rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Stevie Myler's right boot
Unbelievable
15 May, 2018 13:30
The amount of procrastination on this site re Boydís signing of Haskell is unreal. We canít offer top tier European Rugby next season so that would disqualify a lot of potential targets who we would like plus also where players are in a World Cup cycle . We are at the start of a journey and to expect all the pieces in place for day one is unrealistic. Hask as a day one signing on a reduced rate one year deal with a World Cup as incentive is great business and I fully expect him to tear the Prem up - Iím calling it now as him being in next years Prem team of the season. Now if he was a year 2 Boyd signing I would probably question the logic of his signature (subject to how he was playing) but at present and based on where we are Iím comfortable with it and understand the logic.
I fully expect another sizeable clear out of players next year and Boyd to already have identified what pieces he wants in place on the board
As the Mighty Take That said ĎJust try and have a little patienceí

Brackleysaint
Re: Unbelievable
Brackleysaint (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:35
Well said, I can't believe some of the comments, especially those questioning Chris Boyd's decisions so soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 14:05 by Brackleysaint.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:48
+1

although to be fair the comments were far more positive than I was expecting

unfortunately there are some who enjoy having a permanent bone dry glass. these are probably the same people who moaned constantly about Jim & co and are now writing off Mr Boyd before he has started.

I don't think recruitment has completely ended yet and once all the business is done that is the time to criticise or bemoan perceived gaps in the squad. I think there will be 3 more arrivals at least yet.

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:54
Have I missed something? Haven't been fussed to read all 100 odd comments contents on the Haskell thread, but not sure anyone has written Boyd off have they? Not from anything I've read, could have missed it. Dubious about one of his signings possibly, but I'm not sure anyone so written him off.

Brackleysaint
15 May, 2018 14:10
This was the last post on the Haskell thread.

'After a dreadful performance last season, and an even worse one just finishing, we managed to beat Tigers and make some difficult decisions in letting long serving players go. For just one moment I thought I could see a tunnel, no light, just a tunnel in the far distance. And now this. Trust the coaches and management? Are you mad?
Boyd has shown his hand and played it. Very depressing.'

Hantsaintsrus4
Hantsaintsrus4 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:13
Interesting. In which position are you placing Hask in the team of the season and will he play in that position for us?

herbie85
herbie85 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:17
Didn't see that one, my phone is playing silly @#$%&. But most of the posts unhappy with the signing I've seen haven't called Boyd into question. Granted that last one seems too.

St. Andy
St. Andy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:27
As far as I am aware James Haskell has not committed a crime. He may have an ego, he may be a gob on a stick. So what? Nobody is asking the nay sayers to have him as a best mate.
You do not win over 70 caps for England and be a British Lion if you can't play. He has been signed so far for 1 year only, on reduced terms so for me, no big downside but potential huge up side.
I think a reality check is required, we came ninth and given a slightly different turn of events we could've been 11th. If it were not for Irish we would've been in a full blown relegation dog fight. Bristol are coming up and spending tons of money, they will be a different kettle of fish.
First and foremost we need to make sure we are not in danger of going down before we move on. Ambitions of top 4 again are pie in the sky at the moment. If it happens, great. I do not believe We could get a player of Haskell's quality for the apparent price and only for one year.
Also with regard to Boyd, he appears top class give the man a chance. Even he won't turn it completely around overnight.Perhaps we need to manage expectations.

SaintSurrey
SaintSurrey (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:15
Does anybody remember when that old, past it flanker, George Smith, joined Wasps and made a massive impact. Nurtured the young talent, then 2 years later they have an excellent group of young back rowers?

