come to mind.

We should be lauding international achievements of a player that isnít bothered about playing for us and is seemingly about to leave before the end of the season?

More important things to worry about right now

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:04
Spot on TringSaint. There is only one reason George has stayed pretty quiet and it's because he knows he has screwed up. As I said on another thread, I think he seems like a really decent lad but has done himself no favours in not wishing to play for his employers : poor form young man !
Eif : Genuine question for you Sir.
Why do you go to Saints as you come across as having nothing but distain for the whole club ? As a Rugby fan as you clearly are, Wasps or Bedford aren't that far away. I am just intrigued.

Happywifehappylife
Happywifehappylife (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 22:41
Quote:
fleetg
Eif : Genuine question for you Sir.
Why do you go to Saints as you come across as having nothing but distain for the whole club ? As a Rugby fan as you clearly are, Wasps or Bedford aren't that far away. I am just intrigued.

I have to say that in all of Eif's posts he's never actually said he's ever attended a game at FG....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 22:43 by Happywifehappylife.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 01:35
I was there to see the failure versus Sale the other week. Saints lost their way by not seeking to refresh gradually their team post their AP win. Its been a very disappointing decline aided and abetted by ridiculous recruitment where obvious gaps in the team have been left vacant. Due to relegation, Mallinder had 2 recruitment periods and did well in those but since then things have fallen apart.

During a long relationship with the then Saints Youth, I got to know Picton, the Youth manager at the time, quite well and used to meet up with him at the old members bar post game. He became disappointed with what was going on at Saints and the last time I saw him he was wearing a Saracens scarf. I am similarly disappointed with Saints and its been a long time since I saw a top entertaining game at FG. I am serious about youth development, but because its so easy to recruit SH players of average standard, there is little to non going on at Saints, the academy seems to be there to ensure the extra grants from the RFU. We hear names but never see them in action, not from the bench for AP games and not even in the Anglo-Welsh.

The new coach has a tough task, a squad well past its best and little of immediate use from the academy. He may be able to attract a better standard SH player from his time coaching a Super Rugby franchise but we already have too many from that source.

Its so good to watch my childhood region playing so well with a large contingent of locally sourced players, many of whom went to the same school as I did. Wouldn't it be so much better if I could say the same thing watching at FG. This season's main Euro competition defined the failings of the AP as a league and, most certainly, the failings here at Saints, let's hope for a better 2018/19 season.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 07:01
Quote:
Wouldn't it be so much better if I could say the same thing watching at FG. This season's main Euro competition defined the failings of the AP as a league and, most certainly, the failings here at Saints, let's hope for a better 2018/19 season.

Yes it would indeed, but apparently they are not good enough. They will never be good enough, because you are never good enough until you have played and proven yourself one way or another. So we will just consign them to the not good enough to step up bracket for all eternity, never taking a risk on them because it will ruin their confidence if they play bad. So in case their confidence is ruined we never play them, Welsh regions fid out if they can step up or not because they have to (they cannot afford loads of foreign experiments.)

But I for one feel good about this as we are "safe" and safe has been working for the last 3 years.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 March, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Eif Jones
I was there to see the failure versus Sale the other week. Saints lost their way by not seeking to refresh gradually their team post their AP win. Its been a very disappointing decline aided and abetted by ridiculous recruitment where obvious gaps in the team have been left vacant. Due to relegation, Mallinder had 2 recruitment periods and did well in those but since then things have fallen apart.
During a long relationship with the then Saints Youth, I got to know Picton, the Youth manager at the time, quite well and used to meet up with him at the old members bar post game. He became disappointed with what was going on at Saints and the last time I saw him he was wearing a Saracens scarf. I am similarly disappointed with Saints and its been a long time since I saw a top entertaining game at FG. I am serious about youth development, but because its so easy to recruit SH players of average standard, there is little to non going on at Saints, the academy seems to be there to ensure the extra grants from the RFU. We hear names but never see them in action, not from the bench for AP games and not even in the Anglo-Welsh.

The new coach has a tough task, a squad well past its best and little of immediate use from the academy. He may be able to attract a better standard SH player from his time coaching a Super Rugby franchise but we already have too many from that source.

Its so good to watch my childhood region playing so well with a large contingent of locally sourced players, many of whom went to the same school as I did. Wouldn't it be so much better if I could say the same thing watching at FG. This season's main Euro competition defined the failings of the AP as a league and, most certainly, the failings here at Saints, let's hope for a better 2018/19 season.

Good post, Eif. Is this down to:-

1. Not enough talent in catchment area
2. Insufficient coaching to development that talent
3. Not recruiting properly for senior academy

?

taffman
taffman (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:07
Eif has certainly hit the nail on the head re 'progression' routes. It must be so soul destroying for those youngsters who work their way up into the senior academy, only to find that the AP clubs, prefer to buy in an experienced professional, rather than giving the opportunity to youngsters to acquire the necessary game time at the AP level.

