rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Deesaint
Paul Hill
Deesaint (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:33
Short interview with Paul regarding EJs invite to attend England training in Brighton
Glad to see some recognition for his endeavours
Would love to understand why he didnt get game time last season at Saints

tboullem
Re: Paul Hill
Mobbs (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:02
One of these days we might get to hear about what really went on at the Gardens over the last two or three years......but I will not hold my breath. No doubt Dylan will have 'a book' sooner or later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 09:38 by Mobbs.

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:15
Paul Hill must have had, by any measure, the weirdest 2 years in rugby!

England, joins top prem side, did well, got dropped, vanished, search parties couldn't find him, dropped from the B-Team. Myth passed into legend...

When all the other props were gone - he gets thrown into a tigers Derby against Genge and does really well... now back with England..

I hope there is a good explanation - but the poor guy is now 2 years behind in his potential development cycle.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:38
I think the explanation has just left the club........

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:50
As Adam Jones commented - as an experienced prop I did to the youngster (i.e. Hill) what used to happen to me as experienced props gave me a tough time when I was a youngster. I have always thought that Hill's confidence was shattered by the hammering he received from Adam and its taken time for him to recover.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:22
Hill has time on his side. He did need to develop his game but strangely didnt get the game time to do so. JFR got plenty and its probably helped him no end so to say we didnt give experience to young players is unfair but why Hill was overlooked i dont know.

Hopefully he can push on now as he has a good 10 years ahead of him.

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:45
Quote:
Eif Jones
As Adam Jones commented - as an experienced prop I did to the youngster (i.e. Hill) what used to happen to me as experienced props gave me a tough time when I was a youngster. I have always thought that Hill's confidence was shattered by the hammering he received from Adam and its taken time for him to recover.
d

Well I know you only post for effect but for even you to offer a Welsh explanation for this is quite an achievement !

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:33
It was just a case of Hill not being rated by West and also possibly Jim. every prop does and has been owned by another at some stage of their career. one experience does not preclude him for most of the season.

for what its worth I think he is one of the best around the park in the league. accepting he needs to work on set piece, his undoubted potential makes his prolonged absence mystifying

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:55
Yeah, I'm sure it was a single game that did for him.

protestbeat
protestbeat (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:21
I'll never forget that disallowed try he scored at Welford Road a few years back. I was so happy (for about 15 seconds). Can Boyd can get him rampaging around the field a la Dane Coles?

St.Sinner
St.Sinner (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:24
Hill is class and weve missed out on developing him as well as we could of. We will be lucky if he stays with us any longer than he has too, and Id be sad to see him go. How Brookes has been picked ahead of him just sums up Dorian West the last few years. Clueless.

Guildford Saint
Guildford Saint (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:31
Hopefully hell be happy with the new forwards coach, put it behind him and happily push on with the team.

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:35
Quote:
Eif Jones

I remember a Heineken cup game against Ospreys at the Gardens a few years ago now when Jones got destroyed by a young Alex Waller. I had a mate with me who is an Ospreys fan. Hilarious so it was. I remember going to the Millenium a few months later when England beat Wales and he got destroyed yet again by either Mako or Cole, can't remember which one. Good though!

MESSAGES->author
Matthew (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:46
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Eif Jones

I remember a Heineken cup game against Ospreys at the Gardens a few years ago now when Jones got destroyed by a young Alex Waller. I had a mate with me who is an Ospreys fan. Hilarious so it was. I remember going to the Millenium a few months later when England beat Wales and he got destroyed yet again by either Mako or Cole, can't remember which one. Good though!

My first thought on Eif's post too. Waller turned a couple of Lions inside out that season, as I recall.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

Christoff
smitferbrainz (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:53
Quote:
Matthew
Quote:
smitferbrainz
Quote:
Eif Jones

My first thought on Eif's post too. Waller turned a couple of Lions inside out that season, as I recall.

He did Matthew. That led up to the Saxon's cap and he may have been considered unlucky not to get a full cap. To me, since then, our previous coaching team tried to grind him into the dust by overplaying him to a massive extent imo. He's not quite been the same since. Used properly he could be that good again. That Waller and a properly trusted Hill could make our front row really good again.

Lamont4Saints
Lamont4Saints (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:48
Hill and Jones are both tight heads, so not sure how Jones did a number on him (unless injury forced Jones to loose Head).

Dragonboy
Dragonboy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:54
Quote:
Lamont4Saints
Hill and Jones are both tight heads, so not sure how Jones did a number on him (unless injury forced Jones to loose Head).
Game in question saw the Quinn's loose head go off very early on and they brought Jones on to play at 1 out of position for him, which rather made the whole thing worse for Paul I think.

Casual Saint
Casual Saint (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:21
New broom, new start. An opportunity for players who may have been in limbo to kick start their careers. Hopefully Paul Hill can take the chance and develop into the player that he has the potential to be.

Once a scrum half .... always a scrum half

tedge
tedge (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:46

saltman
saltman (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 04:32
I heard he went camping near Betws-y-Coed and when he saw Swallow Falls he realised he would never witness such beauty on the River Nene. Shattered and lost by this revelation, it took Paul two years to come to terms with it and understand that Northamptonshire is beautiful in different ways.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 08:02
Quote:
saltman
I heard he went camping near Betws-y-Coed and when he saw Swallow Falls he realised he would never witness such beauty on the River Nene. Shattered and lost by this revelation, it took Paul two years to come to terms with it and understand that Northamptonshire is beautiful in different ways.

Ha! I damn near spat my coffee over my PC screen reading that.

St tub
St tub (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:31
Hmm.. the Eif detractor bandwagon are 100% wrong here..

Adam Jones (as dragonboy notes) came on very early in the game (I was sat behind the posts thinking we've got this in the bag..) and played out of position.. he was also carrying a knock, unfit to play 80mins and from memory Quins also went down to 7 in the pack
Yet we got stuffed in the scrum on Hilly's side the entire game - AJ was immense

Same thing happened to PH vs Leinster and also vs Tigers

No-one is writing off PH - Eif is making the point that very experienced props will make a point of tearing into youngsters with big reputations.. one learns and as we saw towards the end of the season, they come back stronger

In the media love for all things big hit / 40yard carrying / pseudo 7 turnovers - one can forget the point of a prop is to scrummage, to hit 40-50 rucks, to stand at guard in a non-shall pass capacity and to be a key part of the lineout..

It's all good

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 11:11
Eif does tend to bring these things onto himself as does another frequent poster of our acquaintance !

ajack
ajack (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 11:43
Courtney Lawes was also training with England and winning caps when he couldn't make the Saints starting 15. He has been invited to a training camp not to play, but to learn systems and techniques just as he is doing at Saints. The guy has potential but that doesn't mean he is there yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net