Asking for a friend

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:18
Quote:
The amount of procrastination on this site re Boydís signing of Haskell is unreal. We canít offer top tier European Rugby next season so that would disqualify a lot of potential targets who we would like plus also where players are in a World Cup cycle . We are at the start of a journey and to expect all the pieces in place for day one is unrealistic. Hask as a day one signing on a reduced rate one year deal with a World Cup as incentive is great business and I fully expect him to tear the Prem up - Iím calling it now as him being in next years Prem team of the season. Now if he was a year 2 Boyd signing I would probably question the logic of his signature (subject to how he was playing) but at present and based on where we are Iím comfortable with it and understand the logic.
I fully expect another sizeable clear out of players next year and Boyd to already have identified what pieces he wants in place on the board
As the Mighty Take That said ĎJust try and have a little patienceí
Totally agree and we should not loose sight of the fact that Chris Boyd has had no time for long term planning for this year, and at the end of a World Cup many All Blacks head north. And Chris Boyd has many All Blacks playing for the Canes.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:22
Signing Haskell is odd though, we need an 8 desperately and have lots of flankers already.

So yeah I question it, we are going to have either Wood, Haskell or Brussow play for the wandies each week. Those are three international players all in the twilight of their playing careers.

Questionable signing.

Guildford Saint
Guildford Saint (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:28
Quote:
SaintSurrey
Does anybody remember when that old, past it flanker, George Smith, joined Wasps and made a massive impact. Nurtured the young talent, then 2 years later they have an excellent group of young back rowers?
Asking for a friend

I thought that was why we signed Brousouw..?

If heís in as an 8, I donít mind this so much, but if heís expecting to play 7 when we have T, Brousouw and Ludlum all vying for game time, it makes no sense.

Edit: I do see Haskell as a good signing, but he needs to work around the existing options imho and that for me means at 8 or cover from the bench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 15:42 by Guildford Saint.

15 May, 2018 15:29
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Interesting. In which position are you placing Hask in the team of the season and will he play in that position for us?

I see 6 Gibson, 7 Hask & 8 T. I expect to see Hask carrying a lot

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:34
It's an interesting concept that some posters do not want Haskell because he what? Is a bit of a wind up merchant, goes on social media, is trying to develop a 'training' career outside of Rugby, has a glamorous (hopefully that is not too offensive, I could have said a lot worse) partner, stands up for himself. Please help me to understand why there are such strong negatives.

For those that say we have enough backrow players at present. Really ?
Harrison at 7; yes. Otherwise remind me how well we competed at the breakdown, how we gave away so many turnovers. Who carried the ball (not on the wing) but into traffic and made yards, Who caused the opposition serious pain by slowing down their ball, who made the big tackles knocking the opposition backwards. who gave us front foot ball. etc etc.

I think it is a brilliant signing. As Dylan posted ' start of the resurrection'

He will have a real positive effect on the players he will install fight and determination a can do attitude.
Sometimes you need some cojones in life to make a difference.

Some people would moan if they won the lottery :-)

MESSAGES->author
serious_saint (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:44
Great signing for the forthcoming season. Heíll want to prove Wasps wrong and is desparate to get into the World Cup squad. A highly motivated 70 cap England player and Lion in our back row? Yes please, every day of the week!

Hantsaintsrus4
15 May, 2018 16:05
Quote:
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

I see 6 Gibson, 7 Hask & 8 T. I expect to see Hask carrying a lot

Hask as the best 7 in the Prem next year? Blimey good luck with that one.

St. Andy
St. Andy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:06
I hear we need an 8 etc. but we need an 8 of absolutely top draw quality. Could be given all the circumstances pertaining, what we need is simply not available this coming season.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:14
Oh and everyone banging on about him being a multi capped international etc etc etc we have Tom Wood whose a multi capped international who canít even make the bench. Then we also have Brussow that multi capped international who canít even get a starting shirt.

Heís not an 8, heís not the best 7 at saints and will have a fight on his hands if he wants to take the 6 shirt off a very in form Gibson.

