rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

HungryLikeTheWolf
New players - new saintsmen
Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:19
I donít want to rake back over the debates of the last few days but this is how I see new signings and I wondered whether others agree

- a player may have done right or wrong in the past but when they are signed for Saints, the slate is cleaned with industrial chemicals
- new players are given the chance to become great Saintsmen, whoever they are
- when they enter the pitch for the first time and their name is announced, the ground cheers and welcomes them to our famous club
- the supporters welcome the new player into the saints family and shout ongoing encouragement
- the encouragement continues assuming the new player is committed and tries his best
- if the above changes, we can all take a view but beforehand every single new player is given the benefit of any doubt.

The above also counts for any new coaches or management

tboullem
Re: New players - new saintsmen
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:31
If only life were that simple, but give it a try, why not. Personally I intend to give rugby a bloody good ignoring until the pre-season friendlies come along. The sun is shining and the cricket season is in full swing !

Saint Ted
Saint Ted (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:46
Completely agree with both posts!

Clean sheet, same applies to all current players. This is a new regime and they all deserve a fair crack under new styles

I'm with you Mobbs, won't be paying any attention to the England games but will be looking forward to the new season

Sometimes, especially after a lions tour, supporters need a bit of a breather to get the love back so to speak

HerbieSaint
HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:59
Well said WP! Looking forward to the pre-season to welcome all the new guys.

In the meantime, come on Northants Steelbacks! Although it's not looking great so far...

Walks11
Walks11 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 16:51
I agree..

but there will be those that have made their mind up to castigate certain individuals come what may and make never ending allowances for others

twsaint
twsaint (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:06
I agree entirely Wilson, once thy join they are one of us.

St Saltaire
St Saltaire (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:27
Very laudable sentiments Wilson but it has been fun reading the furore over James Haskell. St Ted must be delighted with the traffic generated.
I canít agree with you entirely - some people are not welcome and if the Club were to sign them I would expect an outcry (e.g. the two ex Ulster players). Luckily the Board and Coaching staff appear to be selecting new players wisely.

Box kick it
Box kick it (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:34
Do you remember the arguments when Corne Kruiger joined. This is nothing compared to that and he turned out ok.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:30
I will go out of my way to welcome Hask if I should bump into him anywhere. We are early arrivals at the gardens on matchdays and often meet the players coming in from the back pitches or just entering the lower churches players area. Two years ago spent 10 mins one week talking to Victor M there. My experience is that if you talk to the players they will talk to you, with only 1 0r 2 exceptions

headman
headman (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 11:27
Spoke to james haskell at a Saints testimonial dinner in London for a now ex Saints player. He gave up part of his holiday to be there and was a gentleman throughout - witty and charming. All this fuss about him at saints next year is rubbish

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:06
Never met the guy but he just seems to be enjoying himself. Sometimes he seems to speak without necessarily thinking of the consequences, but when Tom Wood did it, he was praised for it.

If he can prove to be good enough to get in the England team, then he's got to be good enough for us.

He's a player that's been there and done it all and can surely only benefit the club. And if he doesn't, we've only lost a year and not signed the player Boyd really wanted who doesn't seem available.

Welcome James, sorry it took so long to come round to the idea.

At least he's making sure that we will remember his name rather than "the chap with the red hat"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net