GOD
We think our ST prices are high? Check out Sarries
Saintsby (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:36

sainttim
Re: We think our ST prices are high? Check out Sarries
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:42
ouch - Not surprised they are not renewing.

Considering they don't regularly sell out someone must think they have a lot of people willing to pay more to watch.

Guildford Saint
Guildford Saint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:46
Wheels are starting to come off there. I take it theyre looking to use Groupon as their ticketing administrator going forward 😂

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:53
thats one way of making up the investment shortfall

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:27
More than 1k for a platinum ticket!?!?!? More than a 300 price jump between seasons!?!?!? I really feel for Sarries supporters on that one. Pretty shonky way to treat your loyal supporters.

Perhaps they could switch allegiances - Northampton is only a 50min drive from Barnet...

Flapjack
Flapjack (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:34
Wow.

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:47
So on the assumption that they get 16 home games (inc trips to Wembley) that works out at 64 a game or roughly 80p a minute of game time.

Ye Gods!sad smiley

TringSaint
TringSaint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:52
With only a handful of supporters and a desire to drive down the shortfall, its the only option to hike season ticket prices.
As others have said, wheels, wagon, fallen off!!

MESSAGES->author
Stockers (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:00
Law of Diminishing Returns?

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:18
Quote:
TringSaint
With only a handful of supporters and a desire to drive down the shortfall, its the only option to hike season ticket prices.
As others have said, wheels, wagon, fallen off!!

Isn't this a little premature? They may well win the Premiership this season and were this any season other than one post-Lions then they probably would have challenged for the Champions Cup too. Obviously behind the scenes at Allianz Park there is a great deal of readjustment happening, and if they have to join the rest of us in the real world then that is only a good thing but the wheels haven't fallen off quite yet.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:59
Personally, I think they need something bigger and better on the underground network, if Wray's wallet matches their ambition.

They've had an incredible run these last 4 years - but where does it get them? They can never be self sustaining at the top of the table with a 10k capacity.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:43
Before we get too precious, lets not forget that certain areas of FG have been re-categorized for next season albeit with some respite ( temporary ? ) for existing STH's in the areas affected. Let us not forget that concessions are also not available in some parts of the stadium.

Once they smell blood.......

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:39
It just goes to show how unhealthy rugby is. Clubs are making huge losses despite increases in sponsorship and airtime and money from the rfu. Fans are being squeezed for everything they have at club rugby and international games. Players wages keep rising. The A league is not working. We are at the whim of tv companies regarding scheduling. Rugby will soon reach a point of no return. Id be happy to bring down the salary cap by 500k scrap marquee signings and allow clubs some breathing space. Rugby is not popular enough in the UK and attendances are not high enough for liberties to be taken like in football.

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:36
Quote:
MarchingIn
Personally, I think they need something bigger and better on the underground network

Too right. I live in North London and it takes me nearly the same amount of time to get to games at Allianz Park as it does to Franklin's Gardens! Thank goodness it's only once a season, it's one of my least favourite grounds to visit (regardless of Saints performances there).

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:22
Quote:
andysaint
It just goes to show how unhealthy rugby is. Clubs are making huge losses despite increases in sponsorship and airtime and money from the rfu. Fans are being squeezed for everything they have at club rugby and international games. Players wages keep rising. The A league is not working. We are at the whim of tv companies regarding scheduling. Rugby will soon reach a point of no return. Id be happy to bring down the salary cap by 500k scrap marquee signings and allow clubs some breathing space. Rugby is not popular enough in the UK and attendances are not high enough for liberties to be taken like in football.

+1, but flip side, if you dropped the cap, what would happen with squad sizes, look at squad sizes over the last couple of years, across the board they have mostly shrunk!

the increase of salary cap was meant to enable bigger squads, if you drop the cap you likely to put more onto the players... Maybe have a mandatory A league?, so your cap has to have a squad big enough for this as well?

its an increase in professional agents getting involved now days.

Or come to an agreement with the Players Union over salaries and time playing? to look at lowering both?

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:23
Andysaint, you forgot to mention that the owners voted through an unaffordable increase in salary cap which, in truth, has done next to nothing in improving the standard of the rugby.

GOD
Saintsby (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:34
Ocasionally Eif makes valid points and leaving aside any 'bias' has valuable input like the above which I broadly agree with.

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:10
No one forces clubs to pay up to the limit, in fact it is hard to think the Newcastle squad costs as much as the Saints squad for example, or Quins or Bath or Glaws for that matter.

MESSAGES->author
skybluesaint (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:18
I doubt that the "wheels will fall off", but it will be interesting to observe a possible gradual diminution in the size and/or quality of the Sarries' squad. They have loads of talented youngsters coming through, but their salary demands will shoot up in due course as each contract comes up for renewal.

Of course, another billionaire backer might appear, but in the meantime they will have to make do with a mere millionaire, who might be unwilling to fund the extra losses caused by two marquee players' salaries, which could be approaching a million pounds a year on top of the cap?

Which reminds me of the old joke: "how do you become a millionaire?" "Make a billion and buy a rugby club".

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:33
Neil

It is my understanding that participation in the A league is a mandatory requirement of being in the Premiership. Ironic that some of the big spenders treat the A league with contempt.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:37
Quote:
HerbieSaint
Quote:
MarchingIn
Personally, I think they need something bigger and better on the underground network

Too right. I live in North London and it takes me nearly the same amount of time to get to games at Allianz Park as it does to Franklin's Gardens! Thank goodness it's only once a season, it's one of my least favourite grounds to visit (regardless of Saints performances there).

That's "typical bloody London". With some trains under 50 minutes now, you could get from Franklin's Gardens to Euston in an hour. There are parts of zone 2 that are an hour from Euston in the rush hour!

I don't think the relative isolation of Allianz Park from the rail network / underground helps with away attendances as a lot of people have an understandable aversion to venturing inside the M25 by car. I can't help wondering if they'd have been better off finding a ground further out of London if nothing on the transport network was available. They are a bit 'stuck in no man's land' at Allianz Park. I guess they went for it for emotional reasons of being "a proper London club" but even if they get permission to go beyond 10,500 more than once a year, it'll never be ideal location wise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net