rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Marching On
NEWS; New Premiership Rugby Cup
Marching On (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:22
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

MESSAGES->author
No more Anglo Welsh Cup
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:02
The Newcastle board have a long thread about the Welsh teams pulling out of the Anglo Welsh cup.
I wonder what will be there in its place/
I wonder how the season ticket matches will be switched about?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

MESSAGES->author
Re: No more Anglo Welsh Cup
Matthew (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:29
As a temporary fix, go to 4 groups of 3 teams, with home and away fixtures. Put some rules in place for average team age or something like that to keep the competition developmental while keeping it from being entirely an A-league cup.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:31
The RP mentioned 4 groups of 3. I doubt if there will be any artificial age limits . No competition the following year due to RWC.

Angus67
Angus67 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:42
To be different how about calling in some teams from elsewhere in the World ? Wouldn't it be interesting to see some teams we have never encountered before?

Or, do we really need the AW ?

Themanwho
Themanwho (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:49
Take it back to the old powergen cup formula!

Orrell vs saints in something like 2002. Best game ever

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:39
Well, first and foremost, those who have renewed have alteady committed to paying for 11 league games, three Euro pool games AND two domestic cup games. Therefore there must be an alternative domestic cup competition.

My plan would be a straight knockout competition. 12 Prem clubs, 12 Championshipmclubs and eight from the National league. Prem clubs and four from Championship will be seeded to play away in Round One - this would allow smaller clubs a chamce to get one over a bigger fish. Second round would again be seeded but take your chance on home or away. Third round Quarter final straight draw. Semi-final home and away. A team that reaches the final will have played six games with at least one game at home. No players with full International caps will be eligible to play in any game thus allowing an element of a development competition. Problem lies with the unloved British and Irish Cup Competition which will would have to go and I am guessing the provinces would not be too worried about that !

Random thoughts........!!!

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:57
discounting players with international caps would probably disadvantage Championship clubs more than Premiership e.g. Myler wouldn't be able to play for LI

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:19
Honestly, if your giving a home match to a smaller club then having some stars on show will help boost their gates.

I have always been a fan of more interaction with the lower English leagues. Shortly someone will say its dangerous playing against these "weaker" teams. To that person i stick out my tongue.

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:22
I must be missing something Mobbs ( it's been a long week already). You rightly state that season tickets holdets have paid for 2 domestic home cup games. How does that stack up with a straight knockout ?
I like the idea of a straight knockout but that is simply unfeasibly for the coming season

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 05:50
I would go something along the lines of wendy balls FA cup.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:05
There was a post on the Bath site that mentioned the Rugby Paper article - said there would be an emphasis on local rivalries, so presumably the 4 groups of 3 will be semi-geographical, and play home & away to get the 2 home games each.
That's OK for the first season, but you'd need to mix them up a bit each year.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:07
Telegraph article - "derby day" round
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Stevie Myler's right boot
10 May, 2018 07:12
Opens the door for a 14 team Prem

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:59
How?

In fact 14 teams will be harder to manage for a cup format.

Are you going to be Dan Biggars right boot next season btw

fair_weather_fan
10 May, 2018 08:01
Also noted in the Torygraph article that the Irish wont be participating in the A league next season. Presumably budget constraints but its hard to develop an academy without it

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:06
No easy answer but clubs cannot charge same prices for less games......they could of course but they shouldn't!

Four groups of three then - Falcons, Sale, Wasps
- Saints, Tigers, Worcester.
- Exeter, Bristol, Bath
- Sarries, Quins, Gloucester

Not easy if you want to promote local derbies. I put Wasps in the northern group because they are perennial nomads and I cannot stand the Ricoh !

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:36
The Telegraph says 3 groups of 4 - no idea at all how that's going to work, unless you keep the local rivals (for example Saints & Tigers) in separate groups but guarantee they play each other every year?
Maybe clubs have to declare their "local rival"? Do Bath select Bristol or Gloucester?

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:38
The competition has never worked since it was moved to the international windows. The Welsh clubs made it very low priority as they lose too many players to the internationals. Meanwhile, many of the English clubs, Saints being one, lose sight of its development terms of reference.

10 May, 2018 09:29
Quote:
fair_weather_fan
How?
In fact 14 teams will be harder to manage for a cup format.

Are you going to be Dan Biggars right boot next season btw

Get rid of the cup competition completely - A 14 team Prem resolves a lot of the problems re the ring fence question LI plus on current trajectory Ealing into Prem.
Have a cup for League winner in addition to the Prem Final
There is too much noise for this not to happen in the near future. For final place bottom in Prem plays top of Championship - winner gets the spot.

And no I wonít be Danís boot ;0)

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:09
If I read this correctly there will be 4 group games followed by semifinals and a final. Can anyone explain how to get 4 group games out of 3 groups of 4?

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:20
Three group winners and best runner up

rugbymel
Re: NEWS; New Premiership Rugby Cup
rugbymel (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:56
Playing the other teams in the group will yield 3 games. Perhaps the 4th game is where the derby element comes in. Saints always in a different group from Tigers and play them each year?

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:03
Well it makes more sense than the recent AW format. I just hope we Avoid Saracens for a while. We need to regroup before we face them more than twice per season.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:14
If the group stages are a random draw, we could face Sarries, Chiefs, Wasps and Tigers! COYS

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:31
Same boring old opponents as league games

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 13:11 by tedge.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:41
The temptation of going for the prize money and therefore fielding full strength teams will be too much for some. This could be a good revenue stream so younger players will still not get a chance?

ancient mariner
ancient mariner (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:47
If our derby is v Tigers, which team is Wasps' derby partner now?

JRM
JRM (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:56
Quote:
tedge
Same boring old opponents as league games

There lies the root of Rugby's problem, there must be plans to play against more teams from wherever, European or lower leagues. If not I think the game will die of boredom. 'Oh it is second week in September Saints must be playing Quins.'

So for your season ticket you get to see a max of 3 different teams a year. Glad I didn't bother.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:56
Potential "derby" games:

Bristol v Exeter
Gloucester v Bath
Northampton v Leicester
Wasps v Worcester
Harlequins v Saracens
Newcastle v Sale (not really a derby but the nearest geographically)

fair_weather_fan
10 May, 2018 19:06
It doesn't say anywhere what the playing format will be apart from 3 groups of 4 teams. So the playing format could be like the AW with teams playing teams from the other 2 groups. Selection of the best runner up may be controversial therefore.

The trouble is the Prem is already a single group with qualification for a knock - out stage so this tournament is no different only shorter.

The Welsh element will be missed.

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 15:46
Boring and a waste of time . May as well let the squads have a rest.

Saintly Pursuit
Saintly Pursuit (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:25
Quote:
St.Sinner
Boring and a waste of time . May as well let the squads have a rest.

Sure and then lose in the region of half a million quid of income.

11 May, 2018 17:02
14 team prem by the back door

MESSAGES->author
Le marseillais (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 06:44
Do you know why the Anglo Welsh cup has ended ?

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 16:18
The Welsh teams pulled out. Many potential reasons. I will allow Eif to give the facts as he knows all things Welsh winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
Le marseillais (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 18:55
Thank you.
All the best for the next season.

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net