rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

saintsfella
Any news on forwards coach?
saintsfella (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:11
Slightly worrying weíre seemingly yet to fill this in my opinion....

Saint Jericho
Re: Any news on forwards coach?
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:25
I reckon it will end up being Dowson. Just a hunch.

Saint Jericho
Saint Jericho (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:26
With Franks in charge of the scrum.

David Tavener
David Tavener (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:18
Why is it worrying? They donít start till July 1st anyway. Add to that Boyd isnít here yet, are people worried he isnít here yet too?

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:21
In an ideal world Saints will drip feed news every fortnight which we can then use as news articles and keep the message board running over the off season!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:34
I heard the announcement was imminent a week or so ago so not sure why its been delayed. Im pretty sure it won't be Dowson, it would be a mistake IMO to put him in such a role this early into his coaching career.

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:34
Worrying because Boyd has signed to turn up on the 1st July or whenever he gets here. As far as weíve been told we donít have anyone signed up to look after the forwards. Given how our coaching set up played out last season, I would describe this as worrying. Do you disagree Mr Tavener?

Seemingly as things stand we have about 5/6 weeks to sign an improvement on Dorian West.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:35
Quote:
saintsfella
Worrying because Boyd has signed to turn up on the 1st July or whenever he gets here. As far as weíve been told we donít have anyone signed up to look after the forwards. Given how our coaching set up played out last season, I would describe this as worrying. Do you disagree Mr Tavener?
Seemingly as things stand we have about 5/6 weeks to sign an improvement on Dorian West.

given his last 3 years of output I would suggest no panic then

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:48
No doubt Saints have been active since West announced he was leaving (if not before) but top quality and AVAILABLE coaches do not grow on trees. If they are so good that they are in post they have to be poached and perhaps Saints can't afford that. Otherwise you are looking at those who are unemployed (why ?) or a promising younger one looking for a promotion, perhaps from the Championship. These things do take time and as others have said the person need not be in post until pre-season starts.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:32
the future scrum coach may still be under contract and the club has agreed not to release the news until their season ends.

there are still the play-offs, Pro 14, Top 14 and Super Rugby are still going. perhaps any future coach is still working and their current club would prefer to not upset the team.

There's still time to sign a coach, and if we could sign them as close to pre-season as possible, it means we won't be paying for their time off.

acl saint
acl saint (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:37
In Boyd we trust!!!

Heís no lemon, he knows what heís doing.

Green behind the ears he isnít!

BrianB
BrianB (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:54
I think the last we heard Boyd was conducting interviews when he was here last.

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:36
I donít think we would be sensible in any way heading j to a new season without one. Look at the effect Mark Bakewell has at Tigers (bar a poor finish to the season- WHEYYYY!). Fair points that there might be good reason to delay announcement but I would certainly be worried about not having one for a new season.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 15:32
Quote:
saintsfella
Just because somethings not been announced doesn't mean there isn't a coach sorted.

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 15:48
Don't panic!

saintsfella
saintsfella (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 16:15
Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
saintsfella
Just because somethings not been announced doesn't mean there isn't a coach sorted.

Agreed. Are you confident we have though? All Iím saying is so sincerely hope we have someone signed or ready to sign for the new season. Going into next season without one would be a nightmare IMHO.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 16:26
Bloody Boyd
What's he playing at.
First he lets all those high quality players leave all of them have been snapped up by clubs higher than us in the league.
Second he signs Haskell,
third, he hasn't appointed a forwards coach !!!
What next ??

He hasn't started the job yet and already his track record is appalling ******

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 16:36
You really have to be careful when recruiting new coaches - if the lesson of expensive contracts wasn't learned with JM and DW it jolly well should have been. If it means waiting a season to get the man you want it might be worth a temporary or in-house appointment to tide them over.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 17:15
That sounds great in theory tedge, but it's harder to recruit from the championship.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:18
Quote:
Saint Stokey
That sounds great in theory tedge, but it's harder to recruit from the championship.

Why ?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 18:26
I believe heís suggesting we may be relegated which is twaddle

Quins far worse

MESSAGES->author
St_Bart (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 06:33
Don't panic I'm sure it's in hand and will come on firm recommendation from a legend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net