Itís not the player Iím critising, itís the fact we need an 8 and a 13 and yet we sign a 6.5 who may well b away for half the season.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:32
A lot depends on how much we're paying and how selfless he's willing to be. He can potentially add a lot to the squad in terms of helping the younger lads, leading training standards and covering the whole back row - however surely a player whose stated intention is making the RWC squad needs to be starting games?

That leads me to believe there aren't a lot of options out there for available 8's so he's helping out Eadie in that position or covering 7 so that T can play 8 again. Almost certainly doesn't displace Gibson as he's needed from a line out position even if you leave his excellent form and all round contribution aside. So if Wood is fit and firing then he and Gibson are competing for 6, then T, Brussow and Ludlam compete for 7 and Eadie and Hask compete for 8 but noting that a few can cover each other and potentially give Boyd some options. The Gibson and Wood combo never seemed to go well but that gives us a great lineout, playing T, Eadie and Hask together gives a lot of stopping power and graft etc..

Brackleysaint
15 May, 2018 16:36
Agree we now need a 13 through tragic circumstances, but I suspect that at the time Haskell originally put pen to paper that was not the case. I think the club announcement said he could play anywhere across the back row, perhaps that is the plan, perhaps that's his plan, prove to Eddie that his versatility can not be ignored. Let's judge people part of the way in to next season not before.

SaintGinge
SaintGinge (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:37
IMHO it seems like a very intelligent one year signing. Sign a world class player, hungry for work and to make a good impression to retain a spot for his final world cup AND manage to do it for (I am assuming here) not a massive cost.

End of the day if they are wearing G,B & G then they get my support...unless they kick the ball away too much...

acl saint
acl saint (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:38
I agree. You think weíd signed Fred West!!!
Some people psycho analyse ever word printed and ever microscopic piece of evidence.
Iím sure most couldnít run a bath never mind a rugby team.
The man isnít even landed yet but heís already failed by the signing of one single player.
Well I for one will look forward to Boyds style and speed of play. Exciting times ahead!!!!!!

Olney678
Olney678 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:39
I think The difference worth noting is Haskell is a current multi capped international. Wood has barely featured for Saints this season, whether it be fitness or form he's not been considered a 1st team regular. Brussow in my eyes is the one people should question, he has come in from Japan, not fully fit, as far as I'm concerned he has not proved himself to be worthy of the 7 shirt, therefore Haskell jumps in front of him imo. I agree with the Gibson, Haskell, Harrison combination - a good mix of grunt, dog, pace and an additional lineout option. Wood and Ludlum interchangeable on the bench or in the starting line up. We can not go into the season with only one decent option in each position. We have 7 options for the 3 starting positions and one bench spot. For me Brussow until he gets fit and proves himself in the Wanderers doesn't come into the equation. He's the one who should not have been signed if we are to question recruitment. While I agree that Ludlum needs game time, I wonder if he was made available which of the 8 clubs above us would have him in their starting line up.

If we were to improve and players such as Gibson and Harrison come back into international recognition, would we not be more comfortable with a back row that still consists of Wood and Haskell, as opposed to unproven academy players, for say when we play against a Saracens team that could boast a back row out of Wray, Clark and Burger.

As for top quality no.8's they don't grow on trees, Harrison has done the job before and I for one would be comfortable with him being the 8 going into next season. At the end of the day it is just a shirt number, others can step up and carry the ball. I don't recall it being an issue when Roger Wilson was our No.8 and he was not what you would call a monster in terms of his physical appearance.

Brackleysaint
15 May, 2018 16:43
I would be happy if we could recruit another Roger Wilson, hugely underestimated my many.

Wasp1978
Wasp1978 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:48
Who would you sign then?

St. Andy
St. Andy (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:33
The argument on here is becoming pretty circular. Haskell can hardly be held responsible for the form or fitness of Wood or Brussow. I fail to see that we have a surfeit of back rowers considering the attritional nature of the position and possibility of call up if it goes exceptionally well.
I entirely agree we seem to lack a top class 8 but that was compromised by Louis Picamoles upping sticks unexpectedly and never being replaced before turmoil descended.
Equally at 13 due to terrible circumstance a vacancy has arisen. The quality of player required are not a dime a dozen and even given unlimited funds, which we donít have, we are probably not an overly attractive destination right now. Leaving aside the fact that the player the new coach wants may not be currently available.
As stated before the first thing we must do is arrest our decline and make sure we do not find ourselves in a battle to avoid relegation. Then and only then can the new coach start to build back to a top 4 team. This whole thing is much more than a one year project

expeeler
expeeler (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:59
Itís true Hask attracts a lot of varied comments. That is as much about him as it is about us. A Ďwallflowerí he is not!

But as far as I am concerned, anyone who plays for the Saints gets assessed on one thing. PERFORMANCE. If a signing does their best, strives to be better, puts in a full shift and plays for the team, they are OK by me......If they are MoM every week then that is a bonus.

I was a bit unsure about this signing at first but I now see this as a very shrewd piece of business. And no, I do not question Boyd.... this is a great call from him in a critical transition year......

So lets not comment before we know all the facts. More signings might be in the offing.... if not we go with what we have. I am excited already....

fleetg
fleetg (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 20:30
Similar to some of the responses, I have also questioned the signing as most seem to think he will be our new 8 : bizarre as he is not an 8.
As for writing Boyd off what nonsense. Almost all posts questioning the signing have not even mentioned Boyd let alone write him off (just one example provided). I guess that doesn't fit the intended point though does it ?!

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 07:11
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Oh and everyone banging on about him being a multi capped international etc etc etc we have Tom Wood whose a multi capped international who canít even make the bench. Then we also have Brussow that multi capped international who canít even get a starting shirt.
Heís not an 8, heís not the best 7 at saints and will have a fight on his hands if he wants to take the 6 shirt off a very in form Gibson.

Itís not the player Iím critising, itís the fact we need an 8 and a 13 and yet we sign a 6.5 who may well b away for half the season.

He has not been signed instead of what you suggest. The requirement for an 8 and 13 is still there and recruitment hasnít ended yet. There is no reason why we canít recruit further in those positions. It wasnít a Hail Mary you have only one signing left scenario.

I keep saying... we all recognise there are gaps in the squad for next season but until recruitment is concluded itís pointless being negative about players signing ahead of other more perceived pressing positions.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:03
Cheer up. Haskell will be pleased he is being talked about.

Hantsaintsrus4
16 May, 2018 10:15
To be clear I think signing Hask has been a mistake by the management at this delicate point in our desperate rebuilding process. For this I blame the management. And yes that Buck does stop with Boyd. He was aware that a divisive player joining us at this point would cause a storm, and it has.
No one is writing Boyd off, but not all of us are disciples either. It would be perhaps be easier if he were in the country and able to manage the situation personally.
Since King Louis left every fan has been pleading for an 8 to appear, Hask is not that man and it's difficult to see how he fits into a Boyd type team.
Brussow and Gaffer were to be our saviours, said some, but it hasn't happened yet. Let's start with a team, not some controversial 'stars'.
Poor signing methinks, others will differ.

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
To be clear I think signing Hask has been a mistake by the management at this delicate point in our desperate rebuilding process. For this I blame the management. And yes that Buck does stop with Boyd. He was aware that a divisive player joining us at this point would cause a storm, and it has.
No one is writing Boyd off, but not all of us are disciples either. It would be perhaps be easier if he were in the country and able to manage the situation personally.
Since King Louis left every fan has been pleading for an 8 to appear, Hask is not that man and it's difficult to see how he fits into a Boyd type team.
Brussow and Gaffer were to be our saviours, said some, but it hasn't happened yet. Let's start with a team, not some controversial 'stars'.

