rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

steve battison
Are England doomed to finish 5th
batty (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:16
Unless we beat Ireland this is the likely senatio. How the mighty will have fallen.

tedge
Re: Are England doomed to finish 5th
tedge (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:17
England isn't that bothered about the 6N - it's the RWC that matters and they will be ready for it.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:27
Courtney is out of the squad and having a scan on a knee injury. He's been one of the more consistant players even whne played out of position. Hopefully it is nothing serious and he will recover quickly.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:49
For me I only care about the Grand Slam or not being last

The rest who cares, no interest in just winning 6Nations either

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 21:17
Pile on at the bookies for them to reach the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup within 24 hours of the result next week, it's very unlikely you'll find a better price.

Innings
Innings (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 23:01
when did you last see a bookie driving a cheaper car than your own?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 01:27
tedge, you make it sound as if it's just England who prioritise the RWC, try again. The present England squad built its winning record against countries who were either recovering from the last RWC or preparing for the next one or both, not forgetting the effects of the Lions tour in between.

Clap them and say fantastic when they win, but say its immaterial when they lose, sounds good. Unfortunately Wales supporters like me don't like that.

The real test of England's Grand Slam prowess is when they can complete it with both the 'Blues' at home, and with the 'Blues' away. Just the away one for this England generation so far. Not so easy when you have to travel to both Dublin and Cardiff

HungryLikeTheWolf
12 March, 2018 02:20
England have beaten Wales on the last 4 occasions
England have also won a World Cup unlike any other home nation or Ireland

And theyíve played in 3 finals unlike Wales who havenít played in any?

England are ranked 2nd in the world but maybe deserve to move to 3rd behind Ireland. Wales are 7th.

Despite those stats when Wales beat Italy, who are not even the 6th best side in Europe, by a 24 point margin at home, a few welsh supporters get all chippy on a England domestic clubs message board

Perhaps I have misread that, apologies.

MESSAGES->author
OldPete (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 07:15
I would not like it if those who don't support England ( which includes myself ) were not allowed to be chippy on this message board.

Otherwise I don't get Eif's take on things - to my mind I am always amazed that England don't win everything every year - with the resources at their disposal.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 07:51
Most Wales fans I ever speak to are only interested in one thing.. beating England. Thatís the limited ambition of your average Welsh rugby fan. Itís all a bit pathetic now and the game has moved on from just 4 fixtures a year in the 5 nations as was.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 09:20
Winning the 6 Nations is easy. Even Wales can do it *

Seriously. We all take it in turns being good (except Italy of course). If your on top this year chances are you wont be next year or at least the one after. Why worry? If your team wins more than it looses your doing well because there are plenty of countries who would love to be in your shoes.

I get a bit fed up with this every year. We all get on when were in the pub. We all get on in the stadia and surrounding restaurants, bars, trains and streets. Why is it people choose to ruin the Internet by being miserable old baggages?

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 09:43
Quote:
Eif Jones
tedge, you make it sound as if it's just England who prioritise the RWC, try again. The present England squad built its winning record against countries who were either recovering from the last RWC or preparing for the next one or both, not forgetting the effects of the Lions tour in between.
Clap them and say fantastic when they win, but say its immaterial when they lose, sounds good. Unfortunately Wales supporters like me don't like that.

The real test of England's Grand Slam prowess is when they can complete it with both the 'Blues' at home, and with the 'Blues' away. Just the away one for this England generation so far. Not so easy when you have to travel to both Dublin and Cardiff

Except that I DON'T clap them and say fantastic when they win - I am just not so bothered about England as I am about Saints and club rugby. Your view is the same as many people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland where the 6N provides an opportunity to beat the English at something (for understood historical reasons). Most English people just don't care that much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:14 by tedge.

John Rickerd
John Rickerd (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 10:49
Quote:
batty
Unless we beat Ireland this is the likely senatio. How the mighty will have fallen.

This thread has taken on a Wales v England discussion. I would like to comment on Ireland's performances.

1 They were very lucky to beat France.
2 Scotland opened them up on four ocassions and blew them all.

Not saying England will win next Saturday but I would not be at all surprised.

Taffy Chris
Taffy Chris (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:34
Funny how as supporters we all have our favourite levels of rugby / tournaments.

To me this championship has highlighted why the six nations is by far the best of all.

Some superb rugby by all teams.
On another day the table could have a completely different look.
The Irish have been the most clinical team, and have taken chances.

With one game left any one of four teams can finish 2nd - 5th.

I think England will beat Ireland
Scotland could slip up in Italy
Wales could lose at home to France

From a Welsh point of view the emergence of several new players over the autumn and this six nations is very inspiring. Strength in depth we didnít know was there.
Patchell has to start at 10 moving forward.

Scotland need to grow in confidence a bit more. The first 10 minutes in Cardiff knocked them for six.
But they have the right idea with a smaller more mobile pack.

England need a more mobile pack,far too heavy and they were shown up a bit unfortunately. As were the French pack.
I think Eddie Jones knows this. Get Billy V back at 8, find a proper quick smaller 7, and leave Lawes at 6..... he has been one of the players of the tournament.

It needs to be looked at how it is...... a wonderful tournament with passion and tradition.
Whilst also allowing high quality prep for the World Cup.

HungryLikeTheWolf
12 March, 2018 11:43
I think it has been a poor tournament

Very low quality of rugby

France vs Ireland was the most boring game I have watched for a very long time.

Super rugby is a far better product

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:45 by HungryLikeTheWolf.

ramseysaint
ramseysaint (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 19:38
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
Eif Jones

Except that I DON'T clap them and say fantastic when they win - I am just not so bothered about England as I am about Saints and club rugby. Your view is the same as many people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland where the 6N provides an opportunity to beat the English at something (for understood historical reasons). Most English people just don't care that much.

From my Scottish perspective, as much I enjoyed the win over England the other week that win could not compensate for our teams defeat by Exeter, for me it is Saints first. Yes it would be great if Scotland could ever win the 6N but give me a win over Tigers any day. Oh and for me (and this may upset someone on here) beating Wales is more important than beating England especially after the language Scarlet's fans directed towards my daughter many years ago while attending a match in Wales while a steward watched smiling.

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 01:54
Surely, Ramsey, its possible to support or follow more than one team at a time. I celebrate wins by the Scarlets without going overboard, more so as they have done well in the Euro. In the same way I celebrate wins by Wales but again without going overboard. Unfortunately, following Saints over the last few seasons has been hard with very little to celebrate. I go to Bedford when Saints play away and enjoy their wins. These 4 teams are in different streams in my brain so I don't have reason to compare them. Even my trips with the Lions in SA, NZ and OZ are also in different streams but I will never forgive the idiot who coached them so disastrously in NZ a few moons ago.

taffman
taffman (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 08:11
Quote:
Eif Jones
Surely, Ramsey, its possible to support or follow more than one team at a time. I celebrate wins by the Scarlets without going overboard, more so as they have done well in the Euro. In the same way I celebrate wins by Wales but again without going overboard. Unfortunately, following Saints over the last few seasons has been hard with very little to celebrate.

+1 - though replace Scarlets with Ospreys! (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
Wrench (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 08:30
Assume you mean Gatland there Eif? with the way the test series panned out a drawn series was a real disappointment. Could have been a win with better coaching and selections....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net