rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

rugbymel
George North’s contract
rugbymel (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 11:47
[www.bbc.co.uk]

One has to question why the WRU continually arranges matches outside the agreed international windows.

protestbeat
Re: George North’s contract
protestbeat (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:31
Because their end game is to bring all their internationals back home and these situations put pressure on the clubs and also, most importantly the players to pick their country over their club. Also for TV money. I think it makes sense for a number of reasons for the WRU. Should they be allowed to get away with it is perhaps the question?

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:59
The International Windows exist to allow all member countries the ability to schedule domestic competitions without clashing with International matches. They also help control the amount of Rugby players are expected to play.

What is the point of having an agreement if people are going to break it?

PowerCuts
Tsar Brite (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 14:46
Wales vs South Africa in Washington DC was funded by RIM a subsidiary of the USA eagles. Both teams were paid £750000 to play this match. That why Wales broke the agreement.

rugbymel
rugbymel (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:58
The money may be a good reason but Gatland shouldn’t moan about players being unavailable. The rules is the rules.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 17:32
Stop moaning

Who was it that stopped Barcley from playing for Scotland outside the windows?

No one should moan any country

Eif Jones
Eif Jones (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 00:56
There's also some kind of agreement with their shirt manufacturers whose head office is nearby.

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 07:25
Quote:
protestbeat
Because their end game is to bring all their internationals back home and these situations put pressure on the clubs and also, most importantly the players to pick their country over their club. Also for TV money. I think it makes sense for a number of reasons for the WRU. Should they be allowed to get away with it is perhaps the question?

With respect it has nothing to do with the players. It’s all about money. If WRFU had all players contracted to regions they would still play outside the window. No they shouldn’t get away with it and the international body should prevent them from doing so otherwise what is the point of setting it in the first place

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 08:04
If you read this BBC article about the Dragons expecting no issues with Moriaty's release for the tour, it mentioned George North
Quote:
Northampton confirming they are "in open discussions" with the Ospreys-bound wing to end his contract early so he can tour with Wales".

So not a done deal yet that George will be available. Presumably the easy resolution is "if you want to go, you can ask to be released from the rest of your contract, and we won't pay you for that period."

And the comment about Moriaty being OK because
Quote:
I would imagine that the fact that he's contracted to a Welsh region now, I would hope and expect that he'd be available for the tour
Which completely misses the fact that current contracts run until what, the end of June?

sainttim
Saint Tim (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 14:33
Contracts have fixed end dates to stop unscrupulous owners effectively laying off players over the summer.

Sadsaint
Sadsaint (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 11:57
I may be out of the loop but I thought Wales RFU could not afford to keep their internationals playing in Wales.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net