I am not asking for any reason than my understanding
You say he is divisive
Can you point me in a undisputed direction that proves your point please

16 May, 2018 10:36
You need to look at this in the context of a 3 year plan.
Year 1 - stabilise ship - short term signings - top 6 target (makes recruitment easier) potentially nick Challenge Cup.
Year 2 - Another sizeable clear out - number of players become available due to end of WC cycle - side has a bigger Boyd influence - top 4 and EC quarter Finals minimum
Year 3 - Boyd fully has his team - win Prem and major Euro Challenge. transition to new DoR as donít see him here longer than 3 years - potentially Dowse.

Itís going to be a fun ride

MESSAGES->author
Flook (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:30
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
He was aware that a divisive player joining us at this point would cause a storm,

Only on here.

To quote Sir Winston Churchill

'The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Hantsaintsrus4
16 May, 2018 11:38
Quote:
Deesaint
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

You say he is divisive

I put to M'Lord the case of the Peckham Pouncer that must set a precedent in this difficult case. If there has been more than 3 posts since Hasks was signed he is indeed a divisive character. If not I accept your point.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:30
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

How is he so divisive? Massive ego, yes but loads of players are like that. Ref Picamoles, he's not a "King", he's a disloyal ex Saint and I have more contempt for him than Haskell. At least, or so it appears, Haskell wants to play for Saints.

Hantsaintsrus4
16 May, 2018 12:43
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

How is he so divisive? Massive ego, yes but loads of players are like that. Ref Picamoles, he's not a "King", he's a disloyal ex Saint and I have more contempt for him than Haskell. At least, or so it appears, Haskell wants to play for Saints.

You may be right, he describes himself as 'Marmite'. Everyone agrees that is awful.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:48
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

You may be right, he describes himself as 'Marmite'. Everyone agrees that is awful.

Now that, I do agree with!

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:57
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Quote:
Deesaint
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

You say he is divisive

I put to M'Lord the case of the Peckham Pouncer that must set a precedent in this difficult case. If there has been more than 3 posts since Hasks was signed he is indeed a divisive character. If not I accept your point.

He does seem to divide opinion but there seem to be a lack of substantive evidence in these threads as to why. It's mainly just that he has a bit more to say than most and has the whole PR/showbiz thing going on. Is there any evidence of him being divisive within a team or rugby club? I seem to remember Cips receiving a similar sort of divisive reaction before his latest stint in England, this seemed much more understandable and you can't really argue that particular gamble didn't pay off.

Also just as an alternative view to the 'causing a storm' point; I wonder if a little bit of a character/arrogance/ego/whatever you want to call it could actually help to freshen/shake up a group of players who, by common consensus have been under performing and lacking in spark? I wonder if Boyd may actually be intending for this to be a bit of a wake up call to the squad, as part of his vision for the 'rebuilding process'. Just a thought lyk...

Personally, the more opinions I read about this signing the more shrewd and considered it seems.

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:15
Now suppose - just suppose - Mr Boyd knows a rather good No 8 who would like to join us in 2019 then perhaps even his current keyboard critics might agree in hindsight that they have been ejaculating rather prematurely. Incidentally who says Haskell is a "divisive" player (in the sense that this affects his and his teammates on field performance) - can't see evidence of this?

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:57
Gafney was only ever here to assess the coaches and aid with transition - not bring in players, nor as a long term answer re DoR (or even stop gap)

We have 2 backrow with long term injuries who are 30plus.. wouldn't be surprised if one (at least) retires
Mitch Eadie was outstanding at the back end of the season when he got a start, it let T go play 7 (where he looked far better) and James Craig's injury free run took the pressure off Gibson once Daisy was written off

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:26
Quote:
St tub

We have 2 backrow with long term injuries who are 30plus.. wouldn't be surprised if one (at least) retires

Who are they ?

Deesaint
Deesaint (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:26
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Quote:
Deesaint
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

You say he is divisive

I don't agree with your argument - but I do like your style :-)

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:42
Quote:
tedge
Quote:
St tub

Who are they ?

Wood and Broussow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net