Buying in players certainly sends a negative message to academy players who see themselves next in line for a chance, [once an injury/suspension occurs], only to find themselves knocked back as the club prefers to spend on experience, rather than develop young talent.

A good example of this has been in the 6 nations, where Wales, against Italy, used the opportunity to give a run out to those who are knocking on the door of International rugby. It certainly helps develop talented squads!

Hopefully the incoming DoR will address this and ensure that talent is nurtured and developed at the highest of levels. If he does, then it's exciting times ahead! If he doesn't ... well the writing is on the wall.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 March, 2018 10:23
Quote:
taffman
Eif has certainly hit the nail on the head re 'progression' routes. It must be so soul destroying for those youngsters who work their way up into the senior academy, only to find that the AP clubs, prefer to buy in an experienced professional, rather than giving the opportunity to youngsters to acquire the necessary game time at the AP level.
Buying in players certainly sends a negative message to academy players who see themselves next in line for a chance, [once an injury/suspension occurs], only to find themselves knocked back as the club prefers to spend on experience, rather than develop young talent.

A good example of this has been in the 6 nations, where Wales, against Italy, used the opportunity to give a run out to those who are knocking on the door of International rugby. It certainly helps develop talented squads!

Hopefully the incoming DoR will address this and ensure that talent is nurtured and developed at the highest of levels. If he does, then it's exciting times ahead! If he doesn't ... well the writing is on the wall.

Yes but are they good enough? Clearly the coaches donít think so...

Nath-coys
Nath-coys (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 11:03
It comes down too many factors in my opinion.

I think our Academy produces talent but it is being stifled.

Jim had been under the cosh for 3 years near enough, his reaction too that was too go with his tried and trusted to try and dig there way out of it.
I would of loved too have seen more youth get given a chance, but it would of been a brave call for Jim to do it.

I really hope Boyd does, we have a very good bunch at the moment. Not all of them will probably 'make it' as that is the nature of profressional sport. But I think we really do have some real prospects.
Among others I have real high hopes for, Grayson, Mitchell, Trinder, painter, Dingwall.
They have a look of a top player.

Another factor just in my opinion that is hurting these guys development is the structure of the Prem.
Every game is crucial in a tough league with playoffs, Europe qualification and relegation.
Coaches are constantly under pressure to win at all costs.
While the Pro 14 is still a highly competitive environment and there is still plenty to play for, without the threat of relegation it does offer a bit more freedom to the coaches.
Look at the Irish provinces and how they have managed there internationals game time, and the players that are getting the game time in there place are quite often Academy products.
Ringrose, carbery and lemur all playing Saturday......
On top of that how fresh do there senior internationals look, you can't say the same for England unfortunately.

Adding to the arguement about the pressure of the league it is shown in the majority of the clubs in the Prem will buy in ready made overseas replacements for injuries instead of playing academy players, of course if you don't have a player currently in the academy that is a forced decision.

Saints are quite guilty of this I feel, and have bulked there squad up with average recruitment for quick fixes.
Hutchinson - wasted talent will probably leave.
Tom Collins - looks like he might get wasted.
Ludlam -

And there are others, these players will have faults of course and things too work on.
But exposure too top rugby and good coaching is all that will improve these players.

Some will make the cut, some won't but you will never find out if they are not given a chance to firstly play and then improve.

Producing talent isn't easy and isn't quick, but the benefits are huge if you can get the right structures in place.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 11:12
really appreciate reading your analysis Eif (genuine, no asterisks)
as HLTW asks, you wonder if its lack of talent, inability to find it, inability to develop it or lack of commitment to 'giving it a chance' at top level

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 13:23
IMO it does almost totally boil down to relegation and the threat of it. Young players HAVE to be given reasonable chances to establish themselves but no coach in the AP will risk blooding them if it reduces the team's chance of winning a game. It seems that our best academy players make it to the all conquering Wanderers and then get stuck until they move on. Statistically few academy players will get even as far as being a "possible" for the first team but even if a steady flow of 2/3 a season getting a run in the first team could become routine it would be a great thing.

I know I rabbit on about relegation but this is what marks the difference between the Pro14 and the AP/Top 14 (watching Stade v Castres yesterday it was mentioned that one of the teams had only 4 French players in it). Until relegation is abolished I see nothing changing and Chris Boyd will come under the same pressure next season. So it doesn't matter how good they are - as Riverlodge asks above - it is just that they mostly aren't given a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 14:28 by tedge.

Stevie Myler's right boot
13 March, 2018 14:26
I disagree that you canít itís all about how you introduce them and allow them to grow in confidence and bed into the team. Other clubs manage it eg Saracens - Ben Spencer and Max Mallins, Sale the Curries etc. Our problem is we donít use the Wandies for what it was intended so then stifle their development at the first hurdle - how many players have we got that have seen nowhere near the first team? If you donít let them have that first rung on the ladder they are doomed.
Based on recent performance you would recommend anywhere but Saints if you were a young lad and wanted a chance

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:30
It would be interesting to know what has been included in Boyd's remit and whether he has been tasked with encouraging youth.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 March, 2018 16:53
Relegation?

After 6 years of being top 4 (guessing here) there wasnít a huge flow of academy guys into the first team. Lawes Hartley etc all before.....

Sale have been battling about mid-lower table for a while and also seem to bring youngsters through.... Newcastle too?

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 17:19
There 56 players listed as 1st Team on Saints website. Over half of those are academy products or from local teams.

Not all are 1st team regulars and some yet to make their debut, though others like Tom Collins, Jamie Elliot, Teimana Harrison, Mike Hayward, Courtney Lawes, Harry Mallinder, Ben Nutley, Tom Stehenson and Alex Waller have played substantial numbers of games, between 50 - 228 appearances. I don't think that is a bad return.

Bringing more young players into a losing team would not be a great idea at the moment. Saints need to get out of their current decline and then look to develop a small number (1 or 2) of the most promising members of the current crop and try to do the same each year.

Grayson and Hutchinson were given a go earlier in the season and were cannon fodder playing in beaten teams.

Ludlam has not for me shown that he has what it takes yet - bags of enthusiasm - but not quite there yet.

All need to be handled carefully, be given time to develop and the very best, eventually play 200 games in a more stable 1st team.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 March, 2018 17:33
Quote:
195Rich
There 56 players listed as 1st Team on Saints website. Over half of those are academy products or from local teams.
Not all are 1st team regulars and some yet to make their debut, though others like Tom Collins, Jamie Elliot, Teimana Harrison, Mike Hayward, Courtney Lawes, Harry Mallinder, Ben Nutley, Tom Stehenson and Alex Waller have played substantial numbers of games, between 50 - 228 appearances. I don't think that is a bad return.

Bringing more young players into a losing team would not be a great idea at the moment. Saints need to get out of their current decline and then look to develop a small number (1 or 2) of the most promising members of the current crop and try to do the same each year.

Grayson and Hutchinson were given a go earlier in the season and were cannon fodder playing in beaten teams.

Ludlam has not for me shown that he has what it takes yet - bags of enthusiasm - but not quite there yet.

All need to be handled carefully, be given time to develop and the very best, eventually play 200 games in a more stable 1st team.

Tei is 25, Waller is 28, Haywood is 26, Jamie/Ben N/Tom C/Rory canít make the bench during internationals - are they just not good enough or should they be playing?

Then a gap down to Harry (22), James G (19), Alex M (20)....

So thereís currently no first team squad regulars from the academy below the age of 25 apart from Harry?

Is that right?

Even if I have missed a couple itís hardly pulling up trees output-wise.

Stevie Myler's right boot
13 March, 2018 17:44
I just think we are poor at integrating them - look at how Quins protected Marcus Smith so he wasnít exposed and compare that to how we let Grayson be hammered with Sinoti and Goneva attacking his channel. The senior players have a duty to help these lads bed in and not throw them under the bus

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 17:54
Said it before and again
If we persist with Trainee coaches in the academy training the trainees the end result will never be of the right quality.
It wouldn't happen in business why would it work in rugby
Good experienced quality coaches would produce higher quality better trained players who would have more chance of succeeding or quickly see that they would never make it and allow them a different career.
If its worth doing its worth doing well.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:05
When you look at the backs especially who have come through the academy:

9 - No academy players have prospered for a long time. Johnny Howard the last with significant game time? Weíve been using Dickson Dickens Powell Groom Reinach Kahn primarily.

10 - No players developed with decent game time since Myler. Those with game time are Lamb Geraghty JJ Francis Spencer

Wing - Ashton Diggin Elliott Collins we have developed 13 years.

Centres - Stephenson on the cusp but looks to be very out of favour. No centre developed since Jon Clark and be came from Bristol. Our main ones have been Downey Burrell Pisi . Ansbro may have gone on to better things.

Full back - Mallinder. But again no full back developed here since before Reihana. Foden Tuala our main ones.

Our development of our academy players has been quite terrible.

HungryLikeTheWolf
13 March, 2018 22:03
Ashton a tad generous to suggest we fully developed him, came on big money as a Wigan shining star... granted learnt the code here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net