rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Stevie Myler's right boot
Americanising the Prem
16 April, 2018 14:55
With the announcement today of Bristol becoming Bristol Bears and rumoured Gloucester Lions due to be announced is this the result of an Americanisation of the league for the new sponsors?
To American audiences Bears vs Lions is more marketable than Bris vs Glos especially with their franchise model
Thankfully we are already the Saints.
On a side note do not google Bristol Bears if of a sensitive disposition or at work :0)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 14:57 by Stevie Myler's right boot.

BrianB
Re: Americanising the Prem
BrianB (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:15
When I googled it the first result was Bristol RFC! Apparently, the club is to enter an exciting new era!

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:20
"Gloucester Tractors" would get my vote!

16 April, 2018 15:23
Quote:
BrianB
When I googled it the first result was Bristol RFC! Apparently, the club is to enter an exciting new era!

Obviously paid a fair whack to get top ranking.

Those werenít the bears that were top ranking when RIL broke the news ;0)

16 April, 2018 15:24
Quote:
MarchingIn
"Gloucester Tractors" would get my vote!

Bath still to go

Bath Buddies? ;0)

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:37
Bath Buddies VS Bristol Bears

Referee - Nigel Owens
Commentator- Gareth Thomas

Time to up the ante and show those football twerps that a real man's sport doesn't care what floats your boat!

Corkst
Corkst (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:21
And the Americans are kicking off Major League Rugby this month (apologies if this has been done recently) with mostly normal monikers :-

[en.wikipedia.org]

Good to see that the stadiums they're using are on the small side - better to build things organically.

16 April, 2018 16:43
Quote:
MarchingIn
Bath Buddies VS Bristol Bears
Referee - Nigel Owens
Commentator- Gareth Thomas

Time to up the ante and show those football twerps that a real man's sport doesn't care what floats your boat!

With match balls sponsored by Grindr ;0)

16 April, 2018 17:27
We need to help Bath as they havenít got a new name yet. Answers on a postcard
BATH
Bombs
Buddies
Times
Towels
Sheets (Go the Sheets)
Plugs
Or Shower? (Always good to have punctuation)
Rooms
Wraths

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:39
Horrible - Wolfie will love it !

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:26
Did Gloucester become the Shoguns for a while a few years ago as part of a sponcership deal?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:28
Bristol Shoguns

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:04
My good lady suggests "Bath Buns" and "Bristol Bees" as long as "Coventry Wasps" don't object.

195Rich
195Rich (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:13
"Gloucester Old Spots" anyone - especially given the state of the pitch and having a shed nearby?

ancient mariner
ancient mariner (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:25
I posted this on the wrong topice - senior moment!

Anyone else remember watching the Saints play the Chicago Lions some years ago?

They played a very different game with one memorable "quaterback pass" from one side of the field to the wing on the other side, as well as a "statue of liberty" play.

The FH appeared to throw a similar pass, but dropped the ball behind his back as he threw his arm forward. I think the scrum half or centre, running in the oppiosite direction, caught it and ran up the "wrong" side, while everyone else was following a non-existant ball.

Saints were winning easily, so in the second half we cheered on the Lions as a reward for their exciting play and non-stop effort.

Very memorable!

StGonne
StGonne (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:52
I donít understand this obsession with gearing the prem to Americans. If Americans are going to take up rugby, and I really hope that they do, itís going to be Super Rugby that entices them. With all due respect, to the neutral, Hurricanes vs Crusaders is simply more exciting than London Irish away at Quins

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:41
Change is needed and you cannot deny the Americans know how to do advertisement. When you look at NASCAR vs Formula 1, NASCAR is far more relatable as you can identfy sponsors products used on a daily basis. Who here has a Rolex and drinks Martinis daily as found in F1?

Not everything is done right, the WWE entrance at the US GP was cringeworthy but they gave it a go and it was a talking point and publicity.

There is a lot to like about rugby in this country which should not be forgotten about but it should be built upon and if that means employing some of the American methods then go for it. I know a lot here had a downer on MK but the club gave it a go and had it been done correctly it may have worked.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:44
Iím afraid they are playing it - fastest growing sport

They will and do follow the European Game. They love their history, where the game was invented etc. Iíve got American friends that already fly over to go to Twickenham from NY. Irish ex pats will follow them etc

Corbs presents NBC coverage of the Prem, US networks know what theyíre